Intel HD 5500 Graphics

3200x1800 Display

256 GB SSD

Dell DW1560 (BCM4352) Wireless with builtin bluetooth
Dell Precision Trackpad

Touchscreen (HID device)

6 Cell battery (?)

What's working:

Everything mentioned above aside from some quirks.

What's not working:

Screen freezes after 5ish minutes of usage. It varies from reboot to reboot. Looks like it's graphics-related because if I wait to reboot the system, the graphics get garbled after the freeze.

​Brightness keys. I'm using rehabman's voodoops2controller kext and it works well but the brightness keys are not working yet because I have yet to figure out how to apply it. It seems like it's similar to how it works on Haswell HP Envy's where it uses 1 method for both keys but the patch doesn't work even after changing the method name to _Q66 and it still results in an error.

• Like 1

​Brightness keys. I'm using rehabman's voodoops2controller kext and it works well but the brightness keys are not working yet because I have yet to figure out how to apply it. It seems like it's similar to how it works on Haswell HP Envy's where it uses 1 method for both keys but the patch doesn't work even after changing the method name to _Q66 and it still results in an error.

You might be interested in this discussion (it was also a Dell _Q66)...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/292800-dsdt-debuggingtracing-to-systemlog/?do=findComment&comment=2131681

What's working:

Everything mentioned above aside from some quirks.

What's not working:

Screen freezes after 5ish minutes of usage. It varies from reboot to reboot. Looks like it's graphics-related because if I wait to reboot the system, the graphics get garbled after the freeze.

Can you post a step-by-step guide? Maybe not quite as long as the M&Ms story, but something to get "the rest of us" to where you are?

Do you think the graphics issues/crashes are related to the QHD+ Touch display and won't be present on the regular 1920 x 1080 non-touch display?

Can you post a step-by-step guide? Maybe not quite as long as the M&Ms story, but something to get "the rest of us" to where you are?

Do you think the graphics issues/crashes are related to the QHD+ Touch display and won't be present on the regular 1920 x 1080 non-touch display?

I'll update with a tutorial when I work out native audio and the brightness keys. This morning I tried a different faksmc kext and it fixed the gpu crashes somehow. The QHD+ display is probably not the issue, I'm 95 percent certain it was the gpu causing these issues. I could post the kernel extensions I'm currently using. The only DSDT patches I've needed are miscellaneous error fixes and adding the device PNLF for a brightness slider. Eventually I will patch for audio too but I've never done a patch for Realtek audio chipsets before.

I just bought the exact same laptop at the top of the thread, with the sole exception being it has a 128GB hard drive (I plan to upgrade it to a 512GB). Can you please let me know what method you used to get it working? Are you booting from a USB stick or from the internal SSD? Is the touch screen function working?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got the XPS13 with I7-5600U, I don't even read single user mode.

Problem is maybe that I'm booting via EFI, however I always get stuck with 'still waiting for root device'.

After booting the same system on my old laptop I saw the difference: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement does not show up.

That explains why event booting from USB ends up with the same error.

A config file would be great, or event an EFI folder.

Thx in advance

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

neither brightness keys or native audio work yet. But, I will update my original post with some links to things required for this laptop to function. I've also been working on El Capitan on this thing as it improves the graphics performance due to metal.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if I'm allowed to mention this, but I did manage to get OS X Yosemite running with the help of the guys at tonymacx86. All the information is readily available there, should you want to run OS X. It's not a clear cut tutorial, but it is very simple. Brightness keys don't work, but audio works fine.

• 1 month later...

To those interested I have dumped the A05 firmware and decompiled it to dsl files. Once the compile bugs are worked out the existing patches for fixing brightness controls on our chipset platform by Rehabman should then work. We're not doing anything that hasn't been done a thousand times over, so I am surprised that no one has clearly fixed this and uploaded the proper DSDT files for others to use. (Granted if other parts of your config differs, kext or boot flag wise then the DSDT may behave in unexpected ways, but that's part of it.)

https://github.com/rbreaves/XPS-13-9343-DSDT

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Edited by fantomas1
Hi, please don’t post direct link to tonymacx86 site! Cordially

To those interested I have dumped the A05 firmware and decompiled it to dsl files. Once the compile bugs are worked out the existing patches for fixing brightness controls on our chipset platform by Rehabman should then work. We're not doing anything that hasn't been done a thousand times over, so I am surprised that no one has clearly fixed this and uploaded the proper DSDT files for others to use. (Granted if other parts of your config differs, kext or boot flag wise then the DSDT may behave in unexpected ways, but that's part of it.)

https://github.com/rbreaves/XPS-13-9343-DSDT

https://github.com/RehabMan/Laptop-DSDT-Patch

Patched DSDT cannot be "used by others". Native ACPI files are specific to machine configuration (hardware, BIOS version, BIOS options, etc.).

Focus more on determining the procedures to go from native ACPI to patched ACPI instead of the final result (patched files).

Ah, guess it'd make sense that turning off a feature in the BIOS from on to off would have an effect. Still at least people can compare the original and final DSDTs for differences, but yea I need to definitely up a patch file version. I will probably just create a separate repo for Maciasl to pull in patches that are specific to the 9343.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, I'm alive. But, more to the point. I got a fresh install of 10.11.2 going on my xps and it's running well. The only things that don't work still are the webcam and the touchscreen. Both seem to be connected via usb and they used to work in Yosemite via GenericUSBXHCI.kext but of course that doesn't work anymore. Any ideas on the webcam and touchscreen?

Side note: The brightness keys work if you add PNLF.

So, I'm alive. But, more to the point. I got a fresh install of 10.11.2 going on my xps and it's running well. The only things that don't work still are the webcam and the touchscreen. Both seem to be connected via usb and they used to work in Yosemite via GenericUSBXHCI.kext but of course that doesn't work anymore. Any ideas on the webcam and touchscreen?

Side note: The brightness keys work if you add PNLF.

Have you gone through and created a DSDT for your machine yet? I didn't have this functionality until I did so. Everything is working as should except for Media Reader (which is to be expected).

Have you gone through and created a DSDT for your machine yet? I didn't have this functionality until I did so. Everything is working as should except for Media Reader (which is to be expected).

I did, I only fixed errors and added PNLF and DTGP as well as the battery fix for my model in rehabman's repo. This time by brightness keys DON'T work for some reason. They definitely did at one time. Weird.

• 4 months later...

For those trying out Sierra 10.12 with 3200x1800 screen, this is the new patch needed to get the screen working with retina resolutions and injectintel=yes:

sudo perl -i.bak -pe 's|\xB8\x01\x00\x00\x00\xF6\xC1\x01\x0F\x85|\x33\xC0\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\x90\xE9|sg' /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay

sudo codesign -f -s - /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework/Versions/Current/CoreDisplay