Quadro K5000 doesn't work nvidia driver

bilbo

14 posts in this topic

Hi.

My system (mavericks 10.9.4) , after a fresh installation ran slow, very slow and laggy. After spent hours, days, searching... I found out that problem is related with graphics... Rebooting with -x , system runs fine, not very much, but kind of fine. I discovered that the problem was gforce.kext installed by Mavericks.  If I boot with that kext disabled, no problem. But of course performance is not fine.

nonetheless, mavericks recognize my graphic card right (model, vram... etc)

So I installed webdriver from nvidia website , choosing right Maverick's version. After that... Kernel Panic.

I´ve used diferent clover's flags (nvda_drv=1) graphicsenabler=0 / 1 ... inject Nvidia option ..... kernel panic.

I only can boot again with -x option.

My specs: Graphic Card: Nvidia Quadro K5000 (pc version, non mac) . Mavericks 10.9.4 using clover (last version) in EFI mode. Fresh installation.

I´ve read several guides, but of old MacOs X version or Gfx cards.

What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!!!

mmm.. Could be related to bootloader?  According to what I read, with chameleon is nedded add nvda_drv=1 flag. Clover added it automatically.

( I´ve read on nvidia website that the right version driver for my graphic card only works on 10.9.2.  So I did a fresh install of 10.9.2, and I installed appropiatte driver version. .... and I have KP again. )

Chameleon (last version) installed. I boot with PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x2000 (in my computer is mandatory) . Also I removed nvda_drv=1

Now, with graphicsenabler=Yes or No I can reach the desktop, finally. But with nvidia driver activated (cheked on control panel) everything is slooooooow.

Please, some help. I don't know what can I do.

Try Chameleon, it's better for Nvidia Quadro card

This is horribly wrong and not helpful at all. 

Chameleon (last version) installed. I boot with PCIRootUID=0 and npci=0x2000 (in my computer is mandatory) . Also I removed nvda_drv=1

Now, with graphicsenabler=Yes or No I can reach the desktop, finally. But with nvidia driver activated (cheked on control panel) everything is slooooooow.

Please, some help. I don't know what can I do.

First list the full system specs properly. 

Computer: z820 hp workstation .... (yes I know... :blush: ) Oem motherboard. 2011 socket

Dual Xeon 2630v2 (IvyBridge Xeon EP)

32 gb ram

Nvidia quadro K5000 4Gb (pc version). I´m using dvi and display port outputs to two monitors.

Mavericks 10.9.2. Fresh install

Chameleon bootloader flags: PCIRootUID=1 npci=0x2000  . SMBIOS macpro 6.1   ( If I add graphicsenabler=0 or 1, I can reach desktop. If not, I got a blank screen)

Drivers version: WebDriver-331.01.01f01 --> according with nvidia, it supports 10.9.2 and K5000 (pc version). Later version doesn´t support my card (specifically detailed on nvidia info. ) .

Rampage: I read and followed your nvidia retailer guide. Mavericks and chameleon installation, and basic configuration.

My problem is dsdt injection. I assume first I have to have a clean and fixed dsdt to use it. I mean, at least fixed, not patched (that´s another story). I have my dsdt extracted, with aida, using windows. MaciASL tells me I have 16 errors, 2 warnings... etc. I assume it´s stupid try to inject and use a wrong dsdt. (Because of that, I try to find one simply solution.)

With generical system driver, mavericks seems rcgnize my card, model, vram, resolution, two monitors work... etc. It runs "fine" but I can realize not completly fine. Little laggy, jumping windows...  I´d like to have full performance, cuda acceleration, etc.

what should I to do?

Hi,

I guess this is a known Problem. I had to replace IOPCIFamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext with the ones from 10.9.1

pls see http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,8130.90.html

Hopefully it solves your Problem,

Mike

Aw, yes. This was a issue on the SR-X as well. Issue is with Dual CPU configs. 

thanks Mike!!   I've tried to replace those kexts.... but I have a kernel panic. That's what I did:

-I extract those kexts from essentialsbinaries.pkg 10.9.1 installer with pacifist: They looks like ok. Same size aprox, same contents... well, lets, go

-I installed them with kext utility. permissions fixed, cache rebuilded...

