Need to buy the perfect hackintoshable Laptop.

ericerk

3 posts in this topic

Basically I need some help.

What would you reccomend, what do you think is the best cheap laptop to hackintosh?

The end goal is running 10.6.8 - 10.7 with Logic Pro 9 as the main application running, wifi and everything else is less important to me.

Thanks.

If you want to run such old OS and software, you might just opt for a C2D MacBook/MacBookPro of 2008/2009. I'm sure you'd find something in the USD $100-200 bracket, maybe even less.

SL 10.6.8 is getting really old by today's standards. SL supports C2D, C2Q and 1st gen "i" Core Arrandale CPUs with Sandy Bridge support only in 10.6.8. Lion needs a C2D minimum and supports CPUs up to Ivy Bridge. You'd have to look for older laptops.

Honestly I want the Macbook Pro 2011, but they're all going for 400+ Same with the older ones, and I'm worried that 2009 MB's just won't be able to handle the 32bit Logic Pro that well.

Well, I can highly recommend the Dell Latitude series. The D620/D630 or D820/D830 are a bit long in the tooth by now so you may want to consider the more recent E6x20 series (Intel HD3000 graphics only). They're going for under $200 these days and work extremely well. I've got a 2011 E6220 myself (see signature) and it works perfectly under Mavericks / Yosemite / El Capitan / Sierra. Very nippy too, especially with its SSD. You'll be able to install SL 10.6.8 or Lion on it but I've never tried these old versions on my E6220 myself (they're just too old).

The entire hardware is supported: USB ports, LAN card, IDT audio (incl. jack output), DW375 Bluetooth, Wireless (with a compatible card), HD3000, HDMI + VGA outputs, SD card reader, webcam.

I'll look into that, thanks.