Surface Pro 2017 Hackintosh High Sierra

Naborisk

23 posts in this topic

Surface Pro 2017 - macOS Sierra 10.13.4 with Graphics Acceleration Working

Working:

- Graphics Acceleration - using clover patch

- Audio (Speakers and Headphone Jack, even microphone) - using AppleALC

- Type Cover (keyboard works perfectly/ no trackpad gestures)

- Brightness - using Rehabman patch

Partially Working / Maybe:

- Sleep/ Wake - Monitor did sleeps and wake but I'm unsure if the CPU really sleeps

Not Working:

- WiFi (probably never will) - workaround: USB dongle

- Bluetooth - workaround: USB dongle

- Camera

- Touchscreen (I don't expect it to work anyways)

- Trackpad gestures

the EFI folder is attached below

Installation

- make a bootable usb using /createinstallmedia tool on a Mac

- install clover onto the bootable usb we've created

- while installing, the default config file from the EFI folder I provided will not work, to make it work for installation, change ig-platform-id to 0x12345678

- install macOS

- upon installing macOS High Sierra, don't forget to disable APFS conversion, you can follow this guide:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-avoid-apfs-conversion-on-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/

- boot with the EFI folder attached below

- for the first boot, please change ig-platform-id to 0x12345678 and after booting successfully, rebuild kextcache by running "sudo kextcache -i /" in terminal

- profit!

My newer EFI folder with AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA for audio (Thanks emileet for the suggestion)

link: https://mega.nz/#!3BsAGCyI!-wBPvCNHGwxN3pa0HS4i-6OfmpsIILrGIqllhaSL-cQ

config.plist

Edited by Naborisk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a relatively flawless setup of macOS 10.13.4 running on my Surface Pro i7 16GB 512GB Iris 640 with backlight working.
To get backlight working you'll need to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext, apply the AppleBacklight patch in your CLOVER/config.plist, and install SSDT-PNLF.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Follow this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

I recommend you switch to AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA for audio as Voodoo has an issue with mic input https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC.
Also install the NullEthernet to get iMessage, FaceTime etc working properly https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet, as they require a en0/Built-In network device to validate (you still need to do the whole SMBIOS stuff too).
Get rid of IntelGraphicsFixup.kext as it causes issues with window shadows.

I've included my EFI folder below incase someone with similar specs wants to get their device running macOS.
If you're having kernel panic issues, remove Lilu.kext from CLOVER/kexts/Other and install it later once you have everything operational.
You'll also need to set ig-platform-id=0x12345678 instead of the 640 iris definition when booting into the installer or if you're having trouble booting into macOS before the frame buffer related patches are applied.

Screenshot:

Spoiler

PYXsBTk.png

EFI https://drive.google.com/open?id=10910dvJn8wot2sxEf5lK_7H7OF9vITxg

Edited by emileet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/12/2018 at 12:32 AM, emileet said:

I have a relatively flawless setup of macOS 10.13.4 running on my Surface Pro i7 16GB 512GB Iris 640 with backlight working.
To get backlight working you'll need to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext, apply the AppleBacklight patch in your CLOVER/config.plist, and install SSDT-PNLF.aml to CLOVER/ACPI/patched. Follow this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-laptop-backlight-control-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

I recommend you switch to AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA for audio as Voodoo has an issue with mic input https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC.
Also install the NullEthernet to get iMessage, FaceTime etc working properly https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet, as they require a en0/Built-In network device to validate (you still need to do the whole SMBIOS stuff too).

I've included my EFI folder below incase someone with similar specs wants to get their device running macOS.
If you're having kernel panic issues, remove Lilu.kext from CLOVER/kexts/Other and install it later once you have everything operational.
You'll also need to set ig-platform-id=0x12345678 instead of the 640 iris definition when booting into the installer or if you're having trouble booting into macOS before the frame buffer related patches are applied.

Screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

PYXsBTk.png

Thanks a lot, my backlight is now working. Surprisingly enough, backlight keys also work (fn + del/ fn + backspace), that was quite unexpected though. I've also managed to get sound working through AppleALC by injecting layout id 3.

At first I did follow that tutorial and I was confused on the DSDT/SSDT part thinking that I need my DSDT/SSDT to be patched but it turns out I just have to put SSDT-PNLF.aml in the ACPI/patched folder.

