Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tristana

NVMe boot SSD + dual OS partitioning questions

3 posts in this topic

Hey all!

The Macbook Pro I used as my main computer is on its last legs, so I decided to cobble together some components I had from other builds into a “new” Windows machine. Thing is, even with some settings modifications and tools like RocketDock, I still miss the behaviors and aesthetic of my Mac ;c

So, I’ve decided to pursue grabbing a new cpu/mobo/ram combo and building a Hackintosh/Windows hybrid machine. I had a couple questions regarding my boot drive, though.

1. If the motherboard I select supports booting from an NVMe/PCIe M.2 SSD, can I boot macOS High Sierra from it? Will it necessitate a tool like Clover to do so? (I'm currently eyeing the ASRock Z270M Pro4, if that's relevant)

2. If I partition this drive into two parts, can I format them separately for each OS- e.g. HFS+ on one half for macOS, NTFS or exFAT for Windows on the other? If not, can macOS be installed on an exFAT drive?

Advertisement
1. If the motherboard I select supports booting from an NVMe/PCIe M.2 SSD, can I boot macOS High Sierra from it?

Yes, of course.

2. If I partition this drive into two parts, can I format them separately for each OS- e.g. HFS+ on one half for macOS, NTFS or exFAT for Windows on the other? If not, can macOS be installed on an exFAT drive?

Yes, you can partition your SSD, half in HFS+ or APFS (but I suggest to avoid APFS, at the moment there is too less support), for High Sierra and half in NTFS for Windows. An extra partition or another Hard disk in ExFat for Data, available with both OS.

MacOs can't not be installed in ExFat formatted volume.

Will it necessitate a tool like Clover to do so? (I'm currently eyeing the ASRock Z270M Pro4, if that's relevant)

Yes, it's necessary or MacOS will not boot. Choosing right mobo is essential. Asrock z270m Pro4 is a very good choice.

Bye :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SoThOr
      This was spurred on from a discussion in the Clover General thread. Where there was a debate on bcdedit being able create/read/edit (U)EFI Boot entries. I didn't think it appropriate to post all this information there and somebody may want to make use of this and its likely to get lost in that massive thread.

Out of curiosity I decided to see if I could create an EFI entry using bcdedit. What can I say I like a challenge.  Whilst is not a documented method by Microsoft, as it turns out in a round about way it IS possible to create an EFI entry using bcdedit and these are the steps I went through to add UEFI Shell located on a USB stick to the EFI entries. 

Third party software is available that can create and edit UEFI entries from Windows with better support and more features. I'm just making this information available in case those options are unavailable. 

DISCLAIMER - This is not a supported method. Use at your own risk. I recommend backing up your BCD/Firmware variables/settings beforehand.

1) Copy {bootmgr} entry.
      C:\Windows\System32>bcdedit /copy {bootmgr} /d "UEFI Shell" The entry was successfully copied to {34e8383c-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5}. 2) Edit the new entry using the new GUID bcdedit generated in the copy step.
        a) Set the device and path for UEFI shell on my USB stick.
      bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} device partition=G: bcdedit /set {34e8383d-73a7-11e9-9cb0-94de8078a7b5} path \EFI\SHELL\SHELLX64.efi   b) Clean up some of the stuff that was copied from {bootmgr} (optional as far as I can tell, just makes things tidier in bcdedit)
      3) Put the new EFI entry first in boot order. (optional)

After completing the steps above, here is what "bcdedit /enum firmware" shows:

I shutdown my computer and when I turned my computer back on it booted up into UEFI Shell. After exiting the shell my PC went on to boot Windows.
      Here is the resulting dump using "bcfg boot dump -v" from that shell:

You may notice that the shell shows as "Windows Boot Manager" in the bcdedit output. This I believe is because of the "WINDOWS" at the beginning of the option data that bcdedit added to the EFI Boot entry. I also believe this why bcdedit shows my Windows 8 installation as "Firmware Application" because it has no option data. I don't know how to remove this data using bcdedit nor do I know how the option data, that bcdedit adds, will affect other EFI applications.

