JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Combo Update -> 10.4.8 Kernel, Is it possible?

mac.nub

12 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I finally managed to get the JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Combo Update to work on my MacSpiron,

Question is... is it possible to get a 10.4.8 kernel working with this?

I tried the "xnu-792.13.8-mifki-3" kernel with no luck.

Any other options?

Also does anyone know if Kiko's 10.4.8 SSE3 Update contains a new kernel? Because that's been reported to work out of the box on Inspiron 6400's/E1505's.

Hey All,

I finally managed to get the JaS 10.4.8 Intel SSE3 Combo Update to work on my MacSpiron,

Question is... is it possible to get a 10.4.8 kernel working with this?

I tried the "xnu-792.13.8-mifki-3" kernel with no luck.

Any other options?

Also does anyone know if Kiko's 10.4.8 SSE3 Update contains a new kernel? Because that's been reported to work out of the box on Inspiron 6400's/E1505's.

It is, but you'd need to also install the official apple 10.4.8 update as well. This is how I did it at first, but ended up doing a clean install from Jas' 10.4.8 DVD instead as it was unstable going the other route.

I had to do a blind install though since booting from the DVD didn't work with the LCD screen (as it doesn't with a lot of GMA laptop owners) and I don't own an external monitor, but memorizing the tab/space keys needed to do one allowed me to install fine and it works great now!

Heh, sounds like it's time for more Mac re-installs for me (i'll be trying the apple update again, as i'm unable to download the new ISO - stupid proxy!) anyway... Another partition for experimentation methinks!

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a working installation and want to move up to the new kernel, try the Paulicat method: http://paulicat.freeflux.net/blog/archive/...rade-guide.html

Isn't it for the ppl who upgraded with apple combo update (using methods)?

cuz all i did was to run the JaS combo update package and (offcourse sort out that exrension/entension folder problem)

sorry for being a noob but :S

TIA

You need the 10.4.8 kexts which are not installed with the JaS combo updates. Those updates for the old kernel are required to use older kexts, so no 10.4.8 kexts get installed.

If you follow the Paulicat method, you will install the Apple 10.4.8 update to get the new files and then install a new kernel.

• 2 weeks later...