Anyone with a GA X299 Gaming 7 Pro?

5 posts in this topic

Hi.

Is there anyone with this motherboard? It seems to tick all the boxes for me, in particular improved VRM.

It has a Thunderbolt AIC header on the motherboard, and the Web pages states thst it supports it.

However, when you check the manual and look at the Peripherals BIOS screen, there's no Thunderbolt entry there nor is it listed in the manual. The manual for the Gaming 7 (non pro) or the Gaming 9, do show a Thunderbolt entry there.

So I was wondering if it's a BIOS bug or just the manual that somehow made a mistake.

The Thunderbolt menu won't show up unless a cable is plugged into the header, and connected to the AIC card. Which means you should have the TB card already installed. The only other time the menu will appear is when a onboard TB controller exists. (Like on the GA-Designaire Mobo)

Are you sure?

That would be a new behaviour.

Every X299 MB I've tested so far (asus, asrock, MSI) had a permanent thunderbolt entry in the BIOS (showing under Peripherals), with TB disabled by default.

It would always show even with the card not plugged in.

Anyhow, I'll try it myself when the MB arrive on Tuesday.

Ok...

Took me a while to test as Gigabyte x299 boards use a 5pins 2mm pitch connector vs the usual TB connector using a 2.54mm pitch.

Indeed, you're right.. The thunderbolt BIOS entry shows up once the card is recognised *and* is placed in PCIx4_2 and only this port.

No way to put the TB3 card in any other ports.

Which sucks big time, as it means I can have my 2nd graphic cards in PCIx16_2 (it's a 2 slots card: 1080Ti)

• 4 weeks later...