Also no sound after sleep - Yosemite + Clover Realtek ALC 892

Humanate

31 posts in this topic

Hi,

I used Toleda's patch - audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip and sound works fine with Clover/Yosemite 10.10.1, BUT no sound after sleep/wake and would like to fix.

My system is GAZ87-HD3, i5 4570, Asus Geforce GT 640 2048 DDR3

I have been learning Hackintosh for last 18 months and still have a lot to learn. I wanted to try Codec Commander as recommended here Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander but I can't figure out the method.

Anyone who can help me fix I would really appreciate.

You insert the correct value?

You can use in Decimal or Hexadecimal value.

Sorry if being thick, I used Toleda's patch, this one: audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip to enable sound and sound works perfectly apart from when wake after sleep. When you say "insert correct value" where do you mean? In the patch it asks for audio ID in terminal and I entered "1" - is that what you mean?

Allan is talking about the audio layout number, which as you said is "1", but your problem is only after sleep/wake, right? Did you follow Toleda's guide correctly? Are you sure there's no additional injector? Is the realtekALC kext loaded at boot? Could you attach a DarwinDumper report from before and after sleep to see what's different?

• Like 1

@Allan - Thanks for looking at my problem. In systemreport/hardware/audio/Intel High Definition Audio The audio ID is shown as 1. I don't recognise the utility in the right of the two screenshots so can't check. I use Clover configurator and I can view my config.plist in Text Wrangler but I haven't got the utility you show above. - Edit - now have Plistedit Pro which I have checked and the Audio inject string is correct (1)

@Maniac10 - Again thanks for input. I've previously been using MultiBeastThatShallNotBeNamed/Chameleon and fairly new to Clover - steep learning curve for me. I've not got involved with kexts much so far as have not needed to. You are correct problem is only after wake from sleep. I don't think I missed anything when using Tokens script - audio_cloverALC-100.command.zip - mounted EFI, double clicked script, entered audio ID etc, rebooted and sound working. I have posted screenshot of Clover Configurator/Kernel and Kext Patches. Also attached is my config.plist (with MLB/ROM/serial edited  ;) )

I will post Darwin Dumper before and after shortly 

post-1391658-0-22392000-1420056494_thumb.png

config.plist.zip

http://github.com/Dolnor see EAPD Codec Commander repository, pay special attention to README.

Thanks. As per post #1 My reading suggests this as a solution to my problem, but being a relative noob I need a bit of guidance. Can you explain how I use Codec Commander? Readme says to edit "info.plist" but which info.plist am I editing? Is it the info.plist in my patched AppleHDA kext? I apologise for my ignorance on this, I am learning fast over last 18 months but still a long way to go especially since switching to Clover.

@crawfyp1: the plist you uploaded is "broken". Open it with PlistEditPro and you'll see. There might be an illegal character:

list parse error: The data couldn’t be read because it isn’t in the correct format.

JSON parse error: Illegal start of token [<] at index 0).
Would you like to open the raw text of the file instead?

EDIT: ignore this, the problem is due to a missing "<" in the BoardSerialNumber value, most likely a little mistake while deleting your serial before the upload.

@crawfyp1: the plist you uploaded is "broken". Open it with PlistEditPro and you'll see. There might be an illegal character:

list parse error: The data couldn’t be read because it isn’t in the correct format.

JSON parse error: Illegal start of token [<] at index 0).
Would you like to open the raw text of the file instead?

EDIT: ignore this, the problem is due to a missing "<" in the BoardSerialNumber value, most likely a little mistake while deleting your serial before the upload.

I think you're correct. Ive attached another one to the original post (more carefully Edited)

@Maniac10 As requested - Darwin Dumper reports - 2 files: one before sleep/wake with sound working, second after sleep/wake sound not working

Before sleep/wake: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4T4GhkPWO4HTlN1RHRGZ19HNGc/view?usp=sharing

After sleep/wake: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4T4GhkPWO4HNDMwOEZoVE0wNTg/view?usp=sharing

post-1391658-0-60305100-1420113194_thumb.png

You need to download the source files and build them into a kernel extension, which you them have to configure through it's info.plist. This seems like a hard thing on paper, but in reality building takes a single click of a mouse.

Thanks, and Happy New Year. Couple of questions.

1. Do I use Xcode to build kernel extension? (I've never done before - are there any guides?)

2. I've downloaded EAPD Codec Commander from here: https://github.com/Dolnor/EAPD-Codec-Commander and  I have the folder as shown in the attached screenshot. What do I do with its contents? 

3. Once I've configured info.plist as per the readme how do I install the kext /where do I put it?

My experience over last 18 months is with MB/Chameleon and switched to Clover boot loader and Clover Configurator 3 months ago. What I am attempting now is all completely new and although I learn fairly quick for a noob, I still need a bit of "hand holding" and am having trouble finding any guide despite extensive searching. Thanks again for yours and others input and patience. 

