Nvidia OOB for 2 X 4K 60Hz displays

Blacky

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm a bit in a dilemma.

I need to buy a MacOS Sierra compatible video card that runs OOB and can push 2 x 4K monitors at 60 Hz.
I don't want a card that requires Nvidia Web Drivers (I'm tired of having to deal with injections and web drivers. I just want a card with OOB support).

I understand my best option is an Nvidia Kepler card.
But all gaming Kepler cards seem to have only 1 x HDMI 1.4 port and 1 X DisplayPort 1.2 .
I think I need a video card with 2 X DisplayPorts .

I thought the Quadro K2000 would be a good option, although I could go for something a bit better, but can't seem to find out if it will work OOB or not.

I already have a GTX 1080 installed on the system, but every macOS software upgrade has been a pain due to the WebDrivers.

So any advice? Any video card you would suggest?

Thank you!

Edit: Found this: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b2683/msi-gtx-760-gaming-itx

Solution:

The MSI GTX 760 Mini-ITX comes with 2 mini DisplayPorts.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/N760-2GD5OC-ITX.html

I bought a used one for 100 euro and installed it. Indeed the 2 display ports where able to power 4K at 60 fps on my displays. The video card was natively recognized by macOS as GK104 chipset, no need for any boot flags or Nvidia Web Drivers. This is wonderful!

I also have a GTX 1080 in my system, booting with both video cards makes macOS fall back on the GTX 760 as it does not recognize the GTX 1080. It is possible to install WebDrivers afterwards and power up the GTX 1080. However, if for some odd reason GTX 1080 would no longer be recognized or you update the video card to something newer that doesn't yet have macOS drivers, macOS will continue to boot and fall back on the GTX 760.

Other video cards that could potentially be used in this scenario: K4200 and K5000 .

Issues: Unrelated, but still good to know. Actually I have one 4K display and one 2K 155Hz display . Unfortunately HDMI cannot output above 60Hz, no matter the resolution, so the 2K display will run at 60Hz via HDMI. This is an issue with the display, since it only has one DisplayPort input and one HDMI input. The DisplayPort on the 2K monitor is hooked to my GTX 1080, since I use it for gaming under Windows. The video card is not the limiting factor in this scenario.

Guys,

The purpose of this topic is to help the topic starter to find a Nvidia graphics card which would work OOB and have full support for 4k at 60Hz.

He was very clear:

1. I don't want a card that requires Nvidia Web Drivers.
  2. I'm tired of having to deal with injections and web drivers.

So, you do not have to waste your time in trying to convince him about Web Drivers - He doesn't want them anymore!

If you have something, please share, otherwise pray for him. Thank you for your understanding.

BR

fantomas1

• Like 1

Currently waiting on my GTX 760 with 2 displayports to get shipped. But I am not entirely sure if it will work as I plan to, if you know any alternatives left me know. I will post back with the results of the GTX 760.

Edited by fantomas1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: MacOS recognized the GTX 760 as a GK104 chipset and worked with full video acceleration. No boot flags were used. Everything has native support.

Under MacOS both monitors were recognized and worked at 4K - 60 Hz.

I think this is the solution to my problem. Will update the initial post.

• Like 2