10.4.8 JaS Kernel Panic

jasgoalie

19 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I finally got my JaS 10.4.8 to install, but I still can't boot - I always get a kernel panic. I've attached a photo of the screen, can anyone help with one might be the problem? This is on a Sony Vaio SZ, 2GHZ Core 2 Duo. I installed mifki's kernel and sse3. Thanks in advance for your help.post-49723-1163383973_thumb.jpg

Similar problem here - I have the Vaio sz220, and i'm getting the kernal panic with the dark screen "you need to reboot..."

The sz220 is a Core Duo 1.8ghz.

I've installed 10.4.6 on it, but cannot update to 10.4.8, or instal it :(

Hopefully someone knows a fix, or update from 1.4.6

Guys, I have exactly the same problem here. Installed Jas 10.4.8 onto my SZ18GP/C: T2400 Core Duo 1.83GHz, GeForce Go 7400, Intel 945GM Express Chipset, Intel Wireless 3945ABG, Marvell Yukon 88E8036, etc.

Can anyone show me the solution?

10.4.6 worked fine with my machine.

To SZ owners, can anyone get ethernet, wireless or sound working on 10.4.6?

I've deleted IOPCCardFamily.kext and it booted further. But still cant get in..

Guys try the same.

I think its something to do with the network card. Cos i use -v and at the end it says can't find the network address.

but no kernel panic or anythign.

another thing is that perhaps we need to disable 1 cpu. but stupid sony bios doesn't let us. gonna do some research now to see how i can use kernel flags to disable it.

I got a bit further and get to this stage.

I've installed it on an usb hdd. Didn't want to mess around with my disk before i try it out.

Seems like it can't fidn the graphic card? Its using the Geforce go 7400. But ive set it to use the onboard video chip which is Intel 945GM I think.

I've installed the GMA 950 during 10.4.8 installation only. Perhaps i should give GMA 900 a try.....

post-63671-1164126916_thumb.jpg

Banz, that's too bad. Was hoping you could get it to work and shed us some light.

Guess, I'll stuck using 10.4.6 and MacVidia drivers for the GeForce 7400 Go card (no QE/CI).

By the way, has any SZ user been able to get the Marvell Yukon 88E8036 ethernet card to work? Or better yet, the i3945abg wireless to work?

Hi, Typing from my new 10.4.8 installation from jas version with QE/CI enabled finally!!!! I had this kernel panic with the IOPCCardFamily.kext. The only way i got trouth was removing this kext from the Extensions dir. I have done it with the shell from the install dvd and now i can boot correctly but without pccard support, therefore, without pcmcia wireless card. By now i have my Nvidia 7300 go flawlessly working thanks to Titan.kext from omni, realtek 8169 internal nic card from DaemonES, and internal realtek HD audio with some gliches on the sound. Still need to fins some solution to the pcmcia support, without that i don't have wireless network (belkin ralink2500 pcmcia).

My specs:

Asus a6jc T2300 core duo notebook

1 GB ram

Nvidia 7300 go : Full supported QE/CI

Realtek HDaudio : Partial at this time (Worked correctly with the 10.4.5 version)

RTL8169 : Full supported (DaemonES)

Belkin ralink wireless pcmcia: Not working (Worked correctly with .4.5)

RTL8139 pcmcia: Not working (Worked in .4.5)

Everything else is working correcly i think. From the good point of view, i have this instalation for 3 hours by now and i already have all this things working! Still too much digging from internet for a solution for pcmcia.

Klaidez

Portugal

klaidez is right, you have to remove the IOPCCardFamily.kext from the /System/Extensions folder. I did it and was able to get OSX running, but now I have another interesting problem - it seems like the fan for my computer is always on and the CPU is always running at full power. The computer gets much hotter after light use than it does in Windows. Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Sekixx, I removed the iopccard kext and it works fine with the Intel graphics controller. I have not tried the nvidia because I don't really use it anyways. Semthex, DaemeonES or Mikfi kernels all work fine for me, but none seem to be able to throttle the CPU. Without this, OSX isnt really practical, as the computer gets really hot and drains the battery fairly quickly

At least we're on to something! I'm getting excited... I'm going to install that on my vaio.. I need to run FCP. Speaking of that, is QE/CI running fine on the intel video card? Do you think it will also run well on the Nvidia card?

