Mac OS X 10.4.8 - Is it even possible?

mac.nub

5 posts in this topic

Hey All,

I've been trying to update to 10.4.8 from 10.4.7 JaS ISO Repack, thus far with no luck.

I've tried JaS 10.4.8 update, Manual update etc.

I got it installed, however firstly there was the GMA graphics issue, installed the package after setup...

Now I get a kernel panic error. It's as follows:

panic(cpu0 called 0x003A8D0F): unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Debugger called: (panic)

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (A potential args on stack)

0x146b3df8: 0x128d1f (0x3c945c 0x146b3e1c 0x131e45 0x0)

then it continues with around 4 other lines similar to the one above. and eventually adds this on the last one:

Backtrace terminated - invalid frame pointer 0x0

Kernel Version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sun Oct 29 01:33:16 MSD 2006; vit: xnu-792.13.8/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!

OK, few questions:

1. Which JaS 10.4.8 are you referring to? The simple update that still has the old kernel or the new full DVD with the new Kernel?

2. Two have you tried fixing your video issue by booting into single mode or better yet safe mode then deleting all the GMA related kexts. Delete the kext cache and reboot. You should then be able to install the appropriate gma package from the update or dvd.

I used this method for the Manual one, then before restarting installed the GMA driver from the JaS 10.4.7 ISO Repack DVD.

For the Jas Update I used "JaS.10.4.8.SSE3.Intel.Only.Combo.Update.pkg.zip" not the DVD image.

And as for booting into safemode, it wouldn't let me... it simpily came up with that error.