[SOLVED] Installation process hangs at progress 'less than a minute left' on WS X299 PRO

joedm ru

6 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm trying to install 10.13.3 for iMacPro on SATA SSD. The motherboard is ASUS WS X299 PRO.

The installation process hangs when 'less than a minute left' is displayed on screen. The last messages I can see in the installation log are at the picture attached to this post.

If I then reset the system and boot what was installed I can continue the installation. Unfortunately, it stucks at the end again. Next, if I try to boot what was finally installed I can even get to working system. But I cannot install the updates because of the same hanging at the end!

This is not relevant to:

• APFS or HFS+ - both hang
  • Locked or unlocked MSR 0xE2 - both cases hang
  • Special build for iMacPro or ordinary build - installing both builds hang
  • Flash drive prepared using 'createinstallmedia', BDU or using RecoveryHD - all hang
  • USB drive failure or disconnected USB port. I rule that out by installing from recovery partition with all USB drives disconnected.
  • It is not a SATA disk issue. Tried to install using another SSD drive. Hangs.
    • Also tried to install on HDD - hangs.
  • Changing to iMac18,3 did not help as well.
  • Lastest dev beta (common) did not fix it - hangs.

Please help me to figure out what's wrong.

My config file is attached.

Moving a bit further... The first stage of installation goes fine in Safe Mode (-x). Installation log indicates the same log message and after that it reboots immediately. Seems to be a normal behaviour. However, the second stage ("install macOS from <volume>") still hangs. Running the second stage in Safe Mode panics with "process 1 exec of /sbin/launchd failed".

SOLVED. It turned out that "hardware" NVRAM doesn't work with AptioMemoryFix on this motherboard. But works in Safe Mode. This is weird but it's true. Fallback to OsxAptioFixDrv2 + EmuVariableUEFIDrv solved my problem. Installation now finished just fine.

UPDATE. Turning off 'Above 4G decoding' BIOS option resolved the problem with NVRAM. Now I back to AptioMemoryFix.

config.plist

Endlog.JPG

Edited by joedm ru

3 hours ago, joedm ru said:

Hello.

I'm trying to install 10.13.3 for iMacPro on SATA SSD. The motherboard is ASUS WS X299 PRO.

The installation process hangs when 'less than a minute left' is displayed on screen. The last messages I can see in the installation log are at the picture attached to this post.

If I then reset the system and boot what was installed I can continue the installation. Unfortunately, it stucks at the end again. Next, if I try to boot what was finally installed I can even get to working system. But I cannot install the updates because of the same hanging at the end!

This is not relevant to:

• Flash drive prepared using 'createinstallmedia', BDU or using RecoveryHD - all hang

Endlog.JPG

config.plist

Sometimes it hangs later in the install because that particular USB port stops working. Possibly when the install process shifts from the USB to the hard drive.

Have you tried different USB ports? Now and then mine would hang but if I just tried the install again it would work.

@surfinchina, thanks for your suggestion. This is a good idea but it doesn't explain why installation process could be continued from SSD after rebooting system (though initial boot still use a flash drive). To verify it I'm going to exclude any flash drive usage after the 1st stage of installation (before 1st reboot).

2 minutes ago, joedm ru said:

@surfinchina, thanks for your suggestion. This is a good idea but it doesn't explain why installation process could be continued from SSD after rebooting system (though initial boot still use a flash drive). To verify it I'm going to exclude any flash drive usage after the 1st stage of installation (before 1st reboot).

Sometimes for me - If the installation process is interrupted, there is still an install xxx on the SSD which I would see and could start after the reboot, but it's corrupted.

This is why I've kept a good install on a disk for years and kept it updated. I hate USB installs unless I have a known good EFI for that hack. A new install with a generic / new EFI has always been a nightmare of nightmarish proportions for me.

14 hours ago, joedm ru said:

Hello.

This is not relevant to:

Endlog.JPG

config.plist

http://spider-mac.com/2016/11/14/macos-sierra-patcher-installa-sierra-anche-sui-mac-non-supportati/

12 hours ago, surfinchina said:

Sometimes for me - If the installation process is interrupted, there is still an install xxx on the SSD which I would see and could start after the reboot, but it's corrupted.

This is why I've kept a good install on a disk for years and kept it updated. I hate USB installs unless I have a known good EFI for that hack. A new install with a generic / new EFI has always been a nightmare of nightmarish proportions for me.

No, it has nothing to do about USB flash drive. After my last attempt to install I've got a recovery partition. So I installed Clover on my SSD drive, disconnected all USB flash drives and started installation using the recovery. The result is the same.

2 hours ago, Kostantino Milone said:

Thanks, but I already tried it with the same result.