(Guide) GA-X58A-UD3R v2 -> 10.13.3 High Sierra

shdwkeeper

12 posts in this topic

I finally upgraded from El Capitan to High Sierra 10.13.3 successfully on this GA-X58A motherboard. After a few roadblocks, that I overcame, everything seems to be working including (sleep, shutdown, audio, network, etc..)  USB 3.0 doesn't seem to work, as I haven't tried to fix it with the controller being disabled in bios.  I'm ok with that.

I will be linking and combining a few guides so its all in one place.

Here are the steps I took:

1. Backup your current working machine

Use Carbon Copy or Superduper, I backed up and made sure it was a startup disk so I can migrate all my data later, instead of reinstalling all apps from scratch.

2. Download High Sierra Installer

Since you have an older system (motherboard) and probably are upgrading from an older OSX version you need the full installer.  The App store probably won't let you download it, so you need the MacOSX High Sierra Patcher (http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/) Follow instructions.

3. Make sure bios is updated on Motherboard, for v2 its FH version.

Check website for latest bios: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X58A-UD3R-rev-20#support-dl

4. Create 2 USB Boot drives

As explained by cSoul in this post ( Link Removed).

• Create bootable ##### Install Drive (Legacy) following this guide:  Link Removed
  • Create bootable USB using the MacOSX High Sierra Patcher tool in Step 2 above, it shows you how in Step 3 on the website.

Once you have both drives created, copy the EFI created partition from the ##### install drive to the EFI partition on the MacOSX patcher drive. So, you only have to use 1 USB drive to boot. *This is what I did, and it worked*  Since I'm staying with HFS hard drives this worked for me. I didn't want to upgrade my drive to the new APFS protocol since this system is an older system.  The ##### USB installer didn't recognize the HFS drives properly.

5. Format SSD & Install High Sierra

Once booted, format your SSD, follow these steps in Step 4:  Link Removed

If you want to keep your drives in HFS, you must also do step #9, which requires using Terminal and typing (

/Volumes/Image\ Volume/No-Convert)

Complete the MacOs Installation in Step 4 and Post Installation using ##### in Step 5: Link Removed

*Note: Its going to ask you to create a new Admin UserId when setting up High Sierra for the first time, I created something different than my backed up userID, because after I restore everything using Migration Assistant, I will be deleting this Admin User.

6. ##### Options

Choose Legacy Boot Mode

Under Drivers

• Audio - ALC889
  • Disk - default
  • Misc - default[/size]
  • Network - RealtexRTL8111 v2.21
  • USB - default[/size]
  • Bootloaders - Clover Legacy
  • System Definitions: iMac 14,2

Click Build - Install to SSD

I used the default DSDT and DID NOT replace it, I tried to replace it with one downloaded from database and lost audio.

If you have an NVIDIA card - download the Alternate NVIDIA drivers for it

eSATA Drive? - follow this guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/815-appleahciportkext/#comment_6496

7. Migration Assistant

If you backed up your system, (I hope you did or get ready to spend hours re-installing) now you can use Migration Assistant to restore all your apps and data.  Plug in your backed up startup disk and launch Migration Assistant.  When checking the boxes on what to restore, UNCHECK "Other files and folders", or your system won't boot.

Once done, enjoy your new High Sierra system with all your data.

Hope this helps someone out. As mine is running good so far on this old rig.

Edited by shdwkeeper
Rules: Link Removed

For those with this board and othe X58 variants upgrading to High Sierra is relatively easy.  You need a working ElCapitan or Sierra install. You need to be using Clover (injecting kexts) and have an uncomplicated video card (no special drivers required). You also cannot be using a Western Digital hard drive (High Sierra will not see a WD HD on these Gigabyte boards - why I don't know).

Download the latest version of Clover (I used 4392). Clone your working install to another HD (NOT WD). Install Clover to this HD.  In EFI/Clover/Kexts add a 10.13 folder (if not present) and copy all the kexts from your working install to that folder.

