How do I copy Nawcom 10.6.8 Legacy to my root directory?

8 posts in this topic

I currently have iDeneb V1.3 10.5.5 on my P4 and it was suggested to copy the legacy Kernel Nawcom 10.6.8 to the / directory.

As per 0000-1248 Matt's suggestion and what I read here

http://tlhaas.blogspot.ca/2012/09/installing-snow-leopard-ver-1068-on.html

and by typing the command

• sudo mv /legacy_kernel-10.6.8 /  (or if you prefer sudo mv /mach_kernel) in the terminal I get the error no file or directory even though I have both the legacy_kernel-10.6.8 AND the renamed copy mach_kernel sitting on my desktop in plain view! Where do I have to move this kernel and/or what command in terminal do I have to enter to point to the kernel to get it copied into the root directory? I also have a retail copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 and it is on a USB drive. My Dell wont boot to this USB with SL on it and using i :censored:t it booted to SL but the spinning gear below the grey Apple rotated and froze after rotating 35-40 times. Matt suggested adding or copying the Nawcom Legacy Kernel to my USB but again where in the Snow Leopard or USB would I install or copy this Kernel? This Dell is currently running very well with the 10.5.5 with multiple hard drives with V1.3 on it. One is the complete working V1.3 on a larger (main) drive and the other spare drive is my "test" drive so I don't  :censored:  my main drive in case I need a Mac for attempting this mission.

Any help for this Mission Impossible would be most appreciated :help:  

•  

Look at what I posted in our 10.5 thread, I will post it again here for ease of use.

Put the kernel in your Documents folder and type this:

sudo cp /Users/*yourusername*/Documents/mach_kernel /*insertUSBname here*/

The reason why it doesn't work for you is because your Desktop is not the directory you specified when typing the Terminal command. When you typed / and just left it at that you were specifying the root directory instead of your Desktop. 

Top specify your Desktop you would type this:

sudo cp /Users/yourusername/Desktop/mach_kernel /

Basically the format of this command is 

sudo (ask for admin perms) cp (copy) /(specify file path) /(where to copy to)

So you can see we would have to locate the file in Terminal before we can copy it.

I updated our thread back in the 10.5 section with a step-by-step guide to getting SL working on your system.

• Like 2

Again thanks Matt!! 

The command line use like in Linux :huh: but there is ONE thing I noticed about and between this forum and alot of the Linux forums such as Zorin and Ubuntu, and that is you actually get help :wub: HERE (once i started to slowly figure out what to ask for) whereas the Zorin and Ubuntu later flavors caused a glitch to happen with my horrible MSI K8T board. It would install without a mouse cursor appearing rendering the OS good for two things      nothing and  :censored: all! The older Kernel worked before they went to the newer that I used to remember what it was called but the mind blocks out bad memories (the one that had at the bottom of the screen the two Icons, a person in a circle and what looks like a keyboard beside it) and when I mentioned which Kernel worked the answer was a flat " that version is no longer supported!!"  :wallbash: End of topic!!

Here I'm starting out with old and older hardware and software IE 10.5.5 and there is still info and support!

• Like 1

Due to the fact that I'm actually doing two things (or trying to) such as attempting to update 10.5.5 and now attempting to install Snow Leopard this is a quote from my thread "Update and Drivers for 10.5.5" I decided to quote from the other topic.

0000-1248, on 03 May 2017 - 4:24 PM, said:

Ok, I looked at that guide and it is completely wrong. Here is step by step what you should do:

1.  Use myHack (find it here) to create your SL USB.

2. Your Terminal command doesn't work because it assumes 2 things: 1. is that the kernel is located on the root directory and 2. is that it is named legacy_kernel-10.6.8

Place the kernel in your Documents folder and type this:

sudo cp /Users/*yourusername*/Documents/mach_kernel /*insertUSBname here*/

This will work if the kernel is named mach_kernel and it is in your Documents folder.

3. Boot up the USB and install SL.'

4. Boot back into the SL Installer but this time go to Terminal (in the Utilities drop down) and type this:

cp /*insertUSBnamehere*/mach_kernel /*insertVolumenamehere*/

5. Exit Terminal and reboot using -v at Chameleon (just in case it hangs, then I can help you diagnose the issue.)

6. Install your Miscellaneous drivers (network, graphics, audio etc.) once you get into Mac OS X.

7. Enjoy Mac OS X.

Note: the Volume name is the name of the partition on which you installed OS X.

