ATI X1600Pro vs GeForce7300GT

9 posts in this topic

I currently have a GeForce7300GT and I am thinking of changing over to an ATI X1600Pro to take advantage of full video capabilities.

My question is, if the OpenGL, QE, and CI were all working in OSX86, which card would be better?

Knowing that it could be a while before everything is working on the NVidia cards, it may be a moot point, but I thought I'd ask.

At the risk of starting a flame war...

While I have never owned an X1600Pro (although I have one coming in the mail for exactly the reasons you mention) everything I have read indicates that the 7300GT is a better card at least in so far as raw gaming performance is concerned. However, this is a topic on which many people have strong biases -- I mean opinions. :D

At the risk of starting a flame war...

While I have never owned an X1600Pro (although I have one coming in the mail for exactly the reasons you mention) everything I have read indicates that the 7300GT is a better card at least in so far as raw gaming performance is concerned. However, this is a topic on which many people have strong biases -- I mean opinions. :2cents:

The specs for all chipsets are here:

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

As you can see the 7300 is slower, has fewer pixel shaders and fewer vertex shaders. I'd be surprised if it was faster then the X1600pro all other things being equal.

Actually, they'd need the 7800 to meet the X1600's Ring Bus Controller. Nvidia's new G80's prove a point that I made a long time ago. Nvidia thinks line Intel. Larger numbers, no real bus changes. ATI, now owned by AMD, has been thinking Bus-Bus-Bus-Numbers. I'll stay by ATI until I see an Nvidia card that outperforms OOTB to the ATI card that matches the specs.

Actually, they'd need the 7800 to meet the X1600's Ring Bus Controller. Nvidia's new G80's prove a point that I made a long time ago. Nvidia thinks line Intel. Larger numbers, no real bus changes. ATI, now owned by AMD, has been thinking Bus-Bus-Bus-Numbers. I'll stay by ATI until I see an Nvidia card that outperforms OOTB to the ATI card that matches the specs.

who cares about theoretical numbers... click on the link in my previous post, in the real world the 7600 completely out performs the 1600. And that's coming from a 1600 owner... Truth is however, it's case of which card sucks less as they are both kinda pathetic.

For me , I am a budget user and I got myself the 7300GT. Its swinging high and low. I hate ATi because of their crappy OpenGL support [not to mention that X300 series was a miserable failure]. But again if you're going to use it for your hackintosh , go with X1600 , otherwise choose 7300GT GDDR3 . Thats why I swapped back my 7300GT with my X300SE , because of Core Image and Quartz Extreme. Once Macvidia drivers are mature enough , I will use back my 7300GT !