[Guide] 10.11 El Capitan On the Surface Pro 4

maj1es2tic

232 posts in this topic

I'm posting up my Clover folder, it has all the DSDT/SSDTs in the patched section.  I'm also posting up a separate text file with the battery patches.  Until we get a skylake mobile Mac, we are in a bit of an odd spot.  As is, AppleLPC won't load and as such, the power button and probably many other things don't work quite right.  It can be faked, but with the Macbook pro 11,2 smbios, things still don't work as expected.  The USB devices cause a sleep assertion that prevents the whole sleep/wake thing.  That's easily eliminated, but without a working power button, there's no way to wake the SP4 from sleep.  I expect a lot of these types of problems to resolve themselves when we can use the appropriate smbios.  I've left the power patch out of the files so you don't accidentally put the SP4 to sleep, necessitating a hard shut down.  Of course, you can always continue to use the latest iMac smbios, but then you won't have brightness control, etc. not that it matters at this point.  Apparently some other folks have already taken a look at the latest developer preview 10.11.3 kexts and there's not really any improvement with the famebuffers just yet.   Oh, and I'm adding my ioreg too, but it's nothing new really and probably has some goofy things going on because I was working on the LPC thing.  A few more months and I bet we will be in business.

EDIT *** - I take that back, guys, the power edit is in there so if you put your system to sleep while using my DSDT/SSDTs, you will not be able to wake it unless you have a functional power button.  I will start working on a patch list, but again, until we get a real viable smbios to use + working framebuffers, it doesn't make much difference.

EDIT *** - refined the battery patch a little.

CLOVER.zip

jhaxpro’s MacBook Pro.zip

SP4BatteryPatch.txt

Edited by blankmac

So I haven't really used the SP4 in OSX for anything yet because of all the UI artifacts, but on a whim I installed chrome and oddly, it renders perfectly.  I haven't had one artifact on a web page at all, including youtube/videos.  Safari is completely unusable for me and doesn't even render most pages.  Same with the quicktime player -- totally unusable, but VLC works perfectly.  Weird.  Also, with brightness on the lowest setting and tethered via USB to my phone for the internet, OSX is reporting 5hrs 15 minutes battery time remaining.  I think that's pretty encouraging considering that while power management is working for the CPU, it is probably not working for the GPU just yet.  AGPM is loaded, but I only saw two speeds.  

So I haven't really used the SP4 in OSX for anything yet because of all the UI artifacts, but on a whim I installed chrome and oddly, it renders perfectly.  I haven't had one artifact on a web page at all, including youtube/videos.  Safari is completely unusable for me and doesn't even render most pages.  Same with the quicktime player -- totally unusable, but VLC works perfectly.  Weird.  Also, with brightness on the lowest setting and tethered via USB to my phone for the internet, OSX is reporting 5hrs 15 minutes battery time remaining.  I think that's pretty encouraging considering that while power management is working for the CPU, it is probably not working for the GPU just yet.  AGPM is loaded, but I only saw two speeds.  

Have you patched the OSYS declaration for Darwin? There are many OSYS checks in the DSDT/SSDT. Can't hurt to try it (keep a backup of your working DSDT just in case).

Have you patched the OSYS declaration for Darwin? There are many OSYS checks in the DSDT/SSDT. Can't hurt to try it (keep a backup of your working DSDT just in case).

I know I did originally, but when I went back through to build the battery patch, I may have missed it. Probably going to try starting from scratch, reinstalling, etc... Just to make sure my results are repeatable. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have some good news on the touchscreen front. :-)

I know I did originally, but when I went back through to build the battery patch, I may have missed it. Probably going to try starting from scratch, reinstalling, etc... Just to make sure my results are repeatable. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have some good news on the touchscreen front. :-)

No luck with the touchscreen unfortunately. Doesn't even look like the Linux scene has sorted it out yet: https://github.com/jimdigriz/debian-mssp4

• 2 weeks later...

check this new docking station out.  it has a 256gb ssd inside it.  I bought one and tested it out.  works fast when installing os x 10.11.2 on the SSD

and since I need a usb Bluetooth and wifi connections.  getting the dock was needed anyway for the usb ports

http://etauro.com/etauro_dp/en/productdisplay/ducge4s-256-ac-adapter-included

it will also be available on amazon on Jan 29th

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A80Z4SO?m=A2WGPJJFB691RM&ref_=v_sp_widget_detail_page

• 2 weeks later...

can't be! he start's video from when he presses the power button to boot in mac

That doesn't really mean anything given the video editing, but you're right, it's not a virtual machine... It's nothing more than a splashtop remote desktop.  You can see the menu bar icon for it when you look closely.  Also, note the black bars above and below the "desktop", this is because whatever computer he's mirroring has a 1080p or similar ratio screen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There probably won't be any progress until we see an update that includes some completed SkyLake integrated graphics drivers. Hopefully the next round of macbook's will open some doors for us.

I do not have nearly the technical expertise of most of the people on these forums (I am self taught / greatly assisted by everyone on this and other forums), but want to see this project succeed as a fully functioning SP4 would be the ultimate hackintosh in my mind, I apologize in advance if my suggestions are technically or otherwise incorrect, but would like to contribute if possible.

My most recent build is an early 2015 Dell XPS 13 (9343) with QHD+ 3,200 x 1,800 touchscreen that is fully functioning except for the camera (no know fix for cameras that do not display serial numbers) and the SD card reader. I recognize that the XPS 13 has Intel 5500 graphics while the SP4 has Intel 515, 520 or 540 graphics, but am wondering if a similar frame buffer patch I used on the XPS13 would work on theSP4? RehabMan, Austere.J, FireWolf, Darkvoid and countless others helped the entire community get fully functioning graphics with no artifacts via a combination of adjusting the DVMT pre-allocated memory in BIOS and applying a frame buffer patch. After taking these steps it is possible to inject Intel graphics on the XPS 13 and enjoy a touch screen enabled El Capitan in 3,200 x 1,800 resolution. Do you think it is possible that a similar approach might work with the SP4.

long post here.

It seems the real issue is that the SkyLake IGPU frame buffer isn't completed yet. But hey, what do I know, fiddle around with it. You'd certainly be a hero if you discovered a working combination. :-)

I was searching on how would i install linux on surface pro 4, and found some interesting things

There's some work to be done,but among other things, a driver for debian has been posted.

From some things i've read, the bluetooth and the wifi is combo module and work as one, and some drivers where posted so the wifi would work.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/firmware-libertas .

The links are on the right side. (it is free)

The thing is this driver works along with debian jessie kernel. And then this one works either with mac/windows (through virtual machine), or it may work on metal through dual boot

so i thing a lot of work is done in this field.

I thing this might be a little helpful ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Official OS X 10.11.4 supports Intel HD 520 without artefacts. Tested on ASUS UX303UB Intel Core i7-6500U - Intel HD 520. Just update to the official and use the ig-platform-id. For mine it's 0x1916000.

Excellent! Thx for the heads up!!

Proceed with caution guys, 10.11.4 breaks the NVMe driver on the SP4.  It's not very apparent why, at the moment, since there are other machines that are still able to use it on 10.11.4.  You also have to switch to the Aptio2 driver for it to even attempt booting.  Bleh....