Welcome to InsanelyMac Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  

SSD PCIe Adapter for MacBookPro Retina 2013

2 posts in this topic

Hello Guys,

im looking for the way of upgrade my MacBook Pro 2013 Retina SSD capacity.

I only have 250GB and i need at least 500GB.

I know that there are posibilites to use a "normal" PCie SSD M.2 with an adapter .

My Model is Apple MacBook Pro 10,2 . (13" Core i5 Early 2013) (A1425)

My actual SSD is an APPLE SSD SD256E 

What adapter di you think that will fit??
Im from spain. 
Thanks you so much!

This seems to also "works"

but this converts a MSata SSD  , not a M.2 SSD.

If i understand correctly, a MSata disk is based in Sata III technology,

and the M.2 that i should use for my mac book , needs to be PCie based no?

so, how could it works in my mac??

I went further in every mac and got this:

"Apple does not intend for end users to upgrade the SSD in these models themselves, the company even has used uncommon "pentalobe" screws -- also called five-point Torx screws -- to discourage access. However, access is straightforward with the correct screwdriver, the SSD is simple to access, and upgrades are not blocked in firmware, either. There are two significantly different SSD designs for these models, though.

There is one 6 Gb/s SATA-based SSD for the "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro models. Unlike the 15-Inch Retina Display MacBook Pro, the SSD in the "Late 2012" and "Early 2013" models is mounted in a small "drive caddy" that can hold a 5 mm or 7 mm tall SSD (or hard drive), in lieu of the small proprietary SSD module that Apple uses.
The proprietary PCIe 2.0-based SSD in the "Late 2013" and subsequent models is limited to a smaller "blade" option, though. By default, the "Late 2013" and "Mid-2014" models negotiate a x2 PCIe connection, but in testing, OWC discovered that when a "blade" SSD from a Cylinder Mac Pro was installed in a "Late 2013" or "Mid-2014" model, it "negotiates a x4 PCIe connection versus the stock cards, which negotiate a x2 PCIe connection," which means that this newly transplanted SSD was substantially faster than the stock one. The "Early 2015" models support a x4 PCIe connection by default."
I don't know if this helps. 
Lou Cioccio

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By ITzTravelInTime
      I have started this thread to discuss about old and very cheap ethernet cards working in the latest macOS releases, cards who just uses old ethernet controllers or are new and cheap cards with old ethernet controllers, this thread is just to discuss about such cards and also to have a list in the first post with reported working cards with drivers linked.
      To contribute you have to report which card of this kind is working for you and which driver or method you followed to get it wo work and also which issues you have, and then it will be added in the list.
      I start reporting cards which worked for me, yours will be added in the future:
      intel 8255X based cards:
                just works using the AppleIntel8255X kext (look in the attachments) and seems to be stable with no issues
      And also there are some cards i am curious to see if can work with mac, so i leave this part at the end of the post, do you know if it's possible to get realtek pci (not pci express) ethernet cards working in the latest mac os? i have a few of them and i have difficulties fining drivers for mac, having a driver for the latest mac wil help me in creating also a youtube video with the cheapest hackintosh compatible ethernet cards
    • By Angelo_
      Hi guys, i'm trying to help a friend of mine trying to install osx(possibly high sierra) on his pc with the following specs: 
      Amd fx8350 
      Asrock 990fx extreme 3
      8gb of fury Kingston ddr3 ram(2x4)
      Radeon hd 7950
      128gb ssd( crucial m550)
      A couple of hdds I don't remember the brand(maybe a seagate barracuda and a dumb old disk for data)
      We tried to install it using the regular clover+high showers installer but we couldn't get it to reach the installer, then we tried osx-amd(don't know if i can talk about it there, sorry if i can't) and we still couldn't get to the installer.
      Is there a guide i can use to install osx in that machin, i tried to search in the forum but i couldn't find it.
    • By dfear

I am try to install High Sierra, as per #####
      I have have successfully booted from the install usb drive and have booted into "Install macOS High Sierra". I had to add a boot flag (-no_compat_check) to the clover bootloader in order for the usb stick to boot properly. Also, at first I couldn't see the SSD drive in disk utility, but I fixed that by asking disk utility to show all drives.

Onto the current problem. I am having major issues trying to install High Sierra to a NVMe SSD. When I run "Install macOS High "Sierra" I get the following error:

"The version of macOS installed on this mac is newer than the version you are trying to install. When a new update is available, you can install it from the Updates plane in the Mac App Store. If you want to reinstall macOS, please use macOS recovery."

Also, It doesn't matter if the startup volume is formatted as APFS or HFS+.

If I format the drive using GPARTED on linux, the installer just says the startup volume doesn't have journaling enable. If I then run disk utility and enable journaling on the startup volume, then go back to the installer, I get the aforementioned error msg.

I have the following specs:

Asus Prime X299 Deluxe.
      ADATA 512GB NVMe SSD.

How do I fix this issue?
    • By Typhoon_Master
      I am currently using El Capitan with an Asus Maximus II Formula, but the mainboard has a weird bug that the system freezes when im using the built in ethernet ports. (not only in macos, also in linux and windows)
      ... so i was using a USB Dongle wich worked fine, but the performance (USB2) was not the best.
      Now i want to add a ethernet-card to the system.
      Is there a cheap, and simple to install (maybe native?) PCIe Ethernet Networkcard that can be recommended?
      thank you
    • By chriz74
      In this video I first show the boot time of my system running on an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD APFS formatted and with TRIM enabled. As you can see the boot has a long pause at these "FIPSPOST_USER" stuff. The solution that always worked for me is to create a time machine backup and restore to disk. As you can see after the restoring that long pause is drastically reduced. The initial boot time is 45 seconds circa, after restoring is down to 22 seconds. TRIM is still enabled and disk is APFS.