Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vanquybn

Is this optimus working on my Mac OS X

6 posts in this topic

Advertisement

I got dual gpu working on my Mac os x

Please check out this video:

Thanks for your video which showed some progress for Nvidia GPU Optimus in Mac OS X.

It's not normal for your Nvidia GPU without any display connected in System Preference.

It should show something as your Intel HD 4600.

I'm afraid, no, this is not Optimus working on your Hackintosh...

The video shows that the OS detects both GPU (nothing special or new here...), however it does not mean by any way that you actually have switchable graphics (or Optimus) working and that graphics are also handled by the nVidia GPU. As quite rightly indicated by jsl, the nVidia GPU does not show any display output connected to it.

nVidia Optimus technology is only supported under Windows and Linux, so you'd never have Optimus working in OS X per sé, until Apple decided to use the technology but, so far, they went for their own proprietary software/hardware-based switchable graphics solution that is more energy efficient (according to them). As far as I know, OS X did not grow a spirit on its own and go off on a rebellion to use and run Optimus by itself and against the will of its creator.  :P

Given those facts, I really don't see how you could get switchable graphics and/or Optimus working on your Hack.

These are old info, but still relevant today:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/04/13/nvidia_says_new_macbook_pro_graphics_switching_isnt_optimus

http://www.geek.com/apple/macbook-pros-switchable-graphics-doesnt-use-optimus-1189552/

http://www.macworld.com/article/1150575/mbp_update.html

Try GPU stress tests with tools such as Heaven UNIGINE with both GPU enabled then with the nVidia GPU disabled. You'll then be able to compare results and get a better idea for yourself re: (absence of) switchable graphics on Hackintosh.

As it's been stated so many numerous times before and for so many numerous years, a Hackintosh can only use either the integrated or the discrete GPU, not both. In addition, depending on manufacturer's physical implementation, you may only obtain some but not all display outputs, depending on your active graphics chip. For instance, the iGPU may get you built-in LCD and VGA or DVI outputs but not HDMI; and vice-versa.

Until such time as Apple actually implement nVidia's technology, claiming Optimus operation on a Hackintosh is as worthy as claiming seeing Elvis Presley on a date with Lady Gaga at Ronald Reagan's 1st inauguration. The only form of Optimus implementation on Mac I know of is this one.

As it's been stated so many numerous times before and for so many numerous years, a Hackintosh can only use either the integrated or the discrete GPU, not both. In addition, depending on manufacturer's physical implementation, you may only obtain some but not all display outputs, depending on your active graphics chip. For instance, the iGPU may get you built-in LCD and VGA or DVI outputs but not HDMI; and vice-versa.

So how would one configure their hackintoshed laptop to only use the nvidia chip? (Assuming the manufacturer's implementation would allow for the nvidia chip to control the LCD)

Hi,

I have Samsung Laptop which have Intel HD 4000 integrated and Nvidia gt 650m gpu. Optimus technology. I have been trying to run hackintosh on this laptop since 2012 but no success. I could install and run, everything works, just graphic does not work. Everything flicks and all system animations shown in frames. Neither integrated graphic works or nvidia. Please tell me how did you get it work smoothly. I don't care if both graphic card work or not, even one of them work that would be great.

Thanks

You're off-topic in this old and dead thread. Open a new dedicated thread for your own specific system in the relevant forum section (Graphics or laptop brand for instance). You'll probably have to disable the dGPU to run only on the iGPU and that'll require you to correctly configure your system for Ivy Bridge integrated graphics.

Edited by Hervé

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 9lex
      Hi all, recently I upgraded to hp z620. Almost without problems ran my old system softraid0 ElCapitan 10.11.6, install clean Sierra 10.12.1.

Config:
      cpu intel E5 2650
      mem 64gb 1333mhz
      nvidia quadro 4000 2gb (pcie slot2)
      wifi Atheros Ar9285 (pcie slot3)
      nvidia gf440 (pci slot5)

All works well out of the box (sleep, restart, shutdown, usb2) except for power management (P-, C-states magically earned patch AppleIntelCPUPowerManagment.kext)
      I decided to put a second video card (gf440) and received cyclic reboot when GUI loading. Equally for web and macOS drivers, but nv_disable = 1 - is loaded in GUI.

smbios - macpro6.1
      Clover ver.3911

EFI / CLOVER / kexts / 10.12 /
      FakeSMC.kext
      USBInjectAll.kext
      VoodooTSCSync.kext
      FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
      FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
      FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext

EFI / CLOVER / ACPI / patched
      ssdt-cpupm.aml (gen by ssdtPRGen.sh)
      SSDT-XOSI.aml

/ S / L / E
      VoodooHDA.kext
      AppleHDADisabler.kext
      HackPlatformPlugin.kext
      X79PlatformPlugin.kext

In BIOS everything is standard (AHCI, vt-x is off and so on.)
      Varies with each other.

