Clover now boots from my windows drive too ???

pancakefries

12 posts in this topic

I have 2 drives in my computer, one with OS X Sierra and the other with Windows 10.  I originally installed clover on just the osx one but after selecting boot from the windows drive in clover one time, it now opens clover every single time i boot on the windows drive, which i didn't even install clover on to begin with.  I can't seem to find anything on how to remove clover from windows drives so does anyone know what I could do?  I don't want to have to manually select to boot from windows every single time i boot my computer because it's my main OS and I only use OSX occasionally, which is what it boots into by default on both drives.

Are you booting with UEFI or Legacy?

I am guessing that the boot sequence changed from first Windows drive to first Clover drive. You need to get to the BIOS and update the boot priority.

Another way to do this is to update Clover to autoboot to Windows as default. You could use Clover Configurator to do that. If you are going down this path, select the System Reserved partition as boot on MBR, not the partition with Windows.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, namvan said:

Are you booting with UEFI or Legacy?

I am guessing that the boot sequence changed from first Windows drive to first Clover drive. You need to get to the BIOS and update the boot priority.

Another way to do this is to update Clover to autoboot to Windows as default. You could use Clover Configurator to do that. If you are going down this path, select the System Reserved partition as boot on MBR, not the partition with Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thanks, I'm booting with UEFI and I did change the boot sequence to boot my windows drive first but clover still boots regardless of which hard drive I boot from.  Do you think I could mount the EFI partition and try to remove Clover from there?

Well, Clover won't clone itself to your Windows drive otherwise it would be a virus.

I think what happened was that your Windows drive failed to boot properly so as a fallback, the Clover drive was used.

If you could get to BIOS and disable boot from all drives except the Windows one, you would see the real problem if any.

If you do not mind to mess around with cables then just unplug all drives, except the one with Windows. Let it boot and if okay plug other drives back again.

I have another guess that somehow you have installed Clover to your Windows drive. Hard to tell and hard to prove.

1 hour ago, pancakefries said:

I have 2 drives in my computer, one with OS X Sierra and the other with Windows 10.  I originally installed clover on just the osx one but after selecting boot from the windows drive in clover one time, it now opens clover every single time i boot on the windows drive, which i didn't even install clover on to begin with.  I can't seem to find anything on how to remove clover from windows drives so does anyone know what I could do?  I don't want to have to manually select to boot from windows every single time i boot my computer because it's my main OS and I only use OSX occasionally, which is what it boots into by default on both drives.

Just for me to understand this clear, please confirm and post some photos of your boot selection in BIOS setting.

Previously:

- Boot into Windows directly. No selection, no Clover screen whatsoever.

- When needed to boot to OSX, what did you have to do?

Now:

- Regardless of any option/way to hack, what are these options/hacks?, you are greeted with Clover screen and the default boot is not to Windows.

Edited by namvan
more questions

31 minutes ago, namvan said:

Just for me to understand this clear, please confirm and post some photos of your boot selection in BIOS setting.

Previously:

Now:

- Regardless of any option/way to hack, what are these options/hacks?, you are greeted with Clover screen and the default boot is not to Windows.

So, previously windows would boot directly, no Clover, to boot into OSX i opened the boot selection screen by pressing F11 when booting my computer and selecting the hard drive with OSX installed, which would open Clover and autoboot after a couple of seconds into macOS.

Now, regardless of whether I boot from the drive with macOS or the drive with Windows, Clover automatically comes up and if I don't select it myself it will boot into OSX.

The attached picture is the screen I get when booting from either drive and the boot options are macOS, Windows EFI boot from SYSTEM, Windows from Legacy HD3, HD4, and HD5, and Windows from LRS_ESP

The boot menu lists:

- UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell

- SATA4 (drive with Windows)

- SATA3 (drive with macOS)

- Windows Boot Manager

- Enter Setup (UEFI)

IMG_4074.jpg

Edited by pancakefries

7 hours ago, namvan said:

Previously:

Now:

also, I removed the macOS drive from the boot order in BIOS but Clover still came up when booting from the Windows drive

3 hours ago, Hervé said:

Then you probably installed Clover on your Windows drive... You can configure it to boot Windows directly (using Clover Configurator app for instance), that could be easier than trying to remove it and restore the original boot init.

I tried seeing if I could with Clover Configurator but there isn't a config.plist to edit anywhere in the SYSTEM partition and I'm still not really sure why Clover would even be on that disk since I never installed it on there.  Also, if I need to use a windows version of configurator could you please link me one?  All the versions I found are only for mac

There is not a Windows version of Clover Configurator made yet. Would you mind contribute one? I will definitely use it.

Can you post your Motherboard model, best with link to its website for the correct reference?

Also if you would take photo of your BIOS where you selected boot priority...

As Herve has pointed out, it might be a lot easier to reconfigure the current Clover, of course in Mac, to default the boot to your Windows rather than messing around with boot priority.

Here is briefly how (from my memory). I could do some screenshots when I get home tonight. This is now a serious business :D but it is not hard.

- Download and Extract Clover Configurator. you could use the Vibrant version.

- Run it and on the menu on the left hand side, select Mount EFI or something like that

- You would see the list of your drives on the right hand side, upper part. Read through and find the correct drive of your Mac.

- Select Mount EFI, a new drive labelled EFI will appear in your Finder.

- Open the config.plist from that drive and edit it using Clover Configurator. You would need to find where it it :D

- Mind you to take a copy of that file somewhere safe in case you mess it up.

- Don't forget to save it after editing the change.

Well this will be the hardest and most fun part. You will need to read through Clover wiki from the link provided above by Herve (thanks mate).

Good luck messing around.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, really sorry for such a late response but what with AP exams and such I got a bit busy.  I did check to see what would happen if i removed the disk that I installed macOS on and the only disk that should have clover on it, but upon booting with only my Windows drive in my computer I'm greeted with this screen after the mobo screen and I can't do anything from this screen.  I'm not really sure what to do...

IMG_4780.jpg