Forgot iTunes backup password

Sillyape

8 posts in this topic

I made a backup for my iPhone two weeks ago and I didn't write down the password for it and now I can't remember. Is there anyhing I can do to get it back? I need to restore a few of pics of the iTunes backup. Pls help. Thanx

There are some apps that claim to be able to extract data from an encrypted iOS backup but that seems a bit shady to me. They probably just attempt to brute-force or dictionary attack the backup. I'd say you're out of luck.

• Like 2

There are some apps that claim to be able to extract data from an encrypted iOS backup but that seems a bit shady to me. They probably just attempt to brute-force or dictionary attack the backup. I'd say you're out of luck.

I tried iPhone Backup Extractor. When I selected the encrypted backup, it still asks me for password.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Forgot iTunes backup password:

You cannot restore an encrypted backup without a password. With iOS 11 or higher, you can create a new encrypted backup of your device by resetting your password. What does this do:
1. On your iOS device, go to Settings > General > Reset.
2. Tap reset all settings and enter your iOS password.
3. Follow the steps to reset the settings. This will not affect your user data or password, but will reset settings such as display brightness, home screen layout and wallpaper. It will also delete your encrypted backup password.
4. Connect the device to iTunes again and create a new encrypted backup.
You will not be able to use the previous encrypted backup, but you can use iTunes to back up your current data and set a new backup password.

If your device uses iOS 10 or earlier, you won't be able to reset your password. In this case, try the following:

If someone else has set up your device, ask for their password.
Use iCloud backup instead of iTunes. If you don't have an iCloud backup, you can create a backup.
Try using an older iTunes backup.

you may also refer to this post to get your iTunes passcode recovery