Install El Capitan in a vmware workstation 11

sanjuk

6 posts in this topic

Dear experts,

I'm new to the mac world however have been using Mountain Lion in a VM (downloaded online).

Right now, I want to install El Capitan in a VM on Workstation 11.

What I have right now,

Hardware :-

- Dell Vostro 2420 running Win8.1 64 bit.

- Intel core i5 3230M

- 4 GB DDR3 RAM

- Intel B75 express chipset

- Intel HD4000 graphics

- 500 GB WD HDD

Software :-

- Working Mountain Lion VM

- El Capitan dmg/iso file downloaded from Mountain Lion.

- El Capitan Bootable USB created from Mountain Lion

- VMware Workstation 11 / 12.

Could anyone help me on how to install El Capitan on,

- VMware Workstation

- On Dell Vostro 2420 laptop

So far I've tried to search lot many forums, but what is see is that they use the pre-configured vm image in the videos.

While I tried to use ISO image and boot, it shows a STOP/restricted sign. Tried adding setting like smc.version = "0" and disabling sound but to no avail.

Greatly appreciate any help on this...

Thanks.

Dear anonyus

I'd already watched this video, however, they're using the already created vmware image of El Capitan. However, I'm looking forward to vmware install from .dmg file.

Thanks.

Regards

As far as I know, you need to covert the dmg to iso and mount it during start up, Vmware doesn't like dmg.

the iso size will be approx 8.xGB after conversion

Before that you need to patch the Vmware with Unlock all, latest ver was 2.0.7

Otherwise you won't have the the option to create an OSX VM

Hello You can do install  after using Unlocker 2.0.7 on latest virtualbox only :( on VMware You must convert it to .iso and it can still have a problems with booting or even it can have prob with recognizing that there is anything thrown into VM cd drive :( I've tried and had this issue.

Hello You can do install  after using Unlocker 2.0.7 on latest virtualbox only :( on VMware You must convert it to .iso and it can still have a problems with booting or even it can have prob with recognizing that there is anything thrown into VM cd drive :( I've tried and had this issue.

I did the conversion under OSX's terminal with hdiutil and never had any problem on booting.

There are certain coversion programs under windows which is not quite compatiable