El Capitan and Disk Utility : how to show hidden partitions like in Yosemite ?

MilesTEG1

12 posts in this topic

Hello,

As I successfully installed El Capitan GM on an harde drive, I want to mount multiple EFI partition without getting an error with the CloverConfigurator EFI Mounter.

under Yosemite, I managed to do that in showing the Debug Menu for the Disk Utility, and the hit the "Show Every Partition" in this debug Menu.

But with El Capitan, it doesn't work anymore.

So, did someone managed to show the hidden partition with El Capitan ?

Thanks

Miles

Hello,

As I successfully installed El Capitan GM on an harde drive, I want to mount multiple EFI partition without getting an error with the CloverConfigurator EFI Mounter.

under Yosemite, I managed to do that in showing the Debug Menu for the Disk Utility, and the hit the "Show Every Partition" in this debug Menu.

But with El Capitan, it doesn't work anymore.

So, did someone managed to show the hidden partition with El Capitan ?

Thanks

Miles

Not working  Debug Menu 

On El Capo

you need to Mount EFI  manually with terminal or Clover prefpane

If your HD is disk0 you can using the app attaching bellow

• Like 2

Ok Thanks Chris !

Sadly, my EFI isn't always on the disk0.

Could it be possible to create a script allowing in the right clic on a Volume to mount the EFI partition associated ?

Example : 

SSD-OSX is disk1s2, with EFI on disk1s1

And when my usb stick is connected, 

USB is disk6s2, with EFI on disk6s1

A right clic on SSD-OSX show a menu with various entries.
Is it possible to add an entries there like "Mount associated EFI" to mount the EFI ?

It should check if an EFI is already mounted (like /Volumes/EFI)... and mount it anyway but in this location /Volumes/EFI1/, like DiskUtility in Yosemite did.

• 2 weeks later...

I just use the terminal for it, show the partitions

diskutil list

and then

diskutil mount /dev/disk0s1

To mount the partition.  You don't need to use sudo and it will handle multiple EFI partitions and given them all an entry in /Volumes

• Like 1

attachicon.gifmountEFI.command.zip

A little script that does the following.

If an EFI partition is in /Volumes it will eject it, then mounts EFI partition of Booted disk.

Sometimes the Booted disk is not disk0 in a multi HDD setup.

Note also that EFI is not always the first partition.

To find EFI, you have to look it up by its well-known partition GUID.

See here for a more accurate script: https://github.com/RehabMan/Lenovo-U430-Touch-DSDT-Patch/blob/master/mount_efi.sh

Note: It still doesn't cover the case you're booting UEFI to a disk different from your system volume (eg. BIOS boots UEFI to disk0, but Clover then loads a OS X system off disk1). Determining the actual booted EFI would probably require parsing the Clover bootlog.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a method top patch the old disk utility to run on El Capitan.  Maybe we can get the debug menu working on it instead.

https://justus.berlin/2015/10/restore-old-disk-utility-in-os-x-el-capitan/

Indeed you can :).

The patched DU from Yosemite 10.10.5 works well in El Capitan:  the debug menu can still be enabled with the terminal command

defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1

The hidden partitions are shown after selecting "Show every partition" and the EFI partition can be mounted/unmounted by right clicking...

post-846696-0-83191400-1445331371_thumb.png

Note:  Verify/Repair Permissions are greyed out.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Not working  Debug Menu 

On El Capo

you need to Mount EFI  manually with terminal or Clover prefpane

If your HD is disk0 you can using the app attaching bellow

If you look inside the Contents/SharedSupport of this download injectDiskUtility.zip  you will find a Disk Utility.app that shows debug menu to mount EFI partitions that works on El Capitan.

It also works on MacOS Sierra use this if you like (experimental) Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra.zip 

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/21/2016 at 1:05 AM, dimosgmx said:

If you look inside the Contents/SharedSupport of this download injectDiskUtility.zip  you will find a Disk Utility.app that shows debug menu to mount EFI partitions that works on El Capitan.

It also works on MacOS Sierra use this if you like (experimental) Disk Utility v13 for macOS Sierra.zip 

Thanks.

Thanks, but is there a version for High Sierra, too, because this one does not work in 10.13.5.