Arch Linux: a review

Alessandro17

10 posts in this topic

Jesse Smith of DistroWatch has published a review of Arch Linux: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20151221#arch

He thinks basically like me:

Arch Linux presents an investment in time, reading and maintenance that I do not find practical for my day-to-day needs. But I do think we could all agree running Arch Linux is an educational experience. Running Arch is something I think will appeal to people who like to build their operating systems rather than simply run them.

And thus it is not for me and I suspect many other people will feel the same.

• Like 4

Debian is the best out there in the heap 

The RPM style distributions for business(centos/rhel, opensuse,etc) use are pretty good based on my recent testing. I have no idea how often they are updated but you see alot of polish on them now.

how does it compare to freebsd and solaris in enterprise benchmarks then?

Its not for Benchmarks its for usibility, because you have crashes with solaris you have to repair things after updates and Debian can least ten years without reinstall

Its not for Benchmarks its for usibility, because you have crashes with solaris you have to repair things after updates and Debian can least ten years without reinstall

ambitious claim i would thought time between reboots while under extreme load and maintaining load appropriate performance would have mattered a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying arch linux right now since I couldn't get my OS X partition operationally again, and my windows partition has a bad video driver that will not completely uninstall.

P.S. I tried openSUSE, and linux mint, but suse wouldn't accept my password after installation, and I wanted try something harder and adventurous then mint.