BTW, do you have smooth brightness transition when pressing brightness button and/or sleeping/waking?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2018 at 11:50 AM, Naborisk said:

Surface Pro 2017 - macOS Sierra 10.13.2 with Graphics Acceleration Working

Working:

- Graphics Acceleration - using clover patch

- Audio (Speakers and Headphone Jack, even microphone) - using voodoohda

- Type Cover (keyboard works perfectly/ no trackpad gestures)

- Brightness - using Rehabman patch

Partially Working / Maybe:

- Sleep/ Wake - Monitor did sleeps and wake but I'm unsure if the CPU really sleeps

Not Working:

- WiFi (probably never will) - workaround: USB dongle

- Bluetooth - workaround: USB dongle

- Camera

- Touchscreen (I don't expect it to work anyways)

- Trackpad gestures

the EFI folder is attached below

Installation

- make a bootable usb using /createinstallmedia tool on a Mac

- install clover onto the bootable usb we've created

- while installing, the default config file from the EFI folder I provided will not work, to make it work for installation, change ig-platform-id to 0x12345678

- install macOS

- boot with the EFI folder attached below

- for the first boot, please change ig-platform-id to 0x12345678 and after booting successfully, rebuild kextcache by running "sudo kextcache -i /" in terminal

- profit!

EDIT: for some reason I can't upload my EFI folder, I'll try again later. Here, in the meantime I've uploaded my config.plist

config.plist

EDIT 2: link to my EFI folder https://mega.nz/#!vYsW1YjL!SDNwth2ig97gwddKjQWf56tQ7kBfVckwa01WnWpa_tY

I have I7 8GB RAM 256GB

I use your EFI for installation. After I boot to my Mac and install the leftover. After I Restart from High Sierra installation , The Macintosh Drive is gone... Any Clues?

Edited by VrTech

4 hours ago, VrTech said:

I have I7 8GB RAM 256GB

I use your EFI for installation. After I boot to my Mac and install the leftover. After I Restart from High Sierra installation , The Macintosh Drive is gone... Any Clues?

Yea, macOS High Sierra installer probably converts  your drive into APFS filesystem. Clover can’t see APFS so you need to put apfs.efi in Clover/drivers64UEFI. But what I would recommend is to reinstall macOS and prevent the installer from converting you drive to APFS: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-avoid-apfs-conversion-on-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/. Or if your drive is HFS+ and clover still can’t see it then check in Clover/drivers64UEFI and see if hfsplus.efi is there.

Edited by Naborisk
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 4:29 AM, Naborisk said:

Yea, macOS High Sierra installer probably converts  your drive into APFS filesystem. Clover can’t see APFS so you need to put apfs.efi in Clover/drivers64UEFI. But what I would recommend is to reinstall macOS and prevent the installer from converting you drive to APFS: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-avoid-apfs-conversion-on-high-sierra-update-or-fresh-install.232855/. Or if your drive is HFS+ and clover still can’t see it then check in Clover/drivers64UEFI and see if hfsplus.efi is there.

Hi, I got it working but I also got some graphics glitches? Do you know why? Thank you so much

IMG_4411 (2).JPG

9 minutes ago, VrTech said:

Hi, I got it working but I also got some graphics glitches? Do you know why? Thank you so much

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7imageproxy.php?img=&key=c17464ef1b1b51c7

IMG_4411 (2).JPG

Seems you got Graphics Acceleration working.

That might be Iris Pro related problem since I have i5 with HD620 and has no glitches.

On 4/11/2018 at 1:32 PM, emileet said:

Screenshot:

Reveal hidden contents

PYXsBTk.png

I think I have the same Spec as you. Do you know what is the problem with the graphics? Thanks.

Surface Pro i7 16GB 256GB Iris 640

Also, I used your Efi and the graphics card doesn't work. What fake id/ig platform should I replace? for now it's 0x12345678

IMG_4411 (2).JPG

Edited by VrTech

2 hours ago, VrTech said:

I think I have the same Spec as you. Do you know what is the problem with the graphics? Thanks.

