[10.13.4] RX 580 Gigabyte Gaming 8GB - 4K Movie Lag

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming 8GB running on a Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 on High Sierra 10.13.4.

Sadly, I am unable to watch 4K movies because it lags too much (VLC, Web Players, etc.)

I have done many many attempts of getting it to work. What I have right now :

DSDT Patches

- change HECI to IMEI

- change GFX0 to IGPU

- change PEGP to GFX0

Scenario with IGPU Disabled

MP4 4k video (such as Sony sample) are extremely smooth in Quicktime and VLC.

MKV 4K video are laggy in every software (VLC 3.0, IINA, etc.)

Scenario with IGPU Enabled

1. Without ig-platform-id set (i.e [IGPU] Graphics driver failed to load:could not register with Framebuffer driver.)

Everything runs buttery smooth, but wrong Intel drivers are loaded and CPU usage is huge.

rKV3bKU.jpg"[/IMG]

2. With ig-platform-id set to 0x5912003 (i.e Intel loads fine)

Proper drivers are used, but MKV are laggy... :( but better CPU consomption

j3cECfW.jpg

Full specs list

1x Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

1x Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

1x Kingston - FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

2x Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

1x Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB Gaming 8G Video Card

1x Gigabyte - AC300W ATX Mid Tower Case

1x Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

1x TP-Link - Archer T9E PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter

Thank you

Edited by jamesst20

2 hours ago, Picasso said:

Efi Folder to check config and kext

Sorry for not attaching in my comment. I am not allowed more than 10MB

https://www.sendspace.com/file/o4im4f

Edit: I don't know if I am the only one suffering from that, but I had to remove a CSS attribute that was on display: none to be able to create my thread. Otherwise there were no textbox to type the content

Edited by jamesst20

8 hours ago, Picasso said:

Try this folder replacing your EFI. Its a configuration made it by Maldon and works perfect.

Check your As media controler is disable in bios, if you have problems with shutdown-restart.

CLOVER.zip

Hi,

I just found this player https://mpv.io and I experience no lag at all with my current EFI.

I tried the EFI you linked, and the behavior is the same for VLC and 4K MKV. I can't explain why it lags when IGPU is properly loaded, and don't when IGPU is not properly loaded but enabled in BIOS.

Maybe you know?

I do have shutdown problem, however it can be fixed with "Shutdown Fix" in Clover. However, there is a downside I am unable to fix: the leds on the motherboard stays powered on in case you know.

I sadly couldn't find "AS Media Controller" in BIOS.

I won't risk myself sharing the link for the 4K MKV as it is probably against the rule, but the file name is "The.Legend.of.Tarzan.2017.MULTi.TRUEFRENCH.2160p.UHD.BluRay.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos.HDR.x265-Poney.mkv" in case you want to find it.

8 hours ago, maoyeye said:

Yes that's what I am using?

For my understanding RX 580 dont need any kext.

No whatevergreen or lilu. Nothing.

No Shiki.

No Gpu sensors.

Try one more time cleaning your efi folder of kext for gpus. Let clover do the work.

Yuo can disable kext from Clover menu.

Edited by Picasso

1 hour ago, jamesst20 said:

Hi,

I just found this player https://mpv.io and I experience no lag at all with my current EFI.

I tried the EFI you linked, and the behavior is the same for VLC and 4K MKV. I can't explain why it lags when IGPU is properly loaded, and don't when IGPU is not properly loaded but enabled in BIOS.

Maybe you know?

I do have shutdown problem, however it can be fixed with "Shutdown Fix" in Clover. However, there is a downside I am unable to fix: the leds on the motherboard stays powered on in case you know.

I sadly couldn't find "AS Media Controller" in BIOS.

I won't risk myself sharing the link for the 4K MKV as it is probably against the rule, but the file name is "The.Legend.of.Tarzan.2017.MULTi.TRUEFRENCH.2160p.UHD.BluRay.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos.HDR.x265-Poney.mkv" in case you want to find it.

Yes that's what I am using?

Why would you need iGPU if you are using a RX 580?

6 minutes ago, Picasso said:

For my understanding RX 580 dont need any kext.

No whatevergreen or lilu. Nothing.

No Shiki.

No Gpu sensors.

Try one more time cleaning your efi folder of kext for gpus. Let clover do the work.

Yuo can disable kext from Clover menu.

Just did : https://www.sendspace.com/file/n510lc

Behavior is exactly the same though

4 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Why would you need iGPU if you are using a RX 580?

Isn't required for Quick Sync, AirPlay video, and to make it more like a real iMac which has IGPU enabled?

With IGPU disabled in BIOS, the behavior is exactly the same

Edited by jamesst20

1 minute ago, jamesst20 said:

Isn't required for Quick Sync, AirPlay video, and to make it more like a real iMac which has IGPU enabled?

With IGPU disabled in BIOS, the behavior is exactly the same

Airplay works fine without iGPU, unless you actually need QuickSync, which most don't there is no need for it.

2 minutes ago, Pavo said:

Airplay works fine without iGPU, unless you actually need QuickSync, which most don't there is no need for it.

Well right now VLC MKV performance are same with IGPU Enabled or Not. They are just better when IGPU is enabled but it fails to load because I leave ig-platform-id blank. However it slows boot time

16 minutes ago, Picasso said:

Are your monitor conected to a GPU port? 

If you work with FCX, IGPU could be a little faster in some work processing h264/h265. If not a don't see any change using igpu.

Yes it is connected to the RX580's DP Port :)

Edited by jamesst20