There might be a way to create the EFI entry without copying the Windows entry but if there is I'm unable to find any documentation on how one would do so. If you use the create command then it just puts it in the BCD and I'm unaware of a way to tell it to create it in EFI instead, other than by doing the above.
    • By peanutman314
      As you might know the Samsung 970 EVO Plus variant causes major issues on hackintosh installs. I want to keep it plugged into my motherboard for use in Windows. However, if it's plugged in, macOS is going to try to index this disk eventually and it will crash macOS even though it's not the main install disk. 

Because I don't need this disk under macOS I thought it would be a good solution to somehow disable/hide the unsupported disk for macOS. I looked into doing this via Clover but couldn't find anything useful. I'm hoping I can disable the slot via a DSDT patch. I only want to disable one specific M.2 slot, the others should remain functional (I have another working M.2 disk). So disabling the driver is not an option.

I have very little experience with DSDTs and I have no idea how to do this. I recently created a USB injection patch using RehabMan's excellent guide, so I have some experience with the process, but no idea how to formulate the DSDT patch. 

I have a Gigabyte Aurus Pro z390 motherboard. Below is a screenshot of IORegistryExplorer showing the other working drive (not the one I want to disable, that one is not plugged in yet). 

I would be very grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction. If anyone knowns of a non-DSDT solution to disable a specific slot (but not all slots) then that's also fine of course.

Thank you for your time
    • By Pericles
      I've been trying to boot MacOS Mojave (10.14.4) after installation on a system I've built.

I was able to successfully install Mojave through my USB, it seemed like the installer recognised my gpu and was working with it in the installation screen as it looked like it was outputting video at 4k resolution. When the computer restarted I then booted into the "Preboot" option on clover twice (the first time I tried the progress bar got to a certain point and then the system restarted) and on the second attempt the progress bar filled up completelly and the mac installer counted down to a restart (which I took as meaning that it had successfully finished the installer). After restarting however I tried to boot into MacOS from the SSD I installed it on, the apple logo showed up with a progress bar that filled up completelly before the screen turned black, then grey with a cursor over the grey screen. Also, it's probably worth noting that the GPU's fans continue to spin from turning the system on, up to the point where the screen turns grey after which they stop spinning.

My system specs are as follows:
      CPU: i5 3470
      GPU: RX 570
      RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
      MB: Asrock B75m r2
      SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb
      WiFi/BT: Fenvi FV-T919 PCIE Card

I am thinking that it's probably a gpu related issue as everything about the installation process has gone pretty smoothly up to the point where it's displaying a grey screen at bootup (and not going further). I have attached a photo of the output from rebooting with the verbose bootflag (it's missing one line at the bottom "busy timeout[1], (240s): 'AppleACPICPU'"), after the verbose output stays on the screen for a few minutes the screen then turns grey with the cursor and hangs there.

• By thiagomenini
      Hello everybody,
      I'm from Brazil, if someone wants to write in portuguese, i will understand too. But english is fine.

Days ago I installed the High Sierra, using the image (HighSierraAMD V2 UEFI.dmg). I have an FX8320e, the Asus M5A78L-M / USB3 mobo, GTX 750 and 12GB of RAM.

Well, I build Hackintosh to run audio programs. Everything is working except the USB audio card on the card. But I read that some gyus updates to 10.13.4 or higher and it work.
      But I have some problem with startup and shutdown. I had installed the Clover in different ways, but it did not appear at startup. If I do not use the pen drive to boot, I do not have access to the system.

I've tried different solutions. I formatted the EFI partition using the Terminal and reinstalled the Clover, but it also did not work.

The other problem is the shutdown. The system goes off, but the fans and the mobo remains on. I need to manually press the on/off button to turn off the computer. I had used the Clover Configurations App to set the flag (shutdonw fix) but it not work too. I think this might be related to the boot problem.

Thanks for any help!
    • By Marko1401-
      Hi guys,

I bought a used Mac 2015 pro with a basic 120 GB SSD.

I'm considering upgrade options for it and want to have a 500 or 1TB option for it.

Basically apple has put a excruciating price tag for upgrades so I am considering sintech adapters and a standard NVME M2 SSD installation.

My question is, aside from Samsung 970 EVO, will other options such as WD Black NVME or SanDisk SSD work?

I'm not after huge write speeds, just after storage and decent performance.
      Samsung is a little bit expensive.

Thoughts?