Back to OSX!

duggyb

11 posts in this topic

Well i was into OSX awhile back...not to long after it started....in the deadmoo image era.

well i am planning on buying a new hard drive in a couple days here...because my current one is dying...well anyways i am starting to use macs some more at school(mainly imovie) and i figured heck why not boot up the ol OSX on my PC so i can use iMovie at home....anyways i downloaded the JaS 10.6 install DVD from torrents and was just wondering if i need to convert it to an ISO before i burn it to a DVD...or do i just burn the RAR? or do i burn just the files that are in the RAR? like extract and burn?

if anyones knows...please let me know....and its glad to be back:)

THNX

Duggy

Tip:

How do you plan to boot if you burn it as rar files?

:)

Guest bikedude880

Extract the rar file. If you get an ISO file, burn it to a DVD at low speeds. If it's a DMG file, you will need to convert it to an ISO file (this assumes you are on a Windows machine) and then burn it. Good luck!

Tip:

How do you plan to boot if you burn it as rar files?

:)

Truely XD

are you sure it was a rar? when i downloaded isos in windows winrar decided to associate iso with winrar so it would basicly extract the contents of the ISO into a folder. It also showed the icon as winrar so it got confusing. double check to see if this is really a rar file. good chance is that its an iso.

if you need a small free app to burn the iso go to this website and download image for windows. luck to ya

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html

That's the same as what you'll get when you insert a Mac OS X installation DVD into your drive in Windows. But it probably won't work that way. I think he had to make a burnable image of the DVD rather than just copying it.

Anyway, goodluck. If it won't boot when you burn the DVD(which it probably won't), you'll have to download another one.

Yeah, it's supposed to be an iso. But Winrar wouldn't have opened it if it didn't already have the iso extension. Anyway, if the extension got deleted add it back. Burn it with imgburn or similar - www.imgburn.com. Insert the burned dvd in your dvd burner/player and open it with isobuster and you should see all the files, even the apple file system files. Isobuster will also tell you if it's bootable.