Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21M - QE/CI

PippoX0

70 posts in this topic

Hi,

By direct trials and experience i have successfully installed on Sony Vaio with no iusses:

Osx Lion

Osx MLion

Osx Mavericks

Osx Yosemite

And also

Tiger , Leopard and Snow Leopard.

My trials to install Osx El capitan were unsuccesfull in the past

Now i will retry , but by now i also get "still waiting for root device"

It seems something is changed in USB management, so it prevents to boot from USB device. (i.e. Sierra and El capitan )

My external HD boots fine with Enoch 2725 or 2839 from Tiger to Yosemite , but not 10.11

I cannot run Sierra because i haven't yet changed my CPU.

If you have an external hd , you may try this:

1) Clone a working Sierra installed OS from another pc with Carbon Copy Cloner.

2) boot from Osx Mavericks or similiar

3) copy Sierra on internal SSD.

4) try to boot it with a bootable USB

If works, then you can install bootloader on SSD and make some post installation fix as Qe/ci , etc.

This is an unconventional way to install MacOS, but you can try ...

Tips : you have to delete all related to the different Pc from the Sierra copied on SSD.

I.e. DSDT.aml, smbios.plist

And add the ones related to Sony.

• Like 1

Hey, thanks for your answer! I'm still trying different ways to get the USB to boot Clover but it seems like it's not a good bootloader for our legacy BIOS...

BTW could you please share the exact files you're using (I mean kexts, which smbios and dsdt.aml) with all those OSX installations for the VAIO? Thanks, I may try to install Lion 10.7.5 as per the first post here so maybe I can have a 99% chance to get a working Mac OS.

EDIT: now back to use Enoch 2848 which kinda lets me boot for a while, I think I know why it doesn't complete and hangs! Because I've changed the Intel processor to the T9300 and the DSDT.aml from this thread is compiled for the Intel T7250 (oh, it's yours)!! That's why! How can I make that change? I'm using a Mac so I could do it hopefully..

EDIT2: I'm using MaciASL app on the Mac and I have the VAIO dsdt.aml along with the Dell dsdt.aml which has the T9300. Anyone knows the exact code's location to copy/paste?  :rolleyes:

EDIT3: It seems like the same code for both... The processor' section should be just "Scope (_PR)" but into the VAIO's dsdt there's also that "Method (RPPC, 0, NotSerialized)" function which I don't know how it works.

Could the SSD or the different RAM be the issue here?!? By the way this is what I'm getting, it stops at IOAPIC

EDIT4: As RehabMan points out in another forum, "If you're to use a patched DSDT, patch your own. A delay/hang at IOAPIC is generally caused by using a patched DSDT that doesn't correspond to your native DSDT."

post-290784-0-03799600-1487694698_thumb.jpg

Hi,
To get your original dsdt, you can create/ use an Bootable Clover USB pen.
Press F4 and get saved your dsdt.
To patch it, you need only to insert GPU patch to get Qe/Ci

Btw on install process you can use no dsdt
I use imac12,1 smbios.plist , fakesmc.kext and nullCPUpower only.

If you use trackpad kext you don't need an USB keyboard and mouse.

Tips: on first boot nv_disable=1 , let you use internal LCD.

• Like 1

@Iperzampem0, SMBIOS of MBP4,1 is indeed closer in terms of specs but incompatible with Sierra. In addition, MBP4,1 SMBIOS does not support vanilla CPU SpeedStep. That's why you should use MBP7,1's. That'll work perfectly with the FakeSMC of the D630 pack (the kext was tuned with SMC keys of MBP7,1) and will be fully compatible with Sierra.

Hello, thanks for answering. I've already tried that combination but maybe there was something wrong with other kexts. I will try again and report later.

Hi Iperzampem0,

here is your DSDT.aml compiled for T9300.

attachicon.gifDSDT.aml.zip

Thanks a lot! In the meantime, yesterday, I had also another idea, which was to install back into the VAIO the old and original Hynix 2gb of RAM (1x1) and test the whole thing with your DSDT posted in the first page, and it was probably a little step forward to have a successful boot, BUT I still have this "error" while booting (see the image) even now that I have installed back again my Corsair 4gb of RAM (2x2) and the new DSDT provided by you.

So I really don't know what else to do.. It seems like it's a USB power issue because of some new Sierra instructions and/or a DSDT not fully patched for this.

Any other solutions guys?  :lol:

EDIT: I have even tried to patch my USBs following this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/

post-290784-0-82281500-1487771586_thumb.jpg

Rename all EHCx instances in the DSDT to EH0x and then use Rehabman's USBInjectAll kext.

The DSDT above from pippox0 has 2 errors while compiling and I don't know how to fix those, hence I can't edit the DSDT...

