Help with shrinking a partition.

kaydubs

11 posts in this topic

This is how I would like to have my computer setup.

C:\ (Vista system files)

O:\ (OSX system files)

X:\ (A Fat32 drive for files for both systems)

C: is the active hard-drive and I'm running Vista on it right now.

My question, my entire disk is an 80 GB hard-drive...C:\ is a 50.3GB partition and it says there is 34.9 free (I have some space also unformatted that is reserved for the yet-to-be-installed OSX). I would like to take as much space from C: and use it for X: but when I try to shrink C:\ even by 500 MB, it says it's too much. I'm sorry, I don't know too much when it comes to this stuff...is this even possible?

This is how I would like to have my computer setup.

C:\ (Vista system files)

O:\ (OSX system files)

X:\ (A Fat32 drive for files for both systems)

C: is the active hard-drive and I'm running Vista on it right now.

My question, my entire disk is an 80 GB hard-drive...C:\ is a 50.3GB partition and it says there is 34.9 free (I have some space also unformatted that is reserved for the yet-to-be-installed OSX). I would like to take as much space from C: and use it for X: but when I try to shrink C:\ even by 500 MB, it says it's too much. I'm sorry, I don't know too much when it comes to this stuff...is this even possible?

... yes, use gparted live cd --> http://gparted.sourceforge.net/ other wise you wont be able to do it because like norton partition magic for example, you cant have it on the hard drive your booting off of because it will not be able to partition it. if you need any help with gparted you just reboot and boot off of the cd.... but its pritty straght forward and you will more than likely be able to figure it out, but just post here if u have ne issues. :blink: good luck!

I had that problem before, I fixed it by reformatting! :\

Now I shrunk the partition just fine, down to about 20 GB...now when I go to restart it says that winlogon.exe is missing. Did I strike the boot.ini problem again? If I did, it's no problem...guess I just gotta reformat...again.

Why is that?

Why 3 party software such as PM or say, Disk Director cann't do it?

because you can not edit the mbr or the disk sizes when the disk is in use, and if you have one harddrive thats where the program is and the os is, so you cant, i forget the details, i figured it out with alot of research because it wouldnt work for me... gparted is a bootable cd (so the hard drive is not in use when your doing it) and i think it was also when it was mounted, but thats highly unlikely.

Why is that?

Why 3 party software such as PM or say, Disk Director cann't do it?

The Partition can't be in use that is being resized. You just need to use the bootable version of Partition Magic. It's on Hiren's Boot CD. (Check Demonoid) Disk director should be able to handle it too but I've only used Patition Magic for Partition resizes.

• 2 weeks later...

It is often desirable to make the first partition a small FAT32 partition. Some installations of Windows (and other OS) will insist on it. So if there's any possibility you'll be swapping around OS make an initial FAT32 of at least 128MB. You'll probably be happier with 512MB.