Overclocking 6-Core CPU on GA-EX58-UD5

Emilo

41 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2019 at 3:01 PM, Emilo said:

What is your motherboard? Where is your edited DSDT coming from?
You didn't provide enough info to diagnose the problem. Provide full list of hardware in your signature.
If you are using GA-EX58-UD5, you can try attached EX58-UD5-F13_mod11 BIOS and my DSDT, config.plist from original post.
If it is different motherboard, try modified BIOS from here:  https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48085-gigabyte-modified-bios.html

EX58-UD5-F13_mod11.zip

Apologies, I'm on the GA EX58 UD5 and x5670. I'm actually on Windows and not Apple OS, so I'm wondering if some modification to the BIOS allowed you to have the x5670 on F13 and if so, if I can have that modification without the Apple OS bits. Thanks!

Edited by Zetren
More Details

On 6/20/2019 at 2:26 PM, Zetren said:

Apologies, I'm on the GA EX58 UD5 and x5670. I'm actually on Windows and not Apple OS, so I'm wondering if some modification to the BIOS allowed you to have the x5670 on F13 and if so, if I can have that modification without the Apple OS bits. Thanks!

I am using both Apple OS and Windows with EX58-UD5-F13_mod11 BIOS version that I previously attached.

This modified BIOS is not Apple OS specific, so it could be used on Windows only machines.

To get rid of old BIOS copy from our "Dual Bios" machines, after rebooting you need to flash the Bios again.

Also after second Bios flash and before attempting to overclock, load "Optimized Defaults" first and reboot.

Edited by Emilo

12 hours ago, Zetren said:

I can't disable hyperthreading on F13 mod 11 (x5670/GA-EX58-UD5), but can on F12. Any reason as to why this is so? Would appreciate it Emilio if you could try to disable it on your motherboard.

I can disable/enable CPU Multi-Threading on F13 mod 11, when BIOS settings from original post are used. I am not sure why it doesn't work on your mobo.

You can also try ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13 from here:  https://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48085-gigabyte-modified-bios.html

Did you try to follow my BIOS settings from original post?

Edited by Emilo

So now it magically works. I assume I was changing too many variables during overclocking which caused it not to stick. I don't know.

What exact difference is there between ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13 and F13 mod 11? Thanks

15 hours ago, Zetren said:

So now it magically works. I assume I was changing too many variables during overclocking which caused it not to stick. I don't know.

What exact difference is there between ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13 and F13 mod 11? Thanks

On my mobo ga-ex58-ud5_MOD_10_16_12_f13 was giving me some trouble, but it was reported to work well for others. If it works for you just stick with it.

All those mods suppose to be BIOS updates of three items: Intel RAID for SATA, Realtek LAN, Jmicron RAID SATA.

Edited by Emilo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still testing it but it seems very stable. My Dynamic Vcore is set to 0,22500 (a couple of notches under 0,24375). This awesome motherboard has 24 voltage regulators on board so it features an extremely accurate current flow and the Xeon X5670 is an overclocking beast.

• 1 month later...

I've replaced Thermal Pads on my GA EX58. I used some very thick (about 3mm) and soft pads for Mosfets and South bridge heatsinks but worked like a charm. The heatsinks themselves just pressed down the pads when I remounted the plastic retain screws. Be very careful when removing the old ones, mine were old and stuck upon the Mosfets and a guitar pick helped a lot to pull them up from the SMD. Anyhow I suggest to replace them, X58 boards they run hot at stock frequencies and of course even more when overclocked so a good heat dissipation is mandatory.

Edited by PPCnostalgic

Just to report that the best modded BIOSs for this board are available here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4653f36-GA-EX-UD-Rev-F-Invalid-Bios-Image-after-add-new-microcode.html#msg79342

The modified BIOSs throughout this thread should not be used as they over 5 years old and are not Spectre-patched, among other things.

Edited by Zetren
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:10 PM, Zetren said:

Just to report that the best modded BIOSs for this board are available here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4653f36-GA-EX-UD-Rev-F-Invalid-Bios-Image-after-add-new-microcode.html#msg79342

The modified BIOSs throughout this thread should not be used as they over 5 years old and are not Spectre-patched, among other things.

Thank you Zetren.