EDIT: WAIT, I've successfully modified the Length in Hexadecimal and compiled it correctly!  :w00t:  :thumbsup_anim:

EDIT2: Ok, same bad thing happens while trying to boot from that damn USB... Are you sure I just need to change EHCx to EH0x into the DSDT, add the USBInjectAll.kext, and nothing else?

No idea, post a zipped copy of your EFI/Clover folder, the we'll see...

NB: Never had to recompile a DSDT after changing CPU on any of my laptops, including when changing from Merom T7500 to Penny T9300 on my GM965/C2D Dell Latitude D630...

Yea ok, but probably you have to recompile it if you change the RAM from 2gb to 4gb and the manufacturer is different, no?

Anyway, here's the /Extra folder into which I have all the necessary things. I have used the latest Enoch 2848 bootloader because Clover won't let me boot in any way (I just see a blinking cursor every time). Just now I have changed the USBInjectAll.kext with a "less intrusive" alternative, the USB_Injector.kext that was used for the Sierra installation on the Dell. I will try to boot again in a few minutes with this slightly updated config.

EDIT: OMG I had my first longer boot process!!!  :w00t:  :drool:  :thumbsup_anim: unfortunately though I have had a kernel panic regarding NVDAStartup (if I see it correctly), but if I'm not wrong I was reading about something to add while booting if I had this. Right now I'm booting with "-v nv_disable=1 -f".

Extra.zip

• Like 1

This is what I'm getting if I boot with "-v -f -x nv_disable=1 GraphicsEnabler=No". Yea, I know that GraphicsEnabler is not necessary (right?) if I'm using nv_disable=1 and given the fact that I didn't use it into the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. Furthermore I have used -x only to see if the error was the same, and it basically is. Any ideas? I think this is the last obstacle to see the installation screen..  :rolleyes:

post-290784-0-05048700-1487794440_thumb.jpg

:hysterical: No!

I would not recommend you use the USB injector kext of my Dell since that was specifically manually prepared for that system. Check your IOReg before you use that as you'll probably need to adjust it for ports under each controller...

You should boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes if you hope to have your nVidia GPU detected and supported...

Boot with KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Amazing!!! It actually booted and I'm installing Sierra!!  :drool:  :thumbsup_anim:  :hysterical:

Thanks a lot Hervé, what about after installation?

N.B. It's worth noting that my SSD was completely erased before this process and formatted in HFS+ using GParted Live (MBR, not GPT).

• Like 1

After installation, make sure to:

1. copy the Extra folder from your USB installer to your OS X installation.
  2. copy your add-on kexts to /L/E, to repair permissions and rebuild your cache. that way, you won't need KernelBooter_kexts=Yes (nor -f of course). 

If you play/experience with kexts, always do so in /L/E but always leave /E/E untouched (or only add kexts there once tested and proven). This way, you can always recover by booting with KernelBooter_kexts=Yes -f which injects kexts from /E/E but ignores /L/E.

Thank You, I have seen that I need to boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes and the bad thing is that I don't have neither the keyboard nor the trackpkad working and I just have an external mouse.

Can I inject the proper kexts while booting or do I need to re-do the install process?

EDIT: LOL if I say to you guys the crazy thing I did you'll laugh a lot  :thumbsup_anim:

I've installed the app Typeeto on the MacBook Air I'm actually typing from (and making all the stuff) which let me share the keyboard of my Mac via Bluetooth and BT is one of the few things working natively on the VAIO  :D Practically I was able to finish the first setup! Just wow!

EDIT2: I still have to copy kexts/folders because I'm trying to see what works and not. Basically the good thing is that the Nvidia 8400M GT is fully recognised and working, also the Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.5Ghz and the 4gb of RAM, along with the Bluetooth and all of the other USB ports and the CD/DVD/BD reader/writer.

The other things like *mostly* the keyboard, ALPS touchpad, Sigmatel or IDT audio, Ricoh webcam, etc. are not working.

Hello again, I have to report a few more developments.

--> I've installed Enoch 2848 into the internal SSD so I got rid of the external USB boot;

--> I've copied all the necessary kexts into /Library/Extensions and rebuilt the cache (so now /Extra/Extensions is empty and KernelBooter_kexts=No);

--> Now all these things are working: Audio, Keyboard, Touchpad (just the mouse pointer works, without the single tap to click and scrolling).

So what, now?

--> Even though the Nvidia 8400M GT is fully recognised I think that QE/CI is not enabled at all and also the Monitor tab inside the Settings is not accessible (and is registered as a 14,9" monitor instead of 15,6"); but above all I can't change the screen brightness neither from settings nor from the keyboard shortcuts (where just the audio disabling works).

