Vista RTM ATI driver not installing

mattdh

10 posts in this topic

I have been trying all day long to install Vista on my Mac Pro. I have been able to install both the 32 bit and

64bit version without any errors. Except for the fact of my ATI X1900 not working

I only get 640x480 4bit color. When I look in device manager it says not enough resources?

This is a MAC PRO for crying out loud there are enough resources.

Has anybody found a work around for this problem?

This is a standard 2.66 mac pro with 1 extra SATA HDD installed

I have gotten the sound/network, etc working but no video

If anybody can offer me any advice that would be great because i am running out of ideas.

Is this a bootcamp flaw? I have the newest beta installed

XP PRO SP2 was working awesome

Did a fresh install of vista RTM not an upgrade

Thank you in advance for any tips you may have to get this working

I have been trying all day long to install Vista on my Mac Pro. I have been able to install both the 32 bit and

64bit version without any errors. Except for the fact of my ATI X1900 not working

I only get 640x480 4bit color. When I look in device manager it says not enough resources?

This is a MAC PRO for crying out loud there are enough resources.

Has anybody found a work around for this problem?

This is a standard 2.66 mac pro with 1 extra SATA HDD installed

I have gotten the sound/network, etc working but no video

If anybody can offer me any advice that would be great because i am running out of ideas.

Is this a bootcamp flaw? I have the newest beta installed

XP PRO SP2 was working awesome

Did a fresh install of vista RTM not an upgrade

Thank you in advance for any tips you may have to get this working

Take a look at the folowing thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32998

I am having the same issue, but am using the Nvidia 7300 GT. I found that by disabling the PCI-E x16 listing in the Device manager I was able to get 32 bit color at 1280x1024 but not only does that remove any mention of having a display adapter, Vista uses something called "VGASave" as the display driver. From what I've gatherd so far, it looks as if some of the main board devices will need updated drivers and I have not had any luck finding them on the Bootcamp driver disk... If you figure out anything beyond my meeger discoveries, please let me know. Thanks.

I saw that thread earlier and starting noticing it seems to be a wide spread issue

Went to intels website and downloaded any updated driver I could find for the 5000x chipset and that didn't do a thing. Only driver I found had to do with RAID. I'm starting to think apple needs to update their driver CD with support for vista and not just XP

I was thinking of tryiing vista on my Mac Pro , but am waiting for someone to fix this issue.

Since you guys are trying let me ask you think,Have ou tried to force the drivers for your gfx cards from the bootcamp driver cd to install ?

In windows sometimes clicking on the ini file and choosing install works.

I was thinking of tryiing vista on my Mac Pro , but am waiting for someone to fix this issue.

Since you guys are trying let me ask you think,Have ou tried to force the drivers for your gfx cards from the bootcamp driver cd to install ?

In windows sometimes clicking on the ini file and choosing install works.

I have done that with both the driver from the Bootcamp CD (which i extracted onto my local drive) and the Nvidia RC2 driver. No luck with either. It keeps giving me and error code 12 (Not enough resources)

I tried in safe mode and it had no effect at all. Driver would not start in safe mode.

Right when I went back into none safe mode I got the exact same error

I don't know why it would say 2GB is required. The requirements for Vista is only 1GB

While installing vista the first time under bootcamp I did notice something strange

It is running in 640x480 4bit color mode during install as well.

I am now installing under vmware and the color problem at least during install is gone.

I think that maybe bootcamp is causing vista to screw up and it has nothing to do with a driver that has to be installed. Because this is the RTM copy of vista you would tend to thing microsoft would want their install to be as pretty as possible. the x1900 did come out before vista was finished. So one would tend to think that the installer would recognize the card and be able to have more then 4bit colors.

I will know more once install has completed in vmware.

Also the RAM requirement should have nothing to do with it. Vista can just use HDD space if their is not enough ram. Vista would just run slower then normal since HDD access is not as fast as RAM

I was able to install vista with very little trouble in vmware

network and sound drivers are not working but video is working just fine

I think our problem is something directly associated with bootcamp

Or I guess it could be a driver issue. Since Microsoft I doubt designed into vista the ability to run on a mac with little trouble. Guess we will have to wait and see what apple does with the next bootcamp release