1. Yes, you do. Open the project, press Command+B, let it build, then just do this:

cf992f1c41.png

Then expand the Products section on the left side and right click CodecCommander, Show in Finder. Then go back a catalog and you will end up in a folder where two other folders are: Release and Debug.

2. You don't seem to have Xcode installed yet. the project file has to be opened and it will present you with source code of the project

3. You use the kext from Release folder and configure it's plist, then install using KextUtlity/KextWizard/Manually setting permissions, whatever works for you. 

• Like 1

@ TimeWalker75a

I followed your instructions. Opened the project with xCode, hit build, navigated to kext in Release folder, edited with PlistEdit Pro, saved the edited kext and then installed with KextWizard rebooted (nervously) and........

Bingo!

Have performed 3 sleep/wake cycles (sleep for 30 mins or so) and I have sound on wake  :thumbsup_anim: perfect!

Thank you so much for your help, really appreciated.

Glad it helps.

Just for the the record, I'm the author of CodecCommander.. Frankly, I've spent ages figuring out why 892 codec suddenly became so troublesome after 10.9.2 update .. in parallel, having tampered with other audio problems of similar nature on mobile codecs a universal solution has been found.

• Like 3

Glad it helps.

Just for the the record, I'm the author of CodecCommander.. Frankly, I've spent ages figuring out why 892 codec suddenly became so troublesome after 10.9.2 update .. in parallel, having tampered with other audio problems of similar nature on mobile codecs a universal solution has been found.

Excellent work. Tried to get help elsewhere but no replies. Think I'll be spending more time here. BTW my next move if I couldn't follow your help was to try and find Dolnor for advice  :D

• 4 months later...

@ TimeWalker75a - Hi, wonder if you can advise?

Thanks to your excellent help, I posted up a guide over at TonyMac forum and all has been well. A few members have commented recently that since 10.10.3 the info.plist looks quite different after building the kext. Does your method still work with 10.10.3 or is there some other guidance I can pass on over at the other forum? My system is still trouble free, that said I applied your fix before 10.10.3 upgrade. Again, any help is gratefully received.

The kext configuration file did change, but the benefits of using it are still the same. There's a common profile for Intel and Gigabyte desktop boards with 892 codec, so even if you build from source there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Hello,

I build with last Xcode on my MSI Z97S SLI PLUS witch have the 892 codec.

I don't find in the kext created the section where to add the settings in the info.plist.

So I use the kext as it was created. I'm not sure it will work, my hack don't go to sleep since I rebooted. I'll try just before go to work ;)

I don't find in the kext created the section where to add the settings in the info.plist.

So I use the kext as it was created. I'm not sure it will work, my hack don't go to sleep since I rebooted. I'll try just before go to work ;)

What do you mean you don't find the config section in compiled kext? What are you using for plist file editing ?

Default profile should be sufficient to address 892 issues, though it does some unnecessary things to the codec at wake and init, which can be skipped if correct profile is created. 

What do you mean you don't find the config section in compiled kext? What are you using for plist file editing ?

Default profile should be sufficient to address 892 issues, though it does some unnecessary things to the codec at wake and init, which can be skipped if correct profile is created. 

I search this text : HDEF Device Location

in PlistEdit Pro :

b4d17b432ae8b75ea4ce4c2532e5c0855621cba2

I selected the section for ACL892 for my motherboard.
I canot find where to set what said in the "Custom Commands & Commander Client" section of the ReadMe

The command : ioreg | grep EngineOutput give me this :
iHack:~ Pierrick$  ioreg | grep EngineOutput
    | |   |         |   +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,2  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x10000049b, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (0 ms), retain 37>
    | |   |         |   +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,3  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x1000004a7, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 35>
    | |   |         |   +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,4  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x1000004b2, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 35>
    | |   |         |   +-o AppleHDAEngineOutput@1B,0,1,5  <class AppleHDAEngineOutput, id 0x1000004bd, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (1 ms), retain 25>

I use Yosemite 10.10.4 beta 4, but with the 10.10.3 it was the same.

So I just put the kext into /S/L/E/ with KextWizard, rebuild permission & cache. reboot.

But it's not working. I just try to go to sleep mode, and after waking up the computer, no sound, I have to reboot.

The kext configuration file did change, but the benefits of using it are still the same. There's a common profile for Intel and Gigabyte desktop boards with 892 codec, so even if you build from source there shouldn't be much to worry about.

Hi TimeWalker75a

My system is still working well, I'm on a mercy mission to help others.

So I built the kext again on my system with Xcode and opened the release with TextWrangler. Previously when I did this, I would edit the "HDEF Device Location" value as shown here:

post-1391658-0-42514100-1432830445_thumb.png

Now though, I don't see "HDEF Device Location". Do we need to enter this whole block of code? I've attached the info.plist file that I get now so you can see. If we do need to enter the "HDEF Device Location" etc code, it would be good to know exactly which lines of code we need and where in the plist to insert.....

Info.plist.zip