P5W DH Deluxe based configuration

Gorosh

5 posts in this topic

Here's the deal - I'm buying new computer next week, and I'm interested if components I chose are OK for playing with OSx86 install...

Intel C2D E6600

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

2x1GB Kingmax 800MHZ DDR2 ram

320GB Seagate Barracuda, 16MB cache, SATAII, 7200.10 series

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1650Pro

Silverstone Element 500W

Is this kind of configuration ok? As I understand P5W DH works ok, besides few problems like sound, network etc. Regarding sound - does it mean that any sound card doesn't work, or is it just the onboard sound (because I have external M-audio USB card).

I couldn't find information about X1650, does anyone know its compatibility? I see that some cards have problems with DVI ports - does that mean that it might happen I get no picture at all, since X1650 has 2xDVI ports?

I'm planning to buy external DVD burner - if I understand correctly, it's much simpler to install OS via external USB DVD, no?

Thanks

[edit] Ok, I found info about X1650Pro - apparently it works, although it says "Works with NeoPheus's Borisbadenov installer with NATIVE DVI on the lower port" - what does that actually means? Is it possible to have dual display setup with this card, or should I go for ATI X1600Pro?

Here's the deal - I'm buying new computer next week, and I'm interested if components I chose are OK for playing with OSx86 install...

Intel C2D E6600

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

I'm using the same parts with a 7800GT. I'm running Semthex 8.8.1 and everything works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Works great.

I am running very similar to what SG has.

P5W DH Deluxe

E6400 Allendale (@3.36g, I have yet to really push it)

2gig Super Talent ram (6400/800)

BFG 7900 BFG GS OC (256meg)

If I had to do it over again, I would not change anything.

Very compatible and very fast. Few systems match it on Xbench.

This is a 975 (chipset) board, the 965 chipset is the one that has IDE problems and needs a USB drive to install (easiest way at least). The 975 board can install normally.

Networking needs a slight tweak, but there is an auto install patch to do that. Sound needs a couple numbers added.

I would look into a better video card. For a little more you can get an X1900GT from Saphire which works better with the Boris patch. Mine fired right up with it. An X1650 will not take advantage of 512 DDR2 ram. Another option is the X1800, $5 more, but a faster card. For some reason some 1600 card have issues. Could also look into Nvidia GS series.

Your truly best bet though, is savesome on your processor and get a better video card. You will see better performance.

Look for what I did, and maybe substitute the P5W for an MSI DS3 (965) board. My setup or similar with a DS3 setup, will run rings around you in gaming and on Xbench even with your E6600/X1650 combo. All for the same or less money.

If you intend to overclock, chose your ram VERY carefully. Only certain sticks will allow you to do well.