Disconnect your working install HD, connect the 'new' HD and boot your computer (set the config.plist in the Clover folder to boot automatically from this HD).  Go to the App store and download the 'Install High Sierra' file to the Applications folder on your cloned HD.

Open the High Sierra installer and let the computer do its work. Once started (past the install on this HD step) the installation will run just like on an actual Mac with no interaction required.  Depending on the amount of data and applications on your install the installation will require from 30 minutes to just over an hour - settle back with your favorite beverage until the install finishes.

• 2 weeks later...

For those with this board and othe X58 variants upgrading to High Sierra is relatively easy.  You need a working ElCapitan or Sierra install. You need to be using Clover (injecting kexts) and have an uncomplicated video card (no special drivers required). You also cannot be using a Western Digital hard drive (High Sierra will not see a WD HD on these Gigabyte boards - why I don't know).

These are the steps I needed to follow, upgrading from El Capitan 10.11.6 with an old Clover (late 2015 version) to High Sierra 10.13.3 with latest Clover (4411) on an X58-UD3R Rev 2.0 (FH BIOS) with NVidia 980Ti (which requires the NVidia Web drivers.)  I am on SSD, not HDD, and I didn't have to do any cloning.

• I upgraded Clover to latest version, 4411
  • This caused me to no longer be able to boot, with a Kernel Panic related to USB
  • The fix for this was to add "FixUSB" and "FixDarwin" to my Clover ACPI options - in order to boot into the system to make this edit, I temporarily enabled these options in the Clover bootloader screen (under Clover Options -> ACPI -> DSDT mask)
  • While in Clover Configurator, I also edited Clover Boot options to remove nvda_drv=1 and then under System Parameters I added NvidiaWeb - this is only needed if you use the NVidia drivers.
  • I copied apfs.kext to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64 (only needed if you're using an SSD) and the latest FakeSMC.kext to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
  • I downloaded and ran the High Sierra upgrader from the App Store
  • About 45 minutes later, I was booted into a working 10.13.3 install.
  • Only remaining step was to upgrade NVidia Web drivers to their latest version and reboot again to get my graphics working properly (it was in VESA mode, 640x480 or similar, without that.)  I had already enabled the use of Web Drivers in Clover in step 4 above.

I did have some BIOS/CMOS reset problems after this, but that was because I didn't have the right DSDT installed - this wasn't a big problem with earlier Clovers in 10.11.6, but it became a major problem with later Clovers and High Sierra. 

Full DSDT editing instructions for these motherboards, and far more info, can be found in this thread: GA-EX58 and GA-X58A DSDT native power management modifications and a pre-edited DSDT for the X58-UD3R Rev 2.0 can be found in this post.   Installing that DSDT solved pretty much all my problems and I can now sleep/resume, shut down, etc, with no BIOS issues. 

The last remaining step was to enable GenerateCStates and GeneratePStates in Clover->ACPI which gave me working SpeedStep/processor speed control.  (Note that the post I just linked gives an SSDT for this board, but that shouldn't be used; with latest Clover, Generate C/P States is the working option.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks TheBloke. I was getting a kernel panic as well, wasn't sure which options to tick to get around it. Looks like FixUSB and FixDarwin worked for me also. Well not entirely.

I think I got past the point that I was getting to previously, but I'm still having issues.

Now my monitor just turns off and goes into sleep mode. So something to do with the video card I'm guessing.

I tried with nvda_drv=1 on and off and the same result, it gets to a certain point in the loading and then the monitor just turns off and I just need to reset my computer.

Any ideas what to try next?

P.S. I'm trying to install onto a RAID 1 partition, do I need to do anything extra for this?

Thanks TheBloke. I was getting a kernel panic as well, wasn't sure which options to tick to get around it. Looks like FixUSB and FixDarwin worked for me also. Well not entirely.

I think I got past the point that I was getting to previously, but I'm still having issues.

