Asus ROG Strix 8GB Nvidia In 2012 Mac Pro

macfreak86

2 posts in this topic

Hello,  I have a 2012 mac pro 3.46 12 core running El Capitan 10.11.6.  I cannot go any higher than this OS because of my current older pro tools hd rig.  I've been wanting to replace my factory ATI GPU 5770 1GB, with my Asus ROG Strix 8GB GTX 1080 (non-TI) so I can use with the latest version of Adobe Premiere Pro and AME as well.  So, I have installed the proper Nvidia web driver for El Capitan per my OS build, as well as the proper Cuda driver 8.0.90.  The Cuda driver preferences pane in system preferences shows "No GPU Detected".  My "About This Mac" menu is showing my graphics card as < < Graphics > >.  System Report says under the Graphics tab, shows the vendor as Nvidia.  So it appers to me that the computer "sort of" recognizes the card??  However, under system report, under the PCI tab, I get an error saying, "There was an error while gathering PCI device information".  I do have Nvidia web driver selected in the Nvidia icon on the top toolbar.  Does anyone have any thoughts?  Did I miss a step?  Or is that card just not supposed to be used with that version of MacOS?  Like it has to be used with 10.12 or higher?  See attached images.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.07.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.07.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.07.21 AM.png

Hi there,

As far as I know pascal GPUs (10 Series of nVidia) won't work in El Capitan minimum os requirement is macOS 10.12.4 (if I remember correctly) for the web driver to work properly.