Please help and advice on how to make a second video card?

config.plist
      original DSDT

patched DSDT by clover
      in attached files

thz for answers!)
      files.zip
    • By noob9999
      Hello, I have n551JM CN201 asus laptop with Intel HD 4600 and NVIDIA 860m. The battery with Hackintosh is low because the Nvidia discharge the battery quickly. Can anyone help me to disable DSDT Patch My nvidia? My bootloader v2.3 clover. thanks 
      DSDT.aml.zip
    • By Lju88
      Hello there,

I had everything working under 10.8.5 with Chimera Bootloader. I needed to upgrade my system (xCode 6 requires at least Mavericks) so i decided to switch to Clover and jump to Yosemite.

Everything is working like a charm, even better than before, but my second GPU, an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770, stopped to work! I tried to edit DSDT and i tried to look around and other many ways but i couldn't make it work.

I can boot normally but only the screens connected to my GTX 770 are working. To enable the 5770 i have to add the device+vendor id (0x68B81002) to AMD5000Controller.kext's info.plist but when i boot into the OS the ATI monitor turns on (black with backlight turned on) and the nVidia's monitor turns off (neither backlight is on) and it stuck there.

In the log i see exactly when this happens:
      ** GPU Hardware VM is disabled (multispace: disabled, page table updates with DMA: disabled) I tried to add the FB name in clover settings (Vervet), tried to inject and not ATI and a lot of other things but i didn't succeed to make both work like it was before on Chimera&10.8, i dunno what else to do.

Any suggestions?

PS:
      Logging without adding the Device-ID in the kext i notice a "ATY,Vervet: Not usable", but guess it's caused from the missing device id.

I attach DarwinDump with ioreg, Clover Config, ACPI Tables, SSDTs, etc.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdw0kmzw4gxvu7h/DarwinDumper_2.9.7_AMI_X64_3168_Yos_zeus.zip?dl=0

Thanks,
      Lju

• By Ivan92
      Hi all

I got an ASUS U41SV with a discrete NVIDIA graphics card, and I have reached a solution to disable it in OS X.

Spec of the laptop
      CPU: Intel Core i5-2410M 2.3 GHz Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz Chipset: Intel HM65 Graphics: Intel HD3000 + NVIDIA GeForce GT540M Display: 14" 1366 x 768 Audio codec: Realtek ALC269 WiFi: Atheros 9285  
      OS X Configuration
      Niresh's distro of Yosemite A whole SSD reserved for OS X Chameleon bootloader SMBIOS: MacBookPro8,1 (13-inch, Early 2011) Updated to 10.10.1 via App Store  
      Disabling Optimus

The guide here does not fit this laptop, but after some modifications, it works on U41SV.
      I first extracted DSDT under Windows with AIDA64 Back to OS X, I used MaciASL to edit the DSDT extracted from Windows At the begging of the file, I added the following line: // ... DefinitionBlock ("iASLnv4Cgf.aml", "DSDT", 1, "_ASUS_", "Notebook", 0x00000000) { // the line below was added External (\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.SGOF, MethodObj) // ... Then I added the following method before Method (_WAK, 1, Serialized) // ... Method (M_OF, 0, NotSerialized) { If (CondRefOf (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._OFF)) { \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._OFF () } If (CondRefOf (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._PS3)) { \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0._PS3 () } If (CondRefOf (\_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.SGOF)) { \_SB.PCI0.PEG0.GFX0.SGOF () } } // ... Then called the method M_OF in the method _WAK // ... Method (_WAK, 1, Serialized) { M_OF () // calling M_OF () WAK (Arg0) Return (Package (0x02) { Zero, Zero }) } // ... And called the method M_OF again in the method _INI // ... Scope (_SB.PCI0) { Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized) { Store (0x07D0, OSYS) M_OF () // calling M_OF () If (CondRefOf (\_OSI, Local0)) { If (_OSI ("Linux")) { Store (0x03E8, OSYS) } // ... Finally clicked compile in MaciASL, and saved the DSDT as /Extra/DSDT.aml  
      And now NVIDIA Optimus is disabled.
      Edit: HDMI output working, VGA untested, able to adjust brightness of built-in display

And here is my edited DSDT.
      ASUS-U41SV-DSDT.aml.zip

Credits
      Thanks to Whit3Spirit for the guide here
    • By xZaggin
      Can anyone help me compile one? 

I need to patch one so that I can follow the rest of this tutorial: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/295584-disabling-nvidia-optimus-card-on-all-laptops/page-11

The thing is I'm not sure what's going wrong, I've tried to use Chameleon wizard to patch it but got 3 errors, and from what I've been told if it has any errors at all it will not be patched so no disabling nVidia for me.

Someone told me to manually rewrite the DSDT, or maybe it was to rewrite the patch within it but I simply have no idea how that is done or where to even begin

Some instructions would be great, I would like to understand what I'm doing so I know what exactly is going on.

Not sure if this is necessary

Specs:
      Asus S550CM (touchscreen laptop)
      Intel core  i5-3317u  1.7 Ghz Quad
      8 Gigs Ram
      1TB HDD
      24 Gigs SSD (mac installed on it)
      Win 8.1