Chain0 Question

mac.nub

9 posts in this topic

Hey All,

Now i've got my MacSpiron working as I want it to I just have one more question.

When I use the chain0 method to boot, is there any way to select the default boot partition?

As I had XP Pro installed first, it seems to want to boot XP instead of Mac as the default option.

Is there a way to change it so that Mac is the default option?

Many Thanks.

Typical boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS	<--- change
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

Change the "default=" line:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\chain0="Mac OS X"	<--- change
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

Sorry, I think you misunderstood,

I would like chain0 to select Mac OS X as the default boot option, rather than the XP bootloader.

Thanks

I think I understood. The XP partition is "active". You are using the XP bootloader. Chain0 is a DOS program which allows the XP bootloader to load OSX. By putting the Chain0 line in the "default" part of boot.ini as I showed, the XP bootloader should boot OSX as default instead of booting XP as default. When using the XP bootloader, you aren't yet in XP when the bootloader is active. It is more like in DOS. The bootloader has to hand off to XP in order for it to boot XP.

However, if you mean that you want to use the OSX Darwin bootloader instead of the XP bootloader, then you have to remove Chain0 from the XP partition and from boot.ini. And you have to add the Timeout parameter to boot.plist in OSX and also make the OSX partition "active". Then the OSX partition will boot and run the Darwin bootloader to select your partitions for booting.

Timeout: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=216293

Active: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=22844

I have 2 HDDs.

1- HDD 20G (ATA) I installed MAC OSX already

2- HDD 120G (SATA) I installed WIN XP SP2

I use chain0 to boot between MAC OSX and Windows

Now I'd like to Install one more MAC OSX for Back up! I want to installed it to my HDD USB 2.0 IBM 4.04G (Removable Disk)

Can I install follow the normal way and how to change the boot.ini to display all 3 systems to boot at the Restart (use chain0?)

Thanks in advance

Sorry, I think you misunderstood,

I would like chain0 to select Mac OS X as the default boot option, rather than the XP bootloader.

Thanks

The boot manager I use is called Smart Boot Manager - it is free - released under the GNU GPL license and fits in the mbr section of track 1 on your hard drive. It may be installed on a floppy for initial testing and also backup.

smart Boot manager has built in help for various commands / PF key functions. It will scan your partitions and locate the ones that are bootable, allow you to label each for future reference, auto set the boot partition active, allow you to set the default or just remember the last partition booted and boot that one if you don't take action within a user specified time delay.

You can get more information, or download it from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4185

Hope you find what you are looking for.