Early Mac Pro 1.1 running El Capitan issues at boot

Mageek

5 posts in this topic

I have managed to overcome the 32bit EFI problem and get El Capitan 10.11.2 running on my 2006 Mac Pro.  Everything looks good except I have a few issues. Currently I am not using Clover or anything else in the EFI. 

During the boot my screen is entirely blank.  I have an entirely blank screen with no apple logo.  My monitor is blinking with no screen signal present until all of the sudden I have a login screen.  Everything is normal from there on.  This means I am blind during the boot process. The keyboard is active so I can do things like hold the option key down etc. Just can't see anything.  I would like to be able to select different drives during the boot process. Is there a NVRAM setting I can use that might help?  Command V does nothing.  I remember reading something about needing a VGA monitor or something.  Any work around out there?

Also, I am using a modified NVidia GeForce GT120 with 1g memory that has two dvi plugs.  I have attached a second monitor to the card.  I can't get it recognized by detect button in the preference display module.  Do I have to install a second video card to run two monitors?  

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your Graphic card may be not supported. If you install a non-Apple graphic card in a Mac Pro (e.g. a PC Nvidia card) you can't see your booting screen, but when OS X gets past booting process the card will work, I've checked it with several graphic cards on my Mac Pro 3.1 8 Cores. So are you sure your Nvidia GT120 is supported by El Capitan?

Thank you for responding.  

Not sure what you mean by support.  If it was "fully" supported then I wouldn't have this problem.  Tried NVidia's El Capitan drivers but it seems 10.11.2 isn't supported yet as it reports an unsupported version.

Soooo...

I have an older Apple NVidia GT120 card with 512m of memory the acted exactly like the newer one I have installed on boot up starting with Maverick.  I had read that El Capitan liked at least 1gig of video memory so that is why I upgraded.  The newer video card has been flashed to work on Apple.

Bought an older NVidia with DVI and VGA didn't make any progress as of yet.