I have installed and tested recommended Spectre-patched EX58N112 modded BIOS version for GA-EX58-UD5 mobo.
I have also installed Intel RSTe Drivers & Software Set v11.7.4.1001 WHQL for Windows 10 side.
I can confirm that everything works fine.

Edited by Emilo

Hi all

Is there anyone here with one of the Gigabyte X58 motherboards, who is using a recent AMD GPU?  Such as the RX580 or Vega 64?

Until recently I was using the 7970Ghz / R9 280X, which generally worked OK except from boot I could only get a picture on 2 ports, and needed to sleep & wake for all GPU ports to work.  Also, since 10.14, there would be many errors in Console until I did sleep and wake.  In particular, the error "CRITICAL ERROR : VBLANK interrupt has not been generated in time!"

Now I have upgraded to a Gigabyte RX Vega 64, and the situation is worse:  I get no picture on any port at all until I sleep and wake, but trying to sleep will cause the system to crash.  And there are even more errors in Console, including messages about "GPU hang" and stuff like that. 

The only solution is to boot without any monitors connected to any GPU port.   This means no errors appear, and a sleep will work (I do it remotely by SSH from another computer).   Then when the machine is sleeping I can plug in all monitors, then wake it up, and it mostly then works.   Except I am having intermittent problems getting my 4K monitor to connect at 4K@60hz (over DisplayPort).    And also, I have no HW h264/h265 encode/decode acceleration.

So I am wondering/hoping whether any other X58 user is using a recent AMD GPU and knows of any solutions for these many problems?   I am using WhateverGreen latest version, and with the Vega 64 I use Clover's "InjectATI" option; I don't know what this changes exactly, but it gives me a much higher GPU score in Geekbench, so it is definitely helping in some way.

My current theory is that the most likely reason for these problems is that I have no internal GPU, which most users do have these days.

Thanks in advance for any help or info.

TB

EDIT: Thanks to help from mald0n on another forum, I have now got working h264/h265 encode/decode, and have seemingly resolved the 4K@60 issue.   My bootup situation is also improved, as I can now boot with exactly one monitor connected and get a picture on it.  I still need to sleep & wake to get a picture on more monitors, and must disconnect other monitors before booting otherwise sleep is not possible.  But this is still a big improvement, and for anyone who had just one monitor, it would work perfectly without sleep being required at all.

The solution: changing SMBIOS to iMacPro 1.1, which is a system that does not have an iGPU and therefore seemingly makes a useful difference on other systems that don't have an iGPU, like our X58 systems.

It's not a perfect solution but things are much improved for me at this moment.  I'd still love to hear from anyone else using a recent AMD GPU to see if you have these issues or have found any solution.

Edited by TheBloke

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I'm tying making all with first post, but on Catalina 10.15.3 my Core ratio without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext is 12x and Cores Running on 1.20MHz.

After NUllCPUPOwer kext i have full speed, but is slower then on my Mac PRO 5.1 in my office.

I'm using DSDT and BIOS MOD from first post, and i think all switches i BIOS.

529393110_Screenshot2020-02-15at02_49_25.png.58a7e33646d9b4110c068c44b53ebbb4.png222887775_Screenshot2020-02-15at02_20_21.png.c46961f45ad6f43419f656954e2b50cd.png1792775786_Screenshot2020-02-15at02_53_26.png.6589ea7761c8da6fbebda78b7d51368d.png1435426425_Screenshot2020-02-15at19_41_58.png.f0b8f7854cf887982d36cd909edb1158.png

• 7 months later...

just want to add my overclocking results

1000pts in cinebench r15

gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

24gb corsair vengeance ram 1.5v

strix rx 580 8gb

750w psu

x5660 

noctua cooler

i dont do burn tests or whatever as no point, it runs games for 12+ hours straight, thats good enough test.

currently has a 4.3 ghz overclock stable with 69c max temps in cinebench run all cores

23x multi

qpi clock ratio x36

qpi link speed 6.73ghz

187 bclk

system mem multi 8.0 

1496 ram mhz

ram timings 9-10-10-30

cpu vcore  1.39375

qpi/vtt voltage 1.335

ioh core  1.240

dram voltage  1.500v

llc is enabled