Use a El Capitan's VM to work?

3 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

I'm going to build an unRAID rig soon. It's a NAS+VMs+Docker solution (see https://lime-technology.com). Their implementation of KVM includes modern versions of QEMU, libvirt, VFIO*, VirtIO, and VirtFS.  They also support OVMF.

In any case, I'm a Mac user, I do graphic design and I currently use an iMac i7 from late 2013. It's funny because what got me into the Mac world was actually building my first hackintosh back in 2008

What got my attention from unRAID is the ability to get into one PC your NAS/Dockers/etc but also a perfectly-capable VM with all this passthrough technology. However we all know that keep running a hackintosh could be risky when new updates and stuff goes out, so I think making a virtual machine of OS X is a much better option for reliability as you can just back it up and have that copy safe in case something goes wrong after an update.

So, my question is... can you create an El Capitan VM that is as performing and stable almost as a normal Mac? (of course buying adequate hardware). What is your experience with OSX VM's?

I know you can passthrough certain GPUs and they have bare-metal performance... but what about for example a PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD?

Thank you!  :thumbsup_anim:

• 1 month later...

You can have perfect Hack for under £400 (second hand Lenovo M73/83, 16Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 750 Ti Overclocked, ATP500 500W power)

And you can have any backup you want before any update (just in case)

No VM will match its performance, but it is your call to experiment...