Is it Possible, 3 Partitions with Boot Camp

Michael

12 posts in this topic

xfsasx, I dont expect you to be perfect (all the time)! ;-)

I opted to work with just two partitions using boot camp... 1st being the clean Tiger install, and the second being the latest beta stuff. Overall its working out... i sym link a set of "Application Support" subfolders (non-apple based application) so I can have a single share of data. Should probably do that for the preferenes as well... but no time at the moment.

Now just need to setup my back-up / restore process and I will be ready for a once a week clean install :-) (that is if the flow of good-cat-tidings continue ;) )

-Michael

i guess anything is possible....

http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp

sorry i was mis informed

• 2 weeks later...

There are some tricks to this:

1. Format your internal drive as GUID format with 3 partitions. First one as HFS+ with journaling, second as whatever (Maybe a shared Fat32?), and the third as Fat 32 (MS-DOS format).

2. Windows MUST always be the last partition on an Internal drive.

3. Use rEFIt to populate your MBR from your GUID table.

4. Install Mac OS X on partition 1.

5. Install Windows on partition 3. (pay attention to the size of your partitions so you know which one it is.)

If you have trouble with it wanting to install on the 3rd partition as a D drive (because it's the second FAT32 partition on the disk) then format your second partition as Mac at first and then install Windows... then format it as Fat32 after Windows is already installed.

I haven't tried this in a while, but it should still work with the new firmware. You MAY not need rEFIt anymore, but if Windows only sees a large empty drive when you try to install then I suppose you'll need to make a legacy Master Boot Record with a rEFIt boot CD.

=)

I don't think there is a way to use boot camp to tri-boot, but there is certainly some code you can use. PM me for details please.

If you have a Mac Pro with two internal drives you can. Use the last partition on each disk, one for Windows and one for Linux or whatever (or two Windows installs?)

Guys,

I got 2 questions and would apreciate for the answers.

1. Is it possible to install Mac OS X, Linux, WinXP on one hard drive (i use ThinkPad T41) with separate partitions ? (I guess it's possible as it's described here http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Triple_Boot_via_BootCamp ). Can you just confirm I can do it on my IBM TP ?

2. What's the easiest way to do that (I mean - the triple boot) ? Maybe it's better to use 3rd party software ? If so, please provide me some details :)

Ahh, I forgot about one think, i'd like to have NTFS with WinXP is that a problem ?

Regards :]

Well,

I think Boot Camp is useless for me as I want to install triple system on x86 and not on Mac.

Can you please correct me if I'm wrong ? If am right - please provide me some 3rd party software names which would be useful for my purposes ?

Thanks in advance :]

Well,

I think Boot Camp is useless for me as I want to install triple system on x86 and not on Mac.

Can you please correct me if I'm wrong ? If am right - please provide me some 3rd party software names which would be useful for my purposes ?

Thanks in advance :]

You are correct. Boot Camp is useless to you.

Boot camp requires a Mac with Apple Firmware for any boot-level management.

All right.

So, am trying to find the best way to install three systems but I cannot find one.

Can you please tell me:

1. Installation sequence. Which system to install first, second and third

2. How to set it up to boot into those systems properly.

Or please provide good link :blink:

All right.

So, am trying to find the best way to install three systems but I cannot find one.

Can you please tell me:

1. Installation sequence. Which system to install first, second and third

2. How to set it up to boot into those systems properly.

Or please provide good link :blink:

Well, the fist thing I'd do is post your question in the appropriate forum (Discussion on multibooting your OSx86 Hackintosh.) Since this is not a Boot Camp question and the people there are more likely to be able to help you out.

That and the fact that it's not polite to hijack someone else's thread/question.

Good luck.

=)