--> When booting, I always get this message from the bootloader after having chosen the disk:

header read size 200

Incorrect image signature, expected version 10.7

What should I do? If I just press enter or any other key on the keyboard, it boots correctly.

--> From "About this Mac" I have seen that the Samsung 830 SSD is correctly recognised but TRIM is disabled;

--> Ethernet, Ricoh webcam, SD/MemoryStick reader,  are still not working. Not to mention the Intel WiFi 4965agn which will probably never work.

--> The bluetooth seems to work fine but I can't disable it from Settings (if I want to disable it, I just have to use the manual switch).

I'm really open to further suggestions from all of you to further improve this awesome setup.  B)

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: I've also seen that the audio doesn't change automatically if, for example, I plug in the headphones. Always need to change the output source from the audio menu and/or from the Settings. Not a big deal, just reporting. I'm using the two kexts AppleHDADisabler and VoodooHDA.

Also I can't use the volume and play/pause buttons on the Apple headphones.

post-290784-0-62740800-1487847864_thumb.png

post-290784-0-14121700-1487847874_thumb.png

post-290784-0-26535200-1487847882_thumb.png

post-290784-0-22821500-1487847896_thumb.png

post-290784-0-38552400-1487847907_thumb.png

post-290784-0-99704000-1487847914_thumb.png

Hi,

The info of 14,9" monitor instead of 15,6" ,may be related to the smbios.plist you have used .... try another one

To verify if QE/Ci is enabled use VideoHardwareInfo

VideoHardwareInfo.zip

Yukon2.kext must have the right id in info.plist

Find it with DPCIManager

https://sourceforge.net/projects/dpcimanager/

To enable TRIM

run terminal and insert "sudo trimforce enable"

for SD/memory Stick reader

Try this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312536-voodoosdhc-sd-card-reader-for-el-capitan/

One Question:

Which is your Bios version ??

Seee Ya

Thanks to both of you for the answers.

I was trying to get some WiFi USBs to work but I just wasted time because I have 2 old dongles and the drivers aren't compatible. Fortunately I've done all the things correctly and removed all the unnecessary stuff to let me continue with the progress here.

Regarding the GPU, it's all enabled!  :yes: But how can I add PNLF to DSDT, I mean do you have some suggestions or a simple guide?

I can confirm that the error message while booting disappears after having used those terminal commands, thanks!

I've also enabled TRIM. I'm not so sure to try that Voodoo kext for SD card reader because of the "bad" reports from other users on El Capitan.

The Bluetooth device is a BCM2046. The BIOS version is the stock R1120J7 where in reality I had enabled VT-x (now disabled), AHCI, DEP (data execution prevention).

N.B. I've also experienced a completely messed screen (like with big squares green and red) after waking up from sleep. I was expecting a bad behaviour though...

Well... the Sony has a "MemoryStick Duo + SD card" reader which is "internal" so it's not bluetooth --> it's a Texas Instruments (Vendor 104C, Device 803B).

BTW here's the zip, thank you again for your help.

Files.zip

Hi,

For Ethernet card, you can insert this info.plist  in Yukon2.Kext inside IONetworkFamily.kext.

Copy from /L/E to desktop, Patch it and Install back to /L/E with kext utility

This is for Marvell Yukon Ethernet card 88e8055

attachicon.gifInfo.zip

Thank you! I'm gonna try it, but don't we have the Marvell Yukon 88E8036 instead?

What about the webcam?

Thank you! I'm gonna try it, but don't we have the Marvell Yukon 88E8036 instead?

What about the webcam?

Yeah, you are right.

I re-upload the right info; look back to my prior post

For WebCam : It works under Windows10 ?

If Qe/Ci is enabled it should  work ...

Try this for built-in LCD as a proper laptop (backlight) display.

attachicon.gifDSDT_HD.aml.zip

Do I just need to replace the old one into /Extra folder?

Looking at it with MaciASL with iAsl 5.1, I can see there're at least 75 errors  :rofl: will it work fine?

EDIT: sorry, it was set to iAsl 4.1....... LOL switching to 5.1 gives no errors as it should be. Thanks!

@pippox0 : Yes, I've seen, thanks! I'm about to try both the new DSDT and the Yukon patch. Yes, it was working in Windows 10, but right now I have only MacOS installed!

Try this for built-in LCD as a proper laptop (backlight) display.

attachicon.gifDSDT_HD.aml.zip

Webcam is natively detected and reported as USB UVC VideoCamera in SysProfiler (dev/ven=0x05ca/0x183b, i.e. 1482/6203 in decimal). Basically, it's the Ricoh device reported in USB section of the SysProfiler. In IOReg, it's visible under port #2 or USB2.0 controller EH02. Since it's a USB-internal device, there are no patches and probably no kexts that can help get the camera working if it ain't working already. I'm afraid it's either supported OOB or not at all... Once you have your LAN/Ethernet port working as en0 interface (or a fake Ethernet as en0), you'll be able to verify webcam behaviour with FaceTime.

