Asus P5QC and Xeon X5482 High Sierra Build

Hannah_09

9 posts in this topic

I am building this computer as an upgrade to my current main rig which has an old q6600 and is running Mac OS El Capitan

I am also upgrading from 7850 to a 1060 (amd to nvidia)

i will be sticking with DDR2 ram in the system for awhile as well because i can take it off my old machine

Currently still waiting for the parts to arrive but i will be writing on this as a tutorial on how i managed to get this new (old) system working, for monitors i will be sticking with what i have now which is 2x 23" Apple Cinema Display's (with DVI) and a late 2009 27" iMac which i use in target display mode, so far the only part that has arrived is the 1060 which i have put in my q6600 build but is not working under El Capitan, i could probably mess about and get it to work but i dont see a point and just using it under windows until the new system arrives (all used parts)

feel free to comment any advice

if you want to read on my old system take a look here

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okay well here i am finally here to finish writing on project, i am actually currently writing this on my "new" computer and loving it, High sierra actually runs amazingly on this old hardware and i have managed to get everything to work, i will upload all the files i used here and i will also show some images of the project completed, i had to look at many different forms because it seems no one has really uploaded anything on the Asus P5QC let alone on high sierra, but it works perfect!

54NNFqI.png

i have to admit im probably just writing all of this for myself later on if i ever screw up this installation or switch to a bigger SSD or something, but if anyone does have any questions or would like help installing High Sierra on such old hardware just ask

oxmAWzF.jpgHere is the system itself with the side off

vGZuEwM.jpgThis is mid install (crossing fingers at this point) after finally managing to get it to boot with the flag "npci=x2000"

PO64k2g.jpgFaUieq2.jpgAnd here is the setup completed :D 

• Like 2

cool machine and cool setup hannah, I suggest you to consider improving the cable management side the machine and also but a cheap and very large mouse pad that will give you lots of space for the mouse, other suggestion is to put a fan in the backside of the case to put air outside of the of the case and also to reposition the cooler backwards, so the hot air from the cpu will directly go outside of the system, look also for some sides for cable management and airflow inside the case on youtube, and if you are using and ssd will high Sierra make sure to not use apfs, because it works quite bad on hackintosh, use other methods to install it without using apfs, I am also using high Sierra on old hardware too and it runs quite well but with that os an ssd is a must have

cool machine and cool setup hannah, I suggest you to consider improving the cable management side the machine and also but a cheap and very large mouse pad that will give you lots of space for the mouse, other suggestion is to put a fan in the backside of the case to put air outside of the of the case and also to reposition the cooler backwards, so the hot air from the cpu will directly go outside of the system, look also for some sides for cable management and airflow inside the case on youtube, and if you are using and ssd will high Sierra make sure to not use apfs, because it works quite bad on hackintosh, use other methods to install it without using apfs, I am also using high Sierra on old hardware too and it runs quite well but with that os an ssd is a must have

hey thanks for the reply, as for cable management i did a lot more after that photo was taken haha i just took that while building the computer, also as for a mouse pad that is a really good idea, i do find mine very small haha, also yes i think my next purchase will be an AIO cooler for the cpu which i will mount on either the back or the top of the case, and especially how its summer now where i am the room temp can be 40 degrees plus where i live so the computer does struggle haha. also I've installed high sierra on a hard drive with mac os extended journaled (how i always have formatted) and got to admit i have experienced slow down on boot up and launching things etc so i think an ssd will be a good upgrade haha

• Like 1

hey thanks for the reply, as for cable management i did a lot more after that photo was taken haha i just took that while building the computer, also as for a mouse pad that is a really good idea, i do find mine very small haha, also yes i think my next purchase will be an AIO cooler for the cpu which i will mount on either the back or the top of the case, and especially how its summer now where i am the room temp can be 40 degrees plus where i live so the computer does struggle haha. also I've installed high sierra on a hard drive with mac os extended journaled (how i always have formatted) and got to admit i have experienced slow down on boot up and launching things etc so i think an ssd will be a good upgrade haha

yes, high Sierra is not well optimized for hard drivers, but installed on an ssd following a special method that avoids the automatic upgrade to apfs that the installer does on an ssd, it will work quite well

yes, high Sierra is not well optimized for hard drivers, but installed on an ssd following a special method that avoids the automatic upgrade to apfs that the installer does on an ssd, it will work quite well

oh yes, is there a chance you can give me a link or tell me how to do that? for future reference :)

because that does actually make sense, its weird because my macbook air feels faster than my hackintosh even though its much less powerful haha

• Like 1

oh yes, is there a chance you can give me a link or tell me how to do that? for future reference :)

because that does actually make sense, its weird because my macbook air feels faster than my hackintosh even though its much less powerful haha

that thing of appearing fast is related to the drive you are using for the os, for the procedure to avoid apfs I have created a tutorial but in Italian only, so I will guide you, it's a matter of using disk utility and the terminal inside the macOS installer

• Like 1

• 1 year later...