IBM Thinkpad and OS X

bilalmuddassir

44 posts in this topic

Now I've been testing different releases and tweaks on my many ThinkPads here, and these are my findings:

IBM T41 type 2373:

Kalyway 10.4.10 installs without a hitch if you deselect all HW patches not needed. Sound and integrated ethernet works right after install. Tried a lot to get the Intel 2200BG and the ATi Mobility Radeon 7500 to work, but to no avail. Gave up.

IBM X40:

Kalyway 10.4.10 works like with the T41. Older Intel GFX, couldn't find any drivers for it, so no accelerated GFX. Intel PRO 2100 wireless: No go.

IBM / Lenovo X60 tablet:

ToH Leopard installed OK. Accelerated GFX and integrated ethernet works after installing, but audio was hard to fix. Used the Conexant HD patch to enable 2 ch internal speakers. Installed EFI and vanilla 10.5 kernel. Then made a backup of the framebuffer kext and upgraded to 10.5.1. Rebooted in singleuser and replaced the failing new framebuffer kext. Works very good now with both cores enabled, but still no wireless. Have ordered an Atheros original wifi to replace the Intel.

Lenovo T61:

ToH Leopard installs when you enable the "-legacy" switch to force it to use 32 bit kernel. Nothing at all works after installing. Wrong resolution, no internal ethernet, no accelerated GFX, no audio, no wireless. Did not bother spending to much time on it as my X60 works so well. :P

All machines will hang if you let the sleep timer kick in, so I disabled it. I also find that Safari is kinda unstable, so I use Opera in stead.

I will be back with more after I test them a little more, but I'm very surprised to see that my old X40 runs even better than with Ubuntulinux. ;) Now all I need is speedstep and wireless!

-KJ

Tried different releases on several machines here and so far the best fit was the ToH RC2 which runs very nice on a Lenovo 3000 N100, and from which I am posting this.

-KJ

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

We agree that ToH RC2 is Leopard, right? I'm writing from a 3000 N100 my self, but I fail to understand how Leopard can run very nicely with only 512MB of RAM?

And do you have any experience with Tiger on the N100?

Now I've been testing different releases and tweaks on my many ThinkPads here, and these are my findings:

IBM T41 type 2373:

Kalyway 10.4.10 installs without a hitch if you deselect all HW patches not needed. Sound and integrated ethernet works right after install. Tried a lot to get the Intel 2200BG and the ATi Mobility Radeon 7500 to work, but to no avail. Gave up.

IBM X40:

Kalyway 10.4.10 works like with the T41. Older Intel GFX, couldn't find any drivers for it, so no accelerated GFX. Intel PRO 2100 wireless: No go.

IBM / Lenovo X60 tablet:

ToH Leopard installed OK. Accelerated GFX and integrated ethernet works after installing, but audio was hard to fix. Used the Conexant HD patch to enable 2 ch internal speakers. Installed EFI and vanilla 10.5 kernel. Then made a backup of the framebuffer kext and upgraded to 10.5.1. Rebooted in singleuser and replaced the failing new framebuffer kext. Works very good now with both cores enabled, but still no wireless. Have ordered an Atheros original wifi to replace the Intel.

Lenovo T61:

ToH Leopard installs when you enable the "-legacy" switch to force it to use 32 bit kernel. Nothing at all works after installing. Wrong resolution, no internal ethernet, no accelerated GFX, no audio, no wireless. Did not bother spending to much time on it as my X60 works so well. B)

All machines will hang if you let the sleep timer kick in, so I disabled it. I also find that Safari is kinda unstable, so I use Opera in stead.

I will be back with more after I test them a little more, but I'm very surprised to see that my old X40 runs even better than with Ubuntulinux. :) Now all I need is speedstep and wireless!

-KJ

KJ, Thanks for the information. I'm trying to rehab an old x40 with JAS 10.4.6. So far it's been abysmally slow through 1 failed install and i'm working on the second. its a pent m unit 1ghz with 512 ram. How's the rest of the install going? What's the remedy for the slow speed?

Thanks in advance from newbyville.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
any X61 out there?

I would really apreciate it if anyone can help me install ANY version of osx86 on my x61. I tried using the 10.5 leopard flat image but it just froze on startup.

BTW. Here are my stats Intel core 2 duo L7500 @ 1.60 ghz "merom". Lenovo 7764CTO mobo

,Intel GM965 chipset,Intel 82801HBM (ICH8-M) southbridge, 2gb ddr2 ram.Any help would be greatly ap.preciated

• 2 weeks later...

R60 ,X61 sleep wake working

X61 sleep wake, iatkos, efi, guid,-> http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=56369

R60 -> kalyway, EFI, mbr, F8 vanilla, boot from battery, sleep works, wake from battery,

crashes, on power adapter,

- no speedstep, battery meter funky,

- fan always running, no fan control

Just installed Jas 10.4.8 on my T40.

