Manually start the GUI?

niteice

7 posts in this topic

I find myself often booting into single-user mode to make some change or do some command-line work, and want to later access the GUI - is there a way to do it without rebooting? I tried this:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationsServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.Framework/Resources/WindowServer && /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow

But it just dumped me at the blue screen. No disk activity. Should I have tried Finder and Dock instead of loginwindow?

Hmm...I was right, however, there seem to be some issues with ordering...if I start Finder first, none of the personal settings are loaded until Dock starts. Which has to be done manually. If I do Dock first, then Finder won't start at all until I do it manually. This is why I keep a Terminal down there.

EDIT: If I start WindowServer with -daemon, Dock will never start, even if I put it before Finder. This is puzzling.

You dont need to do nothing but logout, after you do things in Single User Mode in command line mode you just press Control-D or logout, the startup process continues as normal.

niteice I am interested to know your results. I have a Dell D610 that i have been trying to get the intel 915 built in to load on. The kext's all load up fine, but then the booting pauses at the blue screen just before the login window. If I plug in an external monitor everything loads up perfectly fine, but if I don't have that plugged in then i'm not getting past that blue screen.

My problem is shared by many frustrated Intel 915 owners who just can't figure out why their intenal LCD won't boot past the blue. Any help or insights you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

niteice I am interested to know your results. I have a Dell D610 that i have been trying to get the intel 915 built in to load on. The kext's all load up fine, but then the booting pauses at the blue screen just before the login window. If I plug in an external monitor everything loads up perfectly fine, but if I don't have that plugged in then i'm not getting past that blue screen.

My problem is shared by many frustrated Intel 915 owners who just can't figure out why their intenal LCD won't boot past the blue. Any help or insights you might have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

try shutting the laptop lid and suspending the computer....when i suspend my computer and turn it back on it goes to the login screen.....you can also in the bios on some machines select wich display to be your primary display...some have auto detect....take it off auto detect.....just depends on how configurable your bios is....