Now my monitor just turns off and goes into sleep mode. So something to do with the video card I'm guessing.

I tried with nvda_drv=1 on and off and the same result, it gets to a certain point in the loading and then the monitor just turns off and I just need to reset my computer.

Any ideas what to try next?

P.S. I'm trying to install onto a RAID 1 partition, do I need to do anything extra for this?

If you're using NVidia Web drivers, then since the later Clovers required for High Sierra you need to remove nvda_drv=1 and replace it with NVidiWeb, which can be found on the System Parameters section of Clover Configurator.  That may be the issue, although I would have thought you'd simply boot with the native drivers running (and therefore only single-screen @ 640x480 support if you have a Maxwell NVidia GPU).   But it's a change you need to make anyway, so it's worth trying on its own first.

Do you have any Hack kexts like NVidiaGraphicsFixup (I think it's calle that) or Lilu?  If so they should be updated to latest version, or removed for now.

Are you running the latest version of Clover, eg 4416 or a similar number?

Have you updated to the latest version of FakeSMC in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other?   (or in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13)

I don't think the RAID 1 partition will affect anything, assuming of course your controller is still properly supported in High Sierra.  I'm assuming it worked OK on the RAID 1 before the upgrade to 10.13?  What controller is it, the onboard Gigabyte SATA3?    I have no experience yet of installing onto RAID, but if it worked before the upgrade then I don't know of a reason why it would stop working.  It's more likely something else, like the graphics drivers or not having an updated Clover or kexts.

I've got my system in my signature. It's a rather old comp, certainly not Maxwell in terms of video card. I did have NVidiWeb enabled. But no love.

I just now updated my clover, says it's 4411.

I didn't change any of the kexts form what they were when I got them.

Should be relatively recent I'm hoping.

In terms of updating to latest FakeSMC, see above, no changes from the one I d/l above.

EDIT: I got past the screen turning off by ticking nv_disable=1 and removing -v. I'm going to try with -v right now.

But I am stuck yet again. Now instead of the screen turning off completely, it gets to the next phase of the install and now the whole screen just turns grey. I'm reading that this is a result of FakeFMC not loading. So reading up on this right now.

EDIT 2: After adding -v I am now showing the last lines that I see are:"
NVDATesla: disabled by nv_disable=1 boot-arg
and then I get:
kextd stall[0], (240s): 'ApleACPICPU'
then this repeats:
kextd stall[1], (240s): 'ApleACPICPU'

so obviously something has timed out. The research continues. Progressing slowly it seems.

I think those settings you mention are all Boot flags - they'd be added under the Boot tab of Clover Configurator as custom boot flags.  I don't think any of them should be necessary though; I've certainly not heard of them being used on this motherboard.

Check the instructions and get the files from this thread by Emilo.

Emilo has included all the files he uses, most or all of which should be appropriate for your mobo.  The only file that might change is the DDST as he has a slightly different mobo.  That's usually not essential for boot though.  Actually I don't think it does vary between your and his motherboard, but just in case I've attached mine as I have the same motherboard as you.  That goes in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched.

But it's the Kexts and Clover config that will most likely be affecting boot.  I'd move aside all the files you found on the other site and use the files you find in Emilo's zip, except perhaps with the DSDT I've uploaded.

For more discussion on this family of motherboards, the mega thread is here.  You might want to try posting there if you have continued issues.

PS. I forgot you're not even as far as the installer.  In that case you may find you need to re-add FixUSB and FixDarwin to the Clover Config you get from Emilo.  I did at least, back when I was still on El Capitan and upgrading to High Sierra.    And add the nv_disable to his config as well I guess if that seems to be progressing you.