Good luck,

- Matt

And my reply

I followed the link to myHack and it only works on 10.6 which didn't surprise me due to the age of Leopard but surprisingly About this Mac lists the date as up to 2008 but what is and isn't supported is equiv. to Windoze XP I would guestimate. Anyway after finding out about the required 10.6 and being unable to install SL from the operating 10.5.5 with the error "The application "Install Mac OS X" cannot be used from this volume" I attempted to copy the Legacy Kernel using the provided steps. I typed sudo mv /mach_kernel and my password after enter and then i got three lines displayed (sorry I didn't record the info) and exited the terminal. Then I rebooted and System Profile and About this Mac both indicated 10.5.5 and Darwin 9.4.0

Okay I suspected I missed a step so I typed in sudo mv /mach_kernel /              suspecting I forgot the root  command after kernel and hit enter followed by my pass word to receive the following

mv: /mach_kernel and /mach_kernel are identical

Then I exited the terminal

The only thing that I think I discovered that is possibly different is after POST and the start of boot, instead of seeing Darwin 9.4.0

I now see

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Build date:2008-06-09 20:12:22

Keep in mind about this boot info indicated that this is my expendable experimental spare drive OS with everything? transferred over to it using the transfer utility that I directed the source as my other v1.3 drive and it was surprising how much and how easy it was to get everything over including email etc.  (does this clone the drives?).
Did this change the start of boot info or did something actually change during my copy kernel attempt?

Also the Darwin 9.4.0 is Vanilla? yes? and Seems to me the Nawcom Legacy 10.6.8 is Vanilla as well?   

Okay Matt now back to the instructions posted directly above. Am I to assume that in order to:

"Boot up the USB and install SL"

"Boot back into the SL Installer but this time go into Terminal and Type this:

cp /*insertUSBnamehere*/mach_kernel /*insertVolumenamehere*/

That this would have to be a myHack modded SL USB installer to even get this far?

After I post this I will see if I can find an earlier version of myHack that would work on 10.5.5

Have a look at our 10.5 thread, but from here on out I think we should just use this one. I'm going to try and see where you're coming from by installing SL on one of my Pentium 4 machines.

Thanks Matt and let me know how you make out. BTW what do you have for P4 machines?

Right now I'm doing a reinstall of the 10.5.5 because of using an OEM version of 10.5.8 update combo for an experiment but ended up with the "black window of death" telling me to reboot followed by the same window during the boot process after everything locked up or froze.

Regards

Don

Righto, well my Pentium 4 machine is the last one in my sig, it runs 3.0 GHz with HT and I will remove the GPU for these tests (( don't think SL supports the 610).

I will install it tonight and let you know.

Okay I did a clean reinstall, first I used the migration tool and it got me ethernet etc. all working and attempted to install the Legacy kernel relabeled mach_kernel I placed in my documents and typed the command

sudo cp /mach_kernel /

and got an indication  that the kernel was duplicated or already existed and grrrrrrr :mad:  I figured by using the migration tool it copied my failed attempt from my other hard drive. Next I did another clean install (I'm getting good at this by now :blush::thumbsup_anim:)   but this time I did not use this tool but installed the ethernet 4600 patch and again I typed sudo cp /mach_kernel /

and received

cp: /mach_kernel and /mach_kernel are identical  (not copied)

Next I used OSx86 Tools and used the app to update the kernel with the option of which hard drive and where it was and after  entering my password it went through the motions of installation, indicated the update was successful, and instructed me to restart the computer. 

Upon boot I get

Darwin/x86 boot  v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Build date: 2008-06-09 20:12:22

3711MB memory

VESA v3.0 64MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86 

Crikey and that is as far as it goes

Next I rebooted and pressed enter for more options and typed -x followed by enter and get the following

Darwin/x86 boot  v5.0.132 - Chameleon v1.0.11

Build date: 2008-06-09 20:12:22

3711MB memory

VESA v3.0 64MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86 

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4234670.

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernel] from 4234670.

exactly how I typed it here on this post and below this is the blinking cursor with no further activity :worried_anim:

Now other than NOT using the migration utility as I suspected screwed me up the first time, I didn't disable the other hard drive and hopefully s  :censored:t  didn't get transferred from one drive to the next and i was careful to make sure i selected  the proper directories etc. and if diagnostics or items needing to be reinstalled is necessary i still have my other drive untouched. I will wait and see what you figure before another wipe and reinstall. Perhaps I should call this the Manhattan Project :blowup:

One thing to mention as well now that i just remembered is it advised me to make a backup of the kernel first and my legacy kernel i directed it to was my USB drive so perhaps the backup is on this drive as well. I will reboot to my other drive and check.

It wasn't backed up to the USB drive but clicking on the other drive I labeled iDenebX to make it easier to identify the correct drive with the installed or should I say attempted installed kernel shows mach_kernel and beside it mach_kernel backup so it would appear something did happen and possibly a small repair can be performed from my working iDeneb_V1.3 drive?