LAN/Ethernet port is indeed Marvell Yukon GigaEthernet 88E8036 model. Shown in IOReg as device PXSX under parent device RP05 @1c,4 (i.e. at address 0x001C0004). You can easily rename that PXSX device as "GLAN" in your DSDT".

Same for the wireless card (Intel 4965AG/AGN at the moment) which is registered as device PXSX under parent device @1C,2 (i.e. at address 0x001C0002). You could also rename that PXSX device to "ARPT" in the DSDT.

Mmm ok, with the new DSDT there's an actual MacBook Pro represented in the Monitor section, but I still can't access the Monitor panel inside the Settings which is weird... Really there's no way to adjust the screen brightness, even with Terminal (like in Linux if I remember correctly)?? I'm very "light-sensitive" and I couldn't stay in front of 100% light source for more than a few minutes  B)

Other than that, I've manually changed the .plist file inside the Yukon2.kext but if I make the changes you're saying also to the DSDT will it work anyway? And is there a remote chance to have also the Intel 4965agn to work!?

EDIT: it seems like I still have no Ethernet according to SystemInfo. I'm about to make those DSDT changes.

EDIT2: after changing 5 "PXSX" to "GLAN" the compiler says that I have 4 "syntax error, unexpected PARSEOP_INTEGER" (code 6126). I'm trying to figure out what to change.

Ethernet now successfully appears into SystemInfo!  :thumbsup_anim:

Webcam still shows a black screen both on PhotoBooth and FaceTime, even though as you said it seems to be recognised..

I need to say other two things:

1) after the new DSDT, I have a 0% battery reporting which is wrong cos it should be 100%.

2) should we try to implement this ACPI Backlight https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-ACPI-Backlight to have screen brightness working?

I would really like to know how you have saved those 2 new DSDTs with those 4 errors (6126)  :rolleyes:  :hysterical:

Another thing though, even if I can see that QE/CI and all the other things are supported, the overall graphics acceleration is extremely slow. I've tried for example to open the Chess game and it's lagging! Not to mention that every time you make a move the pc makes a "buzz" (sort of)..  :(

NEW: I apologize for before. Anyway this is what I'm getting after the WiFi patch, seems interesting but there's no driver.

Aaaand I don't see anything new for the SD card reader after testing DSDT_HD3.

post-290784-0-11009600-1487889115_thumb.png

Ok, nice to know! I did remember however of the non-Intel WiFi support on OSX, but yea defining the Full-size Mini PCIe card into DSDT makes sense  ^_^

I have tried the VoodooSDHC kext from a thread here stating that it was compatible with El Capitan, but even if I have changed the values the pc doesn't recognise the SD reader...

Anyway I don't have already a working sleep/wake function. I mean that the Vaio can go to sleep (not closing the lid though) but waking it makes the screen completely messed up with pixels to say the best. So, right now:

--> Sleep works BUT after wake the screen is completely dead and the system becomes unresponsive, forcing a shutdown.

--> SD card reader is still not working even with the patched VoodooSDHC. I'm looking into it.

--> Bluetooth works BUT not 100% because for example it can't connect to the internet shared from another device (with all the prerequisites) and it can't be stopped.

--> The battery percentage reports 0% after the new DSDTs with the monitor defined.

--> Still it's impossible to access the Monitor panel into Settings and display brightness is still a "who knows!?"

So yea, it's kinda working but I was expecting to have at least a useable machine with display/graphics fully working along with the integrated BT at least for now.

Hi iperzampem0,

--> Bluetooth starts/stops  only with fthe real switch

--> Battery percentage % -> revert back to the first DSDT

--> Monitor panel -> very strange  on my vaio ( up Yosemite ) it works

@ Hervé -> Thanks a lot for yours efforts to help us with this notebook.

• Like 1

Hi iperzampem0,

--> Bluetooth starts/stops  only with fthe real switch

--> Battery percentage % -> revert back to the first DSDT

--> Monitor panel -> very strange  on my vaio ( up Yosemite ) it works

@ Hervé -> Thanks a lot for yours efforts to help us with this notebook.

Me too I can only say thank you to both of you, given that you're trying very hard to give me (and maybe others) a chance to have a working MacOS on a non-Apple machine.

@pippox0 : would you please say briefly which kexts, bootloader, smbios you have used for Yosemite? And the things not working there are just the wifi and the SD card reader? Thanks.

• Like 1