HW recommendations - Logic Pro X, NO Windows, NO gaming

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

looking for hardware recommendations for a new Hackintosh. Thinking of building this in the first quarter of 2018.

#1 criterion is Logic Pro X compatibility. At the moment I have a Steinberg UR22 USB audio interface, and an iRig HD 2. If there are compatibility issues with these it would not be a problem to upgrade. LPX can and will use multiple cores/threads so I guess a bunch of them wouldn't hurt. However I don't see myself doing anything stupidly taxing, using LPX just for home recording, with maybe 30-40 tracks at most (some of which may however be running CPU-heavy synth plugins).

I have absolutely no desire to ever run Windows on this (or any) machine. I am also not interested in gaming - other than NetHack :) I guess this means pretty much any graphics card would do, but I am keen to get suggestions. Last time I built a computer was around 1992, so I'm pretty sure I'm a bit out of touch in that regard. 4K video playback (to a 4K TV) would be nice to have.

Thing I AM interested in, in no particular order: Linux, virtual machines, software development, Blender, video editing. 16 or 32 gigs of memory? More? Which speed?

Would prefer to have working Wifi on the motherboard if at all possible, however will go for a dongle if necessary. Might even just use a wired connection (is Gigabit Ethernet pretty much the norm these days?)

The machine should also be pretty quiet - it will live in my bedroom (although probably won't be running it 24/7).

Hi. For your Audio purposes even an old Workstation with a 6-Core Xeon CPU would fit well. I'm running LPX both on my Hack Pro and my HP Z400 (see signature) quite well. My primary machine runs Logic through a PCIe Esi Maya 44xte 4in + 4out 96khz audio card, while the HP has an external old Edirol UA5 USB 2in + 2out 48Khz. No problem for the PCIe card, while with the USB I have to turn off WiFi or an IRQ conflict will make the audio stuttering and unusable, but using Ethernet connection no problem at all. Both my macines can run Logic Pro with 24 audio track (never tried more yet) and several effects as reverb, compressors, equalizers... The thing that really matters IMHO is a second fast Hard Disk for managing audio material, a 4TB 7200rpm with 64MB cache will fit well.