Conroe Choices with Overclocking and OSX in mind

76 posts in this topic

So I ended up getting a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 and it all seems to work well and lets me overclock the E6400 to 2.61 but does not let me restart properly in either OS or from the button. That is okay because I can always shut down but I am thinking about just getting a new board and RMAing the old one. Are the 975s still expensive and the 965s flaky on the IDEs and SATA HD speeds? I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get the Asus P5W DH Deluxe but I did not realize that the 975XBX was overclockable but Bofors has also got me thinking about a Asus P5LD2 R2. Damn, too many choices. if I could get the overclockability of some of the 965s with the stability of a 975 I think I might go for it then. The thing is I really don't need the other video card slot. I guess what I really want is a great overclocking 945.

Is this the Consair ValueSelect 2 x 1GB DDR2-667 kit?

Exactly which card is this? Do the Badenov method work on it?

No, it's the Corsair 10th Anniversary kit.

Haven't gotten OSX loaded yet, I'm waiting on the 10.4.8 ISO

So I ended up getting a Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 and it all seems to work well and lets me overclock the E6400 to 2.61 but does not let me restart properly in either OS or from the button. That is okay because I can always shut down but I am thinking about just getting a new board and RMAing the old one. Are the 975s still expensive and the 965s flaky on the IDEs and SATA HD speeds? I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get the Asus P5W DH Deluxe but I did not realize that the 975XBX was overclockable but Bofors has also got me thinking about a Asus P5LD2 R2. Damn, too many choices. if I could get the overclockability of some of the 965s with the stability of a 975 I think I might go for it then. The thing is I really don't need the other video card slot. I guess what I really want is a great overclocking 945.

945 boards will not overclock as well as 965/975. period

I think the Asus P5LD2 R2.0 might fit the bill but all I can find is one guy who overclocked his E6400 to a 2.72. Has anyone seen anything else?

Yeha, i had one, still have it, it topped out at 300-350mhz FSB, depending on your definition of stable.

Let me know if you want it

I thought GreenMan said he had ordered an Asus P5LD2 R2.0.

see above

So I uess all the 945s are hitting in the same ballpark then.

Asus P5LD2 R2.0

Asus P5LD2-VM R2.0

Gigabyte GA-945P-S3

If I were new doing this I would pick the Asus P5LD2-VM because it has onboard video and is about the same price.

Asus P5LD2 R2.0

Asus P5LD2-VM R2.0

Gigabyte GA-945P-S3

If I were new doing this I would pick the Asus P5LD2-VM because it has onboard video and is about the same price.

this is what I had - the -VM. Sirry for confusion.

Let´s not forget the cheapo ASrock Conroe945G-DVI and the newish 945 chipset Asus mobos P5L 1394, P5L-VM 1394 with onboard firewire.

Asus P5LD2 R2.0

Asus P5LD2-VM R2.0

Gigabyte GA-945P-S3

It seems like alot of people are having trouble with the ASRock Conroe945G-DVI and I really can't find much information on the two Asus boards other than the LAN is not compatible at all. Do you know something about these?

This 4-4-4-15 v1.9-2.0 OCZ DDR2-800 2 x 1 GB is $209 at Frys/Outpost after $40 rebate (offer ends today): http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5008315;j...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

You have to consider potential compatibility issues, but I think this may be the best deal on the market right now.

This DDR2-667 review at AnandTech also has some models worth considering: http://anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2862

Do [you] think ram is a limiting factor with Conroe/Intel as much as AMD :D

Certainly not, with "good" RAM the overclocking limit (for locked multipliers) is quality of the northbridge on Conroe boards.

Greenman makes this point clear by pointing out the overclocking limits of the 945.

Well, I am sending back that Gigabyte GA-945P-S3 becuse of the restart issues and the fact that it locks up randomly. A friend is getting me an Asus P5LD2-VM R2.0 because they owe me money and I will check that out. Since I don't game much and don't do much with 3D I don't think I really need my Asus EAX1600XT Silent V3 card and will probably just use the onboard.

Here is something you could do for about $500 and would get you a decent machine. From zipzoomfly.com

Intel E6300 1.86GHz $181.90

ASRock Conroe945G-DVI $ 79.99

Corsair 1GB DDR2-667 $103.90

Western Digital SATA 80GB $ 47.90

Pioneer DVR-111D $ 40.49

Case w/PSU $ 45.00

I plan on ordering the Biostar TForce 965PT when I get paid on the 15th. It uses a VIA chipset for the IDE controller instead of the Jmicron, so it should be more compatible.

I have one, it's sweet for overclocking, but they figured out the Jmicron controller. I haven't played with the VIA. everythign els eon the board works great though

The Bad Axe 2 is finally on the virtual shelves (or at least at Tank Guys): http://www.tankguys.biz/intel-d975xbx2-sat...dio-p-1703.html

Note they have the listed the wrong specs. (from the original Bad Axe).

I am very happy with my Bad Axe, so I will be getting a Bad Axe 2 sooner or later. I still am unsure if the E6600 is really worth the extra money or not.