Surface Pro i7 16GB 256GB Iris 640

Also, I used your Efi and the graphics card doesn't work. What fake id/ig platform should I replace? for now it's 0x12345678

IMG_4411 (2).JPG

ig-platform-id of 0x12345678 should disable the hardware acceleration.

maybe try this:

- while booting with ig-platform-id 0x12345678 open terminal and run "sudo kextcache -i /" (without quotes)

- reboot and while in clover, change ig-platform-id to 0x59160000

• Haha 1

I mean I'm using the EFI from emileet

I don't know that his graphics card works or not

What sudo kextcache -i / does ?

I'll try the 

maybe try this:

- while booting with ig-platform-id 0x12345678 open terminal and run "sudo kextcache -i /" (without quotes)

- reboot and while in clover, change ig-platform-id to 0x59160000

I'm reinstalling the MacOS

Can I also get your latest EFI files? :D

Edited by VrTech

On 4/28/2018 at 12:42 PM, VrTech said:

Hi, Naborisk

I eventually got it Working with Graphics Card ! and everything. Only Just the battery indicator one I can't get it work yet :(

Thank you. 

Nice! Do brightness work? Battery indicator is something I'm desperate to fix too XD, there's a DSDT patch for Surface Pro 4 to use with ACPIBatteryManager kext but I doubt that'll work.

Here's my EFI Folder, I'm now using AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA for audio

On 4/30/2018 at 12:44 PM, Naborisk said:

Nice! Do brightness work? Battery indicator is something I'm desperate to fix too XD, there's a DSDT patch for Surface Pro 4 to use with ACPIBatteryManager kext but I doubt that'll work.

Here's my EFI Folder, I'm now using AppleALC instead of VoodooHDA for audio

The Brightness works too! Thank you for supporting :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I also have this tablet and for some time running without problems other than described above.

But now, I cannot boot into the Hackintosh with QE/CI graphics anymore, the screen will blank.

So I tried to reinstall OSX to this by running the installer again, but when I tried to run the installer again in my USB flash drive, the touchpad and keyboard not working. I used your Clover folder in my USB installer.

Do you have any suggestions on this problem? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/23/2018 at 7:52 PM, davidhs said:

Hi, I also have this tablet and for some time running without problems other than described above.

But now, I cannot boot into the Hackintosh with QE/CI graphics anymore, the screen will blank.

So I tried to reinstall OSX to this by running the installer again, but when I tried to run the installer again in my USB flash drive, the touchpad and keyboard not working. I used your Clover folder in my USB installer.

Do you have any suggestions on this problem? Thanks

I haven't been here for a while. I recommend disconnecting and reconnecting the type cover if it stops working. Have you got it to work yet?

On 6/15/2018 at 5:55 AM, kty5417 said:

I successed installing macos with your guide but is there anyway to fix battery indicator?

Surface pro4 DSDT and ACPIbatterymanager.kext, applesmartbatterymanager.kext doesn't work

I'm also still looking for a fix on this. It seems like we need a DSDT patch made for our device since our battery seems to be different from the one in the Surface Pro 4.

Here's a guide on manually patching the DSDT if you wanna try:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-how-to-patch-dsdt-for-working-battery-status.116102/

• 1 month later...

Well, I have managed to install High Sierra on the Surface Pro 4 (Core i5). 

The problems I have encountered are only related to system startup, and occur from time to time.

As a general rule, your computer boots perfectly, but sometimes the apple logo is crossed out (I think it's because it doesn't recognize the hard drive), and other times, when you start the system, the screen appears darker than normal, and it turns off asking for the user's password, as if you were blocking the session. By entering the user key, you can still use the computer, but then it locks again.
When that happens, I can only fix it by rebooting the computer.

I have to say that when you get off to a good start, the system works excellently. 
Everything works, including store, Wifi (dongle), sound, graphics acceleration, etc.

In case anyone is interested in installing High Sierra, I'll leave you with the following instructions, since I haven't been able to install it from scratch.

Since I have a MacMini Core i5, I formatted the system, installing High Sierra as normal. Once installed and configured everything, I introduced a USB 3.0 flash drive, formatted it in GUID and Mac Os Plus format. I used the "Carbon Copy Cloner" application to clone the MacMini disk on the USB flash drive.

Once cloned, using Clover configurator, I mounted the EFI of the flash drive, and installed the latest version of Clover on the flash drive, checking the first 2 options "esp and gpt", leaving the rest by default.