Haven't started to work on my ATI video card yet. I was trying to make my wifi working first, but no luck till now.

Yesterday I finally got connected with Internet via build-in ethernet card, thanks to this post

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...ost&p=97291

My TP-link wireless card is flashing at this moment - will try to solve the wireless issue next day.

• 6 months later...

Anybody pls help! I'm using lenovo 3000 Y310. I'm succeeded in dual boot Leopard iatkos 10.5.4 and vista. But until now I still have no solution for my Built-in Standard PS2 keyboard. So can anyone help me develop a PS2keyboard.kext for this Unknown Notebook Model.

• 3 weeks later...

from my post in july 08 in the kalyway 10.5.2 thread:

finally after a weekend of slaving away and scouring these forums, have a working leopard install on my Thinkpad T61 using kalyway 10.5.2. used the vanilla kernel only and checked both video drivers for the intel chip in the install customization. everything else was default.

System Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz

RAM: 2 GB

HD: Hitachi 120 GB

Audio: Intel HD Audio, AD1984

Graphics: Intel GMA X3100

Wireless: Thinkpad 802.11 a/b/g Wi-Fi

resolution (1400x900) worked right away as did touchpad and trackpad. volume slider as well.

Used following guides:

Wireless: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=238508 (still have to connect using network diagnostics every time i boot up)

Ethernet: http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

Video: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=763465 (did not have to use sleep hot corner trick)

Audio: http://0xfeedbeef.com/osx86/ (headphone jack still not working, have not tested audio inputs)

Battery Meter: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=114105

also installed fingerprint reader from upek: http://www.upek.com/mac/download/

Biggest issue I still have is brightness control. It automatically sets it to the highest and drains my 6 cell battery in 1-1.5 hours. any fixes?

i still have issues with the webcam (only works when i take my account picture, never for apps like ichat, skype, photobooth etc)

Sleep is also not working properly

I think it would be very easy to install Mac OS using GHOST, while it would be some or even more difficult for me on Thinkpad R51e for its ATI chipest.

I could login using GHOST, but almost 2 hours is needed for there is no drivers when I install it. R52 or T40...which have intel chinpest is easy to success.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my first post here on the forum.

I have a lenovo T60 with kalyway 10.5.2 running the most of the issues about networking i have read it and doesn't work.

I have some questions about the pcmcia cardbus on my T60 i have a Texas Instruments PCI-1410 Cardbus i wanna have it installed and working but i can't find the best solution for it.

I have a dell wireless card and i wanna have my cardbus working to test the wireless card.

I am new to OSX and have some questions about kext files i can't see how to install those files, is it just replacing the old kext files and where must i put the new kext files.

I hope someone can give answer to my questions

• 5 months later...

T60 - 2007C4U, almost 3 yr old model, has ATI Radeon x1300 video, Intel wireless

Using 10.5.5 with almost standard install and voodoo kernel.

Wireless works (!!) - bought a $15 airlink 101 USB wireless card from Fry's, had to download mac drivers from a different vendor, but it works great. Best $15 I've spent in a while.

Sound and video worked OOB. no complains :)

Has anyone tried to put OS X on a Thinkpad T series model?

• 1 year later...

I got my T41 running with iAtkos v.7 I used 9.5.0 Vodoo Kernel, Intel GMA950 driver, Intel PRO 100/VE, Apple SMBIOS ToH, OHC, and on boot these flags: cpus=1 -v -x -f -s busratio=

Looks like everything is working, except wireless, which I was not able to get working under windows either. But yes, it definitly runs!!!

Has anyone tried to put OS X on a Thinkpad T series model?

• 2 months later...

I have to install mac os on my laptop details are here, please help me to chose perfect distro, method, partitions, single boot, dual boot with win7

IBM Think-pad T42

Intel Mobile Pentium M 735(1.7GHz)

1GB DDR

20GB HDD

14.1" TFT 1024X768 60HZ

Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

iNTEL 82801dbm uLTRA ata sTORAGE cONTROLLER - 24CA

ATI RADEON 9600 64MB

PCMCIA Texas Instruments PCI-4520 CardBus Controller

Finger Print Reader

Bluetooth

SoundMax Sound Card

please help me to install, recomend me distro, partiontion, single boot, dual boot with win7.

Hey i want to install mac os x 10.5.6 or newer on vmware on my t43 - intel pentium m 1,86 2gb ddr2 , 120gb ide, intel gma 900, chipset intel 915.

It just don't want to boot in vmware.

Which installation to use for vmware and for dual boot?

Please help me!

I'm stuck at - img0056.jpg