Computer reboots at grey apple screen with JaS 10.4.8 DVD

Trump48257

12 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install the JaS 10.4.8 on a Dell Dimension 8100 (P4 1.7Ghz, 1.25 Gb RD-RAM, NVidia 5900 Ultra). When booting the JaS 10.4.8 DVD it starts up fine (to the Darwin screen). It seems to go through the startup fine till it gets to the gray screen with the Apple logo in the center of it (which I just see for a split second). Then the monitor shuts off (a Sceptre Naga III 20" Widescreen connected via DVI) and the computer reboots. Anybody have any ideas? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sometimes, this kind of bad behaviour from the peecee can be due to power supplies not being healthy. Why not do a safe mode boot in verbose -s -v thingy and see where it goes then pops into reboot..

I'm having the same trouble. This occurs when trying to install OSx86, prior to being able to select "customize" or anything else for that matter. I've got an Inspiron 6400 (GMA 950) and I've search high and low for a solution. I've tried switching modes via the boot line (safe mode doesn't work, commandline mode, doesn't work, I've tried the "Graphics Mode" switch, etc). In Verbose mode, I get about 3/4s of the screen filled with text. One of the lines reads:

"VID: family specific matching fails"

I also see:

"VID2: family specific matching fails"

Can anyone help?

sometimes, this kind of bad behaviour from the peecee can be due to power supplies not being healthy. Why not do a safe mode boot in verbose -s -v thingy and see where it goes then pops into reboot..

Here is what I get when i try to boot with "-s -v" off of the JaS 10.4.8 DVD. The DVD is ok--I've tried it on a Inspiron e1505 and it boots to the graphic installation just fine. As far as patches it seems like it's recognizing the video card alright (see below)--and I wasn't aware that a Dimension 8100 needed any kind of patch. Anyone have any ideas?

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132

1279MB memory

VESA v3.0 256MB (NVIDIA)

Loading Darwin/x86

Loading kernel mach_kernel

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernal] from 4230450.

Loading HFS+ file: [mach_kernal] from 4230450.

LoadDrivers: Loading from [/system/Library/Extention.mkext]

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extention.mkext] from 4230450.

Loading HFS+ file: [/system/Library/Extention.mkext] from 4230450.

(the machine reboots at this point)

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Just a note...in the last post I had a typo. "Extentions.mkext" should replace "Extention.mkext" every time it appears.

Update: Dammit...I can't type.

It should be "Extensions.mkext" sorry for any confustion.

Are you sure your CPU has SSE3? The current JAS 10.4.8 DVD requires SSE3.

Please check with a copy of a linux live cd distro with the following command: cat /proc/cpuinfo or on windows with CPUID.

If you already have the second edition DVD (the one which is "reseeded"), please wait for the ppf patches for it. If you don't, get it.

Are you sure your CPU has SSE3? The current JAS 10.4.8 DVD requires SSE3.

Please check with a copy of a linux live cd distro with the following command: cat /proc/cpuinfo or on windows with CPUID.

If you already have the second edition DVD (the one which is "reseeded"), please wait for the ppf patches for it. If you don't, get it.

Well don't I feel stupid. I completely though it was SSE3. Sorry to bother you guys. How do I tell which version of the DVD I have (I already deleted the .torrent file)? I started downloading it off demonoid like 4-5 days ago. It was the seed by Jasser.

I have the same issues but I can't figure out if my copies of the dvd are ok or not. I have an Athlon 3200+ and it seems that my cpu isn't supported the isoz I have are MacOSX_10.4.4DVDPATCHED_Myz and Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack . I have tried the verbose mode and it looks like it rejects the cpu and locks up. both isoz do the samething.

this is what I see

Screen01.jpg

DrAVeN25: It will never work on SSE only CPUs, unless someone modifies the kernel to emulate SSE3 and SSE2 with SSE.

You'll have to get yourself a new mainboard and a new CPU, I recommend getting a CPU that has SSE3. Nowadays, most CPUs support SSE3, even the lower end CPUs do, like Sempron (the newer revisions).