How long does the "dd" take?

tony tong

11 posts in this topic

hi,

I am following this guide http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...le_And_Accurate

and performing the "dd"

I am copying the file from a NTFS partition to a ext3 partition.

But it has last for an hour and it is still dd'ing.

How long does the dd take?

I wonder if I have done something wrong.

And Does Mac OS x86 work on NTFS? ext3? fat32? partition.

Regards.

Tony

Bloody ages.

I dd'ed straight from the still archived file, on a 7200RPM laptop HD, it took more than two hours, maybe 3.

Remember that dd will give you absolutely no feedback while it works. It's perfectly normal. You know it's finished when you get your prompt back, the HD LED stops blinking, and if you use a laptop, the fan calms down :(

And to answer the second question, nope, OS X can only be installed on its own kind of partition, HFS+, since it uses a very specific filesystem (for things like data/resource forks, metadata).

It can read data on NTFS partitions and can read and write data on FAT 32 partitions, however.

hi,

How long does the dd take?

Tony

8338s (2H 20min) with a HPnc6000 write on a HD 2,5' 30GB 4200rpm and read from a USB-HD 2,5' 40GB 4200rpm.

dd method done with a linux 50 MB Linux live-CD:

http://www.inside-security.de/insert.html

Enough time to drink some beer during this :(

I am copying the file from a NTFS partition to a ext3 partition.

But it has last for an hour and it is still dd'ing.

That does sound slow. dd moves contents in blocks; try using a larger block size (bs option in dd) for speedup.

Also, if you are piping from tar to dd in a single command (tar.... | dd....) it's the decompression of the archive that takes long.