Report : Asus Z97i-Plus + GTX 770 + Yosemite 10.10

aankun.ganteng

21 posts in this topic

Upgrading my build from mavericks --> http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300293-report-asus-z97i-plus-gtx-770-mavericks-1094/

With the following components :

1. Asus Z97i-Plus Motherboard
  2. Intel Core i5-4690
  3. Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II
  4. Corsair 8GB RAM

Install configuration :

1. Using Apple Store installer
  2. Clover bootloader (v2k r3050) check the EFI.zip file below
  3. VoodooHDA (VoodooHDA_V286_MAV.pkg found in on sourceforge)
  4. MacPro 5,1 smbios

what works :

1. The Wi-Fi card + Bluetooth + Ethernet
  2. GTX 770 ( disable the intelHD on the bios )
  3. Sound ( using VoodooHDA, or patch AppleHDA with toleda's script fro ALC892 + intel series9 patch )
  4. Native Power Management, generate using clover
  5. Sleep

Bugs and notes :

1. After wake from sleep, the sound stop working. Reloading the sound kext works most of the time ---> check this : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/303424-report-asus-z97i-plus-gtx-770-yosemite-1010/?do=findComment&comment=2095842
  2. The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext is edited acoording to my need. The AGPM is for Direct CUII GTX770 and the IOPlatformPluginFamily is edited for the i5-4690 + MacPro smbios. So might not work on your system. See update details below.
  3. I use patched AppleHDA for the sound. Still have the same sleep bug. I think it's better than voodoo

Update 27 Dec 2014 :

1. replace OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi with OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi to avoid boot error when using nvidia web driver and/or cuda driver (cuda currently worked with the default driver but not with nvidia web driver)
  2. update with the latest FakeSMC.kext
  3. remove EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and use "install RC scripts on target volume" when installing/upgrade clover so the bootloader using the native NVRAM

Update 9 February 2015 :

1. Update to 10.10.2
  2. Re-patch AppleHDA kext
  3. Change SMBIOS to MacPro6,1, nothing wrong with MacPro5,1 :)
  4. Generate new SSDT using Piker-Alpha's script from here --> https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/ssdtPRGen.sh. I use 3 SSDT files (SSDT.aml, SSDT-1.aml and SSDT-2.aml)
  5. Revert back to the original AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
  6. Revert back to the original IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext an then run Piker-Alpha's script from here --> https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

Update 14 March 2015

1. Turn out the MacPro6,1 make my sleep not working, so back to MacPro5,1 :P
  2. Update the nVidia web driver to 343,02.02f02, I don't remember updating my CUDA Drive but my cuda driver version is 6.5.46

EFI-CLOVERr3079-14-March-2015.zip

I have very similar setup to yours - same mobo, same CPU, similar GFX, unfortunately i found couple of issues.

FixHDA/Fix Sound DSDT in Clover causes ACPI-related kernel panic, not only on your config.plist, but on any configuration with Z97I-Plus mobo. Can someone advise about this?

Computer goes to sleep automatically after few minutes, but there is no option to configure that behaviour in system settings, as computer is identified as iMac not laptop. Is that normal?

Also I've needed to move kexts from 10.10 folder to Other folder to make Clover autoload them - that doesn't work when they are placed in 10.10 folder.

I have very similar setup to yours - same mobo, same CPU, similar GFX, unfortunately i found couple of issues.

FixHDA/Fix Sound DSDT in Clover causes ACPI-related kernel panic, not only on your config.plist, but on any configuration with Z97I-Plus mobo. Can someone advise about this?

Computer goes to sleep automatically after few minutes, but there is no option to configure that behaviour in system settings, as computer is identified as iMac not laptop. Is that normal?

Also I've needed to move kexts from 10.10 folder to Other folder to make Clover autoload them - that doesn't work when they are placed in 10.10 folder.

First for the "FixHDA/Fix Sound DSDT in Clover" problem. You might want to check/compare my config with your config. When I start installing OSX on this mobo, I found out that using unnecesarry DSDT fix will cause errors.

"computer is identified as iMac not laptop" --> chek if on your config file you put an SMBIOS info, if not clover will generate it for you.

I use MacPro as the smbios information.

"Also I've needed to move kexts from 10.10 folder to Other folder to make Clover autoload them - that doesn't work when they are placed in 10.10 folder." --> some kext will not load unless you put "kext-dev-mode=1" on the boot flag

Hey thanks for the report. 

I have the same motherboard with i5 4690S except i have the stock HD4600 until the GTX960 comes out. 

I was wondering how many sates you have with your config speedstep wise? Turbo boost is working and so does idling speed but i think i'm missing steps in between. Checking DPCI manager i have : 02/01/2015 16:01:28, P States: 8, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39

Also you say : "The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext is edited acoording to my need"

How do you do that? 

Thanks!

Hey thanks for the report. 

I have the same motherboard with i5 4690S except i have the stock HD4600 until the GTX960 comes out. 

I was wondering how many sates you have with your config speedstep wise? Turbo boost is working and so does idling speed but i think i'm missing steps in between. Checking DPCI manager i have : 02/01/2015 16:01:28, P States: 8, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39

Also you say : "The AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext and IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext is edited acoording to my need"

How do you do that? 

Thanks!

I hope I can explain this well :P

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext

When you open Info.plist on AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext you will see a list of mac type such as MacPro, Macbook etc. In this case I use MacPro5,1. So I need to put my GPU Vendor and device ID inside the MacPro5,1 list. So for example my GPU is Vendor10deDevice1184 (GTX 770 ASUS DirectCU II) at the screenshot you can see my vendor and device ID, below that is a set of instruction that i copy from Vendor10deDevice119e. 10de119e is GeForce GTX 780M Mac Edition. That is the closest GPU architecture that match my GPU.

