X11?

5 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

X11 is a graphical system that was designed long ago to run on Unix-like systems and more. It is portable and you can run it on just about any OS that runs computers powerful enough to run it and that someone has bothered to make it work on. This way, you can have the same programs use the same graphical system on different operating systems. This is good for OS X users, because free apps have usually been made for Linux and other Unix-like environments before someone decided to run it on OS X... and with X11 there, there are less changes that have to be made just to get something running (unfortunately, it's not so easy to just do that for Windows apps, hence the need for WINE, Parallels, etc.).

P.S., NeoOffice stinks at the speed game, just use Abiword if all you need is a free word processor.

• 1 month later...

Are programs which require x11 to run slower than programs which don’t? I'm talking about comparing basic similar programs here.

Basically I’m a Windows user and have been all my life. I've got OSX installed dual booting windows but I just tend to use windows. I intend to get a MacBook soon but I don't know if I’m fully comfortable with OSX. So to force myself to use it I got my sisters an old G3. Although it's for my sisters I use it every now and again (more than I use OSX on my pc). Anyway because it's a G3 i need programs that are faster at running and lite.

So that's the basic (long) story.