Once Clover was installed, I went to the EFI partition of the flash drive, deleted the CLOVER directory and replaced it with the one in this guide.

Afterwards, I introduced this flash drive in my Surface Pro 4 (i5), and started from the flash drive by changing the graph to 12345678 from the Clover menu (options) and booted the system.
Once the system was booted, I used the Carbon Copy Cloner application again to clone the flash drive to the Surface hard drive.

The rest that remains is to follow the guide of this post.

Before doing all this, I have done a new installation of Windows 10 on the Surface, and also my Linux distribution (Kubuntu). Create a Mac partition in FAT32, a Linux Swap and a NTFS storage partition. I replaced the Surface hard drive with a Samsung evo 256GB.

Then I cloned the system as I said before.

I use Clover as a multiboot loader, since it allows me to start Windows, Linux and Mac (Android boots it from Linux, since Clover does not support it yet).

To do this, once Mac is installed, I use the Clover configurator application to mount the Windows EFI partition, called SYSTEM. I access that partition and copy my CLOVER directory to it, along with the Microsoft and Linux directories.

Once copied, I start with Windows and use the EasyUEFI application to add a new boot option called Clover to the Surface boot, restart the machine, access the BIOS and set Clover as the primary boot.

I'll try to do the same procedure when the Mojave version comes out (lucky as it may be and it works ;)

If anyone knows the reason for the occasional logo scratch-out error at the beginning, and also the problem of "locking the computer", I would be very grateful.
Greetings

Edited by Hicks1gb

• 2 months later...

thank you for your contribution! I want to ask that I want to install high Sierra to my surface pro 4 with i5 chips and name summing drive, if I follow your instruction, can I success? btw, how you replace your drive with evo? I  mean you take your machine apart and put it together yourself? no offense and your reply will be appreciated. I can't surf the internet often maybe I won't reply time.

Yes, I have replaced my hard drive. It's complicated, there are totorials on youtube. I broke my screen when trying to dismantle it. I recommend that you take the surface to a store that has a heat machine to take it off. the replacement costs about € 120. I have tried high sierra (works very well) and Mojave (everything works except for the graph)

• 1 month later...

Need some guidance here - I'm not able to boot into the High Sierra installer. 

I have a Surface Pro 6 (which I think should be the same as 2017 other than the 8th gen i5). I followed the instruction of this threat post to make a High Sierra bootable installer using a 32GB USB drive, but it just went straight to Windows 10 every time without even detecting a bootable media from the USB. I have set the boot order in UEFI to have the USB first in sequence. Any suggestion would be great!

Hello KXH8350,

I give you my notes for booting on Surface pro 6. I have not completed the installation of MacOS because I still am blocked.

0 - The Surface is turn off.

1 - Maintain volume high button and clic on turn on button.

2 - You land on Surface UEFI window (=BIOS).

3 - On the left side, there are a menu. Select Security, clic on Change configuration. Secure Boot configuration window pop up within 3 choose : Microsoft, Microsoft & 3rd party CA, and None. Select None.

If you do not do that, the Surface pro 6 won't detect any Bootable USB drive.

Thanks for the input Razak. I did exactly that as well, but still with no luck. So far I have tried two ways making the bootable USB - 1. using the Mac sudo command and then tried both with/without installing the Clover EFI boot, 2. using _UniBeast which installs the Clover EFI in the process. Either works on the Surface Pro 6. 

I have seen comment somewhere where it says the USB needs to be in FAT32 format in order to boot, but I'm confused that how can the High Sierra installer be generated if it's not in the format of MacOS Extended.

Edited by KXH8350

I do not use _UniBeast. Here a guide is here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

I'm working on it right now.

A regular USB is formatted in MS-DOS (FAT32). We need to turn the format into MacOS Extended. You could only write MacOS on MacOS Extended. Choose MacOS Extended (Journaled).

After you have 2 ways.

1st methodOne, MBR, is create 2 partitions for the Clover in (FAT32) and for MacOS (Extended journaled = HFS+J).

2nd method: The other, GPT, is to put in same partition the Clover and MacOS (Extended journaled = HFS+J).

The Pros and Cons are listed on the link above.

I tried 2nd method, but I was blocked on end randomseed when I was installing. So I am trying the other method.

Edited by Razak