Also, can someone please run me through the process of removing the IOPCCardFamily.kext? Please! I'm definately new to this stuff, and new to Mac in general, and havn't really done anything with kexts. Do i remove this from the ISO file before i make the DVD, or do i boot in a certain mode and remove it with this DVD? Hmm... thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. if there is just a link to ths process i apologize, I really dont even know what to search for.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using Asus A6JC laptop too.

After installed JaS Mac OS 10.4.6 it can run at Safe Boot (-x) mode only.

My problems are :

(1) Restart/Shutdown issues (need type "sudo shutdown -h now" in terminal at first, then I can restart or shutdown in graphic mode of Finder smoothly)

(2) Unable to get my AppleHDA.kext (ver. 1.1.0a20) or AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (ver.1.0.0d1) loaded in Extension at booting even I have followed those suggestions in this board such as:

Change IOHDAudioCodecVendorID to 10EC 0880 or Modify IOPCIPrimaryMatch to 27D8 8086, etc.

Any advice for me please

May I know your working versions of these two kexts ?

Thanks.

Hi, Typing from my new 10.4.8 installation from jas version with QE/CI enabled finally!!!! I had this kernel panic with the IOPCCardFamily.kext. The only way i got trouth was removing this kext from the Extensions dir. I have done it with the shell from the install dvd and now i can boot correctly but without pccard support, therefore, without pcmcia wireless card. By now i have my Nvidia 7300 go flawlessly working thanks to Titan.kext from omni, realtek 8169 internal nic card from DaemonES, and internal realtek HD audio with some gliches on the sound. Still need to fins some solution to the pcmcia support, without that i don't have wireless network (belkin ralink2500 pcmcia).

My specs:

Asus a6jc T2300 core duo notebook

1 GB ram

Nvidia 7300 go : Full supported QE/CI

Realtek HDaudio : Partial at this time (Worked correctly with the 10.4.5 version)

RTL8169 : Full supported (DaemonES)

Belkin ralink wireless pcmcia: Not working (Worked correctly with .4.5)

RTL8139 pcmcia: Not working (Worked in .4.5)

Everything else is working correcly i think. From the good point of view, i have this instalation for 3 hours by now and i already have all this things working! Still too much digging from internet for a solution for pcmcia.

Klaidez

Portugal

Banz, that's too bad. Was hoping you could get it to work and shed us some light.

Guess, I'll stuck using 10.4.6 and MacVidia drivers for the GeForce 7400 Go card (no QE/CI).

By the way, has any SZ user been able to get the Marvell Yukon 88E8036 ethernet card to work? Or better yet, the i3945abg wireless to work?

I have an SZ120P/B....which has the Marvell Controller you're asking about. Ethernet works with 10.4.6 perfectly. Have to edit the plist in /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon.kext/Contents/Info.plist. The DEV ID for the controller is 4351 and the Vendor ID is 11AB....hope that helps. Built in Intel 3945 Wireless has no support as of yet...and probably ever. Same goes for the audio controller for some of us SZ users - Sigmatel 9225. If we could gain support for the audio controller, it would definitely be worth replacing the mini-pciex wireless card with an Atheros based chip. In my opinion the power/size/styling of the SZ series is well above the MacBook.

Interesting to see that deleting the kext can rid SZ users of the kernel panic with 10.4.8. I think I may give it another shot :)

• 11 months later...
klaidez is right, you have to remove the IOPCCardFamily.kext from the /System/Extensions folder. I did it and was able to get OSX running, but now I have another interesting problem - it seems like the fan for my computer is always on and the CPU is always running at full power. The computer gets much hotter after light use than it does in Windows. Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Hi, can anyone guide me through how to remove the IOPCCardFamily.kext?

I'm assuming I should use Terminal, but I can't navigate to the "/Systems/Extensions" folder.