Thinking about a Sony Vaio TX

Bluebottle

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone... Umm... I'm new here. Hi.

So, I'm a long time mac user, and my wonderful 12" G4 Powerbook is slowly turning into a brick.

It's time to buy something new... And I love the macbooks, but I'm used to having a really small notebook. I like it small (don't get Freudian on me)... And the macbook although thinner, is just too wide.

So, I'm looking at the Sony Vaio TX (2.8lbs and 11.1" screen. Perfect for travelling) but I can't stand the idea of running windows. It may be the clincher here.

I've been reading this forum, and reading all the wiki's, and I can't seem to find if anyone's tried loading OSX on a Vaio TX.

I wouldn't want to dual boot, i'd use it as my primary OS.

Am I crazy, here?

I'd hate to spend the cash on the thing, but then find out i can't use wireless... or sound.

What's this rumor about Leopard being easier to put on an x86 machine?

TIA.

i would guess, with my experience with proprietary sony hardware, that it would be hard enough to find all the individual drivers for windows (be it xp, 2000, me, vista, whatever) and therefore the chance of there being drivers for osx that work in any way is pretty much negligible. assuming you can get it installed, i would bank that the wireless and/or sound wont work, and quite possibly the video would be screwed up too.

i can speak for Leopard though

I've got a TR and from what I gather, you'll at the very least be SOL for the trackpad. The wireless card (intel pro wireless) also has no driver in os x, and development has stalled on that front, so you'd have to replace it. Processor is supported, and the graphics card should be supported with some fudging (GMA950). That's a few steps up from where I'm at with mine. Of course things like the fingerprint reader, WAN, and other flashy {censored} won't be supported. Be careful on the audio as well.

Sorry to dash any hopes, but be realistic when it comes to throwing down that much cash. I just bought this TR, it's 3 years old, and was a reasonable price on ebay. Maybe wait until Macworld to see if any nifty ultraportable macs come out.

What I've found is that the 10.4.1 "distro" supports all hardware, but few 3rd party apps run on it. 10.4.5->10.4.x runs all apps, but less and less harware seems to be supported. I am gonna try 10.4.3 soon to see if apps are any better supported, but I don't hold high hopes since the 10.4.4 kernel was the first to ship with the intel macs, universal ready. I'll post my experiences once I try it out.

Have installed OSX86 JaS 10.4.7 (updated to 10.4.8) on a TX37 about 2 weeks ago and on a TX36 last night.

Sound and wireless don't work as expected. Sleep also doesn't work but display sleep works perfectly. Proprietary hardware buttons don't work as well.

Everything else is perfect: dvd drive, QE/CI, mirror & extended desktop, LAN, trackpad, battery indicator, bluetooth...

PCMCIA slot and SD/MMC slot not tested.

Dualbooting with XP using Grub.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

eclau

I'm running OSX 10.4.6 on a TX1 (1st European version). Wifi won't work and you can't change it as it's built into the motherboard. GFX works fine, although 1366x768 needs SwitchResX to create the resolution setting. Also needs a dongle/external screen on boot (see the various threads for this subject) or it'll crash on Aqua loading. The sound works, but not the sound output. PCMCIA doesn't work at all, lacks a driver so if you want wifi you'll need to go USB2, which I haven't attempted yet. Same for the MemoryStick/SD reader, it's all TexasInstruments stuff so no drivers. DVD burner works, bluetooth does too, and no mouse/keyboard issues apart from the usual hotkey stuff. It basically runs very nicely.

If you're in Europe, the TX3 is the latest model, and it probably runs about the same (the only difference is using a CoreSolo ULV instead of a Pentium M ULV and a GMA950 gfx chipset, as far as I can tell).