Wingrub boot probs

a00

25 posts in this topic

Hey,

I use to have everything working, until i decided to add a new ide harddrive for macosx.

I had it installed on external usb drive before.

Here is my menu list in grub

timeout 10

title Windows at (hd0,0)

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title MacOSX <------ External HD

root (hd2,1)

chainloader +1

title MacOSX1 <------ IDE HD

root (hd3,0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

boot

I can't boot into macos from either now

I get this message when i select MacOSX1 (the IDE drive)

Booting 'MacOSX1'

root (hd3,0)

Filesystem type ntfs, partion type (i forgot whatelse it said)

makeactive

chainloader +1

When i select my external hd with osx, i get the drive doesn't exist or something message

Here is a pic of my partion list in wingrub

I can boot into windows with no problems

post-32662-1162094374_thumb.jpg

For the IDE osx, what happens if you chose to boot with that drive first?

I.e., without grub interfering, just booting osx1 directly (making sure partition is active first).

As for the usb osx, there was a thread about it which i don't have a link now. I think donh had some solution about it.

I was able to boot with the usb drive with no problems before i added the ide and started messing with the menu list

how would i go abouts booting the ide drive directly???

I've got 4 drives connected to my comp

C: 320gb SATA

D: 320gb SATA

E: External 200gb -I have 20gb partioned for MacOSX

And a 8gb IDE drive that is just for MacOSX

Usually you can set your boot order in the bios. Some boards will let you chose the order temporarily at boot if you press some F-key.

Since you'll be booting from a disk that doesn't know grub, the mbr will seek to boot on the active partition, which is why you should make sure the osx1 partition is active when you try that.

The reason I ask you to try this is to see if it's a grub problem or one with your system (osx, disk, etc) after the 'transfusion'.

Also check here in the wiki for other grub line options, eg the "--force" and/or "rootnoverify" bits. One and/or the other might help.

Which, booting from the 8gb disk directly, or the wiki suggestions, or both?

Unplugging the 8gb ide makes the osx on usb external work again I guess.

I'm not familiar with wingrub: did you make those entries from your pic yourself? Does wingrub itself detect the drives and numbers them?

What I'm getting at: is it possible that introducing the 8gb ide, this one becomes (hd2) and the external usb becomes (hd3).

That could explain at least the bit about ntfs on (hd3,0), but not much else.

yeah it won't boot

i remember when i was playing around with the menu list, i got the usb to boot

i think it just involves labeling the ide drive correctly in the menulist

i took a pic of the current partition list in wingrub

that is how it is set up now

how should i change my menu list with my current partition list setup

again, thanks for the help

Well, if you made the 8gb osx partition active, and made the bios load that drive first, and it still didn't want to boot, the problem might not be grub.

What kind of error do you get when you proceed as above?

Also, how did you install osx there?

As for wingrub, was the labeling made/detected by it, or you were the one that had to input the lines?

the partition list detects it, but i had to add it to the menu list

i installed osx by just puting the dvd in my drive and selecting the ide harddrive to install

i converted the ide into a mac journaled (extended) partion before putting osx on it

actually it does work if i boot directly to the ide drive

its definetly a prob with wingrub

you think it might be because i have it as a slave drive

the master is the dvd drive

so it does work booting directly... well, that's what i wanted to know; it's good news.

So when you said it didn't boot a bit earlier (twice), was it about changing the details found in the wiki (eg "--force" and/or "rootnoverify" additions) ?

and yes, do put the hd master and dvd slave; might help.

i got it to work :D

turns out the ide was labelled 1

so if i did root(hd1,0)

it works

the only thing now is, i screwed up my display

booooooo

i loaded macvidia drivers

i set it to 1440x900 and everything was smooth

then i was curious as to what would happen if i set higher than my native display

now its all crazy :)

how do i force it to a resolution of 1024x768

so i can change it later

When you get to the darwin boot menu, press F8 and then enter:

"Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32"

When you boot in this lower resolution, replace the resolution at a level you know works.

A trick for next time you want to explore other resolutions: when a resolution is selected in the list, move selection with up/down arrows. One by one you learn which resolutions work for you. When you get to a resolution that doesn't act well, then use the up arrow to get to the previous selection: it works even if the screen is blank!

Great!!!

Thanks A Lot!!!!!!!!

Although, F8 doesn't work for some reason

I used -x to get into safe mode

Now I need to get my wireless working :)

I've got a linksys wmp54g ven1814 dev0314 version 4.4

How can I get this to work??

By the way, did you get ur sata2 drives to work in osx???

im thinking about installing osx on my sata2 drive, but it won't detect it

Yeah I've installed the Ralink drivers, but osx still doesn't detect it

neither does the ralink app

it says device is not connected or something

do i have to modify the IO80211Family.kext or something???

what do i do???

i installed the r61cardbusdriver from ralink

btw, is 6mb/s hard drive speed normal for an ide connection??? how can i speed that up as well??

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

i´m still without dualboot :) . I´ve downloaded Wingrb and into de default profile (is this ok or have i got to change any other thing) i´ve changed menu table to

title Windows at (hd0,0)

root (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

title MacOSX <------ External HD

root (hd1,1)

chainloader +1

and in start grub menu doesn´t appears MacOSX ¿?. I think it could be an activation hd problem, because partiton magic labels mac partition as "logical", but i don´t no how to change it into "active".

Thanks for all!!

You'd need to set the osx partition as active before the chainloader line, but since this only applies to primary partitions, you can't.

So you'll need to make it into a primary partition. I don't use PMagic, so can't direct you here; look into its manual for instructions.

Then check one of the examples above. Since it will be a primary (before the extended), it should be (hd1,0)... (in your example, (hd1,0) is the extended partition itself).

Also, there might be an additional problem about it being an external hd. Some have had problems, with solution (donh). Try it first (I'll try to find the link if it goes wrong).

Your osx partition is a logical partition, normally contained within an extended partition.

What you need to do is to put osx in a primary partition ('primaria'). Try reading the manual for PMagic to know how to convert a logical partition into a primary (if it can).

I was able to boot with the usb drive with no problems before i added the ide and started messing with the menu list

how would i go abouts booting the ide drive directly???

I've got 4 drives connected to my comp

C: 320gb SATA

D: 320gb SATA

E: External 200gb -I have 20gb partioned for MacOSX

And a 8gb IDE drive that is just for MacOSX

what do you did to be able to boot with the usb drive? what kind of format du you use to install Mac? (mac with registry or mac without registry)

thanks again for all!!

You'd need to set the osx partition as active before the chainloader line, but since this only applies to primary partitions, you can't.

So you'll need to make it into a primary partition. I don't use PMagic, so can't direct you here; look into its manual for instructions.

Then check one of the examples above. Since it will be a primary (before the extended), it should be (hd1,0)... (in your example, (hd1,0) is the extended partition itself).

Also, there might be an additional problem about it being an external hd. Some have had problems, with solution (donh). Try it first (I'll try to find the link if it goes wrong).

I´ve set mac hd partition as primary, and i´ve reinstalled mac os (10.4.5) on it. Now, in partition magic it appears like primary and active, but grub says that "unit (1,1) doesn´t exists.

post-54949-1163947361_thumb.jpg