Or first of all you could just copy his FakeSMC* files into your existing install (EFI/Clover/kexts/Other - remove any other FakeSMC files in EFI/Clover/kexts/*/), if indeed that is the main issue.  If that doesn't work then try using all his files and his Clover config.

dsdt.zip

This is taken from d00d's thead on DSDT modification:

Volcacius

"d00d, you shouldn't include p-states (method _PSS) in your tutorial, they are CPU dependant, not MB!! See here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631"

d00d replied

"This is what I wrote;

The PStates represent a CPU running at 2.66 GHz...

If you have a different speed CPU, you could get your specific PStates from ab___73's getSSDT5.sh or similar;

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=145792 "

Volcacius

I read it, but most of the noobs simply do copy/paste and that could potentially fry their cpu. You should comment out pss from scope _pr.

d00d

This tutorial isn't really targeted for that audience, and they would most likely be using a 2.66 GHz i7 920 CPU anyways.

With 10.6.2 the following kernel.log message is seen if the CPU section of the DSDT is passing PStates that are different from what you would get from running ab___73's getSSDT5.sh (2.66 GHz i7 920 or Xeon W3520 CPU example);
kernel[0]: WARNING: ACPI_SMC_CtrlLoop::initCPUCtrlLoop - turbo enabled but no turbo P-state found

So it seems like you really can't take any short cuts with editing DSDT because the consequences could be quite nasty.

The DSDT I sent you doesn't have any P-State edits; they are indeed not required and could break SpeedStep from working. 

I'm not sure that anyone still thinks they could fry the CPU any more, though.  Remember the first posts in that thread are from 2009!  A lot of knowledge and experience has been acquired since then.  And Clover has improved significantly since then.

Anyway, all that's required is:

- a correctly edited DSDT, like the one I uploaded;

- to set Clover config to "GeneratePStates" and "GenerateCStates" - this ensures Intel SpeedStep works, ie so your processor doesn't always run at 100% and adjusts speed according to load.  

If you take Emilo's config.plist it will have these settings already made.    The system will boot and run fine without the second step, it's just the CPU will either always run at full speed, or else will never run at full speed.

You'll see posts in that thread mention use of an SSDT - that was another way to set up SpeedState.  But it's no longer required now that Clover has GeneratePStates and GenerateCStates.  I started out using an SSDT and it caused my CPU to only run at x12 multipler (2.4ghz), never at full speed.  I removed it and enabled those Clover options instead and now it ranges speed correctly, though not with the same granularity as I get in Windows - eg I never see multiplers between x12 and x22.  But I do have x12, x22, x23 and x24.  You'll see my posts discussing that on the last couple of pages of that thread.

Anyway I'd recommend reading the last few pages of that thread more than the first few.  Though reading d00d's first post is certainly good for background,as it was updated/edited over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally managed to get my bootable drive working, I was missing the FakeSMC file which I swore I had! It's launching the installer. However, I'm not seeing my HDDs in disk utility, so I can't format them and can't install anything :S. After searching around on google, I can't find anyone else with a similar problem, well I couldn't find a solution for the problem. Everyone seems to think it's a hardware fault, which it isn't since BIOS and windows see these drives just fine. I do see my SSD on there which has windows installed on it so that's no good to me but it's a good start I suppose. It's NTFS formatted, just like the drive that I'm trying to install MacOS onto. But that doesn't seem to matter.Well I finally managed to get my bootable drive working. It's launching the installer. However, I'm not seeing my HDDs in disk utility, so I can't format them and can't install anything :S. After searching around on google, I can't find anyone else with a similar problem, well I couldn't find a solution for the problem. Everyone seems to think it's a hardware fault, which it isn't since BIOS and windows see these drives just fine. I do see my SSD on there which has windows installed on it so that's no good to me. It's NTFS formatted, just like the drive that I'm trying to install MacOS onto. But that doesn't seem to matter.

Edited by Atomic_Sheep

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.
Thank you for the Guide.
I don't understand step 4.
The links have been deleted so I can't see the contents.
You mean to make installer usb using high Sierra Patcher Tool?
and clover install on this(for EFI)?

Excuse me, could I get the you'r EFI folder?