-When I reboot... Kernel Panic. First, system doesn´t found kernel cache ???? so it boots loadind kexts ??? . Then , I can see "IOPCIfamily´kext not found " and finally "system uptime in nanoseconds"

-Trying to fix it, Booting from windows, I deleted them and I recovered original kexts. (I did a backup). I know move kexts from windows is not a good idea but I don't know do it 

-Booting with options to rebuild cache, fixing permisions, etc... Kernel Panic. Another kind of kernel Panic, sure.

Yesterday I did two attempts. Fresh install of Mavericks, kexts installation, kernel panics, format and re-install , kexts installation, kernel panic....

Maybe do I need patched kexts? I´ve searched and searched and I don´t find them. Can I use original kexts? Is extract kexts with pacifist a right procedure? I was very hopeful. I'm doing wrong something ...

Hey,

first of all, I'd reccomend a second Hard Drive. If you have a running system, clone it to the second harddrive with carbon copy cloner. Apply the chimera bootloader to the second harddrive as well. So you always have a fallback and a second boot option to manage your bricked production system if something goes wrong.

Secondly, If you replace those kexts, hopefully you deleted the ones first, you want to replace. Then, rebuild the kernel cache with kext utility and fix permissions on the /S/L/E folder.

Third, if you extract kexts, you always have to be asure, you'd extracted ALL instances. So, the packages sometimes are split, so for example in some package there is just a part of the kext (some files) and in another package there is the other part. This is due the nature of a kext which is nothing more than a folder structure with a special flag let it appear as a file.

I attach my two kexts which are working as a zip, so give it a try. I guess, at your first attempt, you did extract the kext files only partially from the packages of your 10.9.1 instance.

Try to work with npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No and the newest Chimera Bootloader as this worked for me on my Dual  Supermicro [/size]x9DAi[/size]

So first I would install a 10.9.1 System, try to get it to work.

Then I would clone drive to a second one, boot from the second one to test if works.

Then copy aside the both kexts AppleACPIPlatform.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext

Then I would boot to 1st System, do a Update Combo or Appstore

Then boot to the 2nd System (still 10.9.1), exchange the kexts on the 1st Systems drive (delete the updated ones first). Repair permissions on the 1st System (can do that with Disk Utility as well. Regenerate Kernel Caches on 1st Systems Drive.

Boot with -f npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No[/size]

If you lucky to boot to 1st, first thing is to run (newest) kext utility on boot drive to again repair perm and regen kernel cache.[/size]

Reboot without -f the first system.[/size]

If everything works, you sync the 1st drive to the 2nd. Try to boot the second one as test.[/size]

Then you can install nvidia webdriver, add nvda_drv=1 to your kernel flags and change the driver in the system preferences to use nvidia ones. Worked for me. The nvidia drivers are a bit slower in luxmark (opencl) bench, though.

Much luck!,

Mike

If your board runs a Intel i350 Gigabit Controller, additionally use the kext attached. It does following:

Add string0x15218086 to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntelI210Ethernet.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Delete second String 15338086

Worked for me as well...

Kexts.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Mike.. no words to express my gratitude....

Yes, what you say make sense and I think it confirms my guess. Opening basesystems packages I could see at least two packages with /s/l/e/ and these kexts. Essentials.pkg  and essentialsbinaries.pkg. I thought kexts from essentialbinaries.pkg was the right, simply by the size of the files. I was not sure, I risked and, well, I see I was completly wrong.

I was thinking in install 10.9.1 only to take these kexts. Thanks for upload them. And thanks for your advices.  I´m gonna try right now. ..

Finally ....It's working!!!!!!!!

I did it from a clean maverick's install. That is what I did:

-Install Mavericks (10.9.4)

-Install chameleon and a basic configuration with ... you know. I followed rampage's guide, what include nvram.dylib module. I don´t use nvda_drv opc)

-First reboot, ok

-Replace two kexts attached by fearandleb :) :)

-Second reboot ... finally ok

-Install nvidia appropiate version for my card according to nvidia's info (Not the last. I´m sure it doesn't matter... just in case)

-Third reboot... ok but nvidia driver it's not selected in control panel. I selected it, reboot again

... And everything is OK. Nvidia driver, selected, and working :lol: . Now , UI responds fine. Fluent. No flickers, no jumps. QE/CI working .I installed cuda drivers too.

I don´t know why, but osX driver didn't work for me. I needed nvida driver.

I only see something wrong. Control panel doesn't show devices to select in ECC tab. Anyway, I'm very happy. My first improve on my hackintosh project.

Thanks.