Installer hangs on grey screen

Foxic

4 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm after a bit of help with installing Sierra GM.

The system this post pertains to is an EX58-UD5 with Nehalem i7 920 and Nvidia 480 GTX, all working perfectly since the snow leopard days. Updates have always been a case of clicking update and waiting, until now that is!

I'm running 10.11.6, I've updated clover to r3726 (latest build from sourceforge), I've downloaded Sierra from the app store, clicked install, rebooted, selected the install media. Grey screen with beach ball/spinner. I can move the mouse, the system sleeps and wakes but just doesn't bring up the installer.

So I updated fakesmc to 6.20.1410 (the latest I could find from HWsensors). Same issue

This is usually what happens when fakesmc doesn't get loaded, but seeing as the install media is read only I can even load fakesmc through single user mode on the way in. I can't even run kextstat as it doesn't exist on the installer.

I then created a USB with createmedia --nointeraction, looked on the USB and theres no sign of S/L/E or L/E to dump fakesmc into. So I put my working EFI folder (with updated clover and fakesmc, boots 10.11 ok) onto the USB. I also put my dsdt on there in the root and in ACPI/patched. Same issue, grey screen.

I have tried booting with nv_disable=1 which results in the same grey screen with beach ball/spinner but at a reduced resolution.

So what I plan to do next is to recreate the installer using the restore method and put fakesmc somewhere that is loaded by the kernel, but before I do I wanted to ask, does this sound like a fakesmc problem or something else.

I can't see why clover would not be injecting fakesmc but I can't run kextstat from single user mode as it doesn't exist on the installer.

Help!

The SMC is already loaded long time ago when u see the spinning logo. Do a clean vanilla USB with 3726 and fksmc, for installation do not use DSDT and do not enable Nvidia, use -v. The grey/stuck screen is most of the times graphics problems.