Random stutters on Realtek 887?

Finefuturity

4 posts in this topic

Hi!

My motherboard has the Realtek 887 onboard audio, and it works pretty well with audio layout 7 in the config.plist.

While I'm able to play things without much of a problem, there are times where the audio randomly stutters for about a second and then continues on.  It almost feels like something in software is being reloaded.  

I've had Console.app open in the hopes that I find something related to this, and I think I found something: I notice the stutters coincide with the output shown in the attached screen grab (see below).

As for settings, I have the audio ID set to 7 as mentioned above, with ResetHDA checked.  I also remember having it set to 1 at some point, and while I could play audio, the problem occurred on this audio ID, too.  Plus, on 1, the audio source would switch itself if airpods were connected for some reason, so I've since settled for 7.  

I've also tried AFGLowPowerState, since it helps the sound card stay on according to the Clover wiki, thereby preventing "crackling audio".  However, that did not change anything, as the stutter happened again.  See other things I've tried below.

Specs, if it helps:

*  CPU : Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor 
  *  Motherboard : Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard 
  *  Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC887, using Lilu + AppleALC w/ audio ID set to 7 under Devices/Audio in Clover Configurator.
  *  Memory : Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory 
  *  Storage : Toshiba 3TB Internal Desktop Hard Drive (this I just bought)
  *  Video Card : Gigabyte - Radeon RX 460 2GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card 

Things tried:

• A little more googling led me to a YouTube video which shows how to get ALC887 audio working.  They chose 11 as the layout ID, which looks to be the most "correct" one to use since it pretty much exactly corresponds to the audio ports on my mobo.  
  • I figured out this issue has something to do with the device ID I have set. Some guidance in the Discord server showed that I will have to try every supported audio ID until I arrive at one which solves it.  The way I'm testing is by playing a single album and proceeding to the next audio ID if I hear even a single stutter.  The goal is to get through the entire album without any issue, and whichever audio ID I do this on successfully is the audio ID I need to use going forward.
  • I actually went through and tried every supported layout ID, and the stuttering happened on every single one.  I even managed to get a peek in the Console at just the right moment and saw a bunch of output relating to AppleHDAEngineInput.  Based on this and some other output, I took a guess and tried checking FixHDA under ACPI/Fixes, set it back to 7 and did my little test.  Still had it. :(
  • FixHDA + setting audio ID back to 7 did not fix it, either, I experienced a small stutter just awhile ago.  Problem is still not solved.  I am now out of ideas.  Help is very much appreciated. :(

I am at my wits end in trying to fix this issue, so I'm hoping anyone out there knows something I don't.  Thank you in advance.

post-2389681-0-43963100-1519197832_thumb.png

hello

check with clover acpi fixes 

IRQ fixes

applehda need it for work good

good hack 

Tried FixHPET, FixIPIC, FixRTC, and FixTMR, and unchecked FixHDA.  Just as I was about to leave this alone, it stuttered!  No gas here!

It's been present this whole time, probably since I set out to hackintosh this thing.   :(