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

Inside the PlugIns folder you will find X86PlatformPlugin.kext. Inside the resources folder you will see some plist files. That plist files represent Mac board id. Since I use MacPro SMBIOS and board id, which not available on that folder. I copy one of the plist that have the closest match on processor type. In my case is the iMac15,1 with Haswell processor. Copy the plist and rename it with your current board id on your SMBIOS information.

When using DPCI Manager to check p-states, I also got missing states. Try use Piker's AppleCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2020580). I think DPCI Manager only list the p-state that used at the moment. Some p-state might be change to fast so DPCI Manager can’t capture all of them.

I hope this can help

good luck

my-kext.zip

post-1128849-0-02455400-1420596027_thumb.png

post-1128849-0-11815500-1420596073_thumb.png

Anybody tried this mobo with i3-4350T

Also does WoL (wake on lan) works (from sleep ofcourse, as I believe Mac can not do it from Power Off)

DP outputs 4K resolution 3840x2160 or at least 2560 x 1440?

The mobo spec states (but I am sure they did not test it under OS X):

- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

sebus

thanks for the reply!

still only have 1 state and turbo states.

Did you disable speedstep and turbo mode in uefi bios? 

I hope I can explain this well :P

AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext
When you open Info.plist on AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext you will see a list of mac type such as MacPro, Macbook etc. In this case I use MacPro5,1. So I need to put my GPU Vendor and device ID inside the MacPro5,1 list. So for example my GPU is Vendor10deDevice1184 (GTX 770 ASUS DirectCU II) at the screenshot you can see my vendor and device ID, below that is a set of instruction that i copy from Vendor10deDevice119e. 10de119e is GeForce GTX 780M Mac Edition. That is the closest GPU architecture that match my GPU.

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext
Inside the PlugIns folder you will find X86PlatformPlugin.kext. Inside the resources folder you will see some plist files. That plist files represent Mac board id. Since I use MacPro SMBIOS and board id, which not available on that folder. I copy one of the plist that have the closest match on processor type. In my case is the iMac15,1 with Haswell processor. Copy the plist and rename it with your current board id on your SMBIOS information.

When using DPCI Manager to check p-states, I also got missing states. Try use Piker's AppleCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298027-guide-aio-guides-for-hackintosh/?p=2020580). I think DPCI Manager only list the p-state that used at the moment. Some p-state might be change to fast so DPCI Manager can’t capture all of them.

I hope this can help

good luck

thanks for the reply!

still only have 1 state and turbo states.

Did you disable speedstep and turbo mode in uefi bios? 

Nope, the speedstep and turbo mode are enable on bios.

Have you try intel power to check you CPU speed???

If the power gadget show speed between your lowest state speed (mine is 0.8GHz),

and max-non-turbo speed (mine is 3.5GHz) when idle. It should be fine.

As you can see on my sceenshot.

The first red box is when I do browsing while listening to itunes and also open a bunch of app.

the second box is when I closing all the app, the third is idle and doing nothing.

And the last one is when I open skitch and take screenshot.

So basically my processor work just fine, eventhough the DPCIManager show only 3 states.

I think DPCIManager's p-state checker is already obsolete for Yosemite, maybe.

(the last update on the download page is 2013-08-17)

post-1128849-0-73830700-1421110906_thumb.png

post-1128849-0-57568200-1421111117_thumb.png

Yes i checked Intel Power Gadget and i guess my speedstep is working fine according to the graph. Just bugged me that i only get few steps but i'll leave it at that! 

Thanks again! 

And you're right, this mackintosh setup works very nicely!

Nope, the speedstep and turbo mode are enable on bios.

Have you try intel power to check you CPU speed???

If the power gadget show speed between your lowest state speed (mine is 0.8GHz),

and max-non-turbo speed (mine is 3.5GHz) when idle. It should be fine.

As you can see on my sceenshot.

The first red box is when I do browsing while listening to itunes and also open a bunch of app.

the second box is when I closing all the app, the third is idle and doing nothing.

And the last one is when I open skitch and take screenshot.

So basically my processor work just fine, eventhough the DPCIManager show only 3 states.

I think DPCIManager's p-state checker is already obsolete for Yosemite, maybe.

(the last update on the download page is 2013-08-17)

• 2 weeks later...

Me again :)

I'm struggling a bit with the no sound after sleep problem. 

I've followed the guide to build and installed Codec Commander but unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. 

When you edited the plist did you have to modify anything under ASUS or you juste changed the DEFAULT parameters as per the guide? ( didn't need to modify anything in fact with the Z97i-PLUS ) 

Thanks!

Me again :)

I'm struggling a bit with the no sound after sleep problem. 

I've followed the guide to build and installed Codec Commander but unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. 

When you edited the plist did you have to modify anything under ASUS or you juste changed the DEFAULT parameters as per the guide? ( didn't need to modify anything in fact with the Z97i-PLUS ) 

Thanks!

Here is my Info.plist

I only use default setting, no Asus specific part.

my_plist.zip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Reporting my problem,

With the following components :

1. Asus Z97i-Plus Motherboard
  2. Intel Core i5-4690k
  3. Asus GTX 970 DirectCU II
  4. Corsair 8GB RAM

It's block on booting screen with the last line
"System uptime in nanoseconds:124939591"

Maybe i have done something wrong, First I was abble to boot yosimite after i change efi files I can't.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...