? new kernel ?

murcielago585

4 posts in this topic

hopefully my title somehow gets some attention.

I have a question for all. I've been trying to keep up to date with all this excitement about finally patching the 10.4.7 kernel due to its open source release about a month or so ago, or maybe even 10.4.8. What I don't quite understand is what getting the new kernel to work going to do for us. I own an nvidia 7600 GT which for some reason doesn't like to work with macvidia and i've been told there cannot be any real acceleration till at least the 10.4.7 kernel is patched; is this true?

Pretty much what i'm asking is what does the updated kernel do for us hackintosh lovers who don't quite understand the programming architecture behind the OS. From what i see, it's to basicly get past the hardware checking, including efi, and things such as the video card which apple seems to love to do.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times but I have searched and not quite found a straight answer, so please bear with my lack of knowledge towards the subject. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Let me start it off.

For one thing, you will be able to accept a complete update from Apple (including drivers and frameworks). Get all of the mach kernel improvements and bugs from Apple since 10.4.4 kernel. More or less control our destiny since we have source level control.

But then again, Apple can put up more fenses for us to climb over in future.