Gathering Info While Waiting 4 Yosemite

TechXero

5 posts in this topic

Hey Hackintoshers.

I am sorry if that's not the place to ask this. Mods feel free to move this to where it belongs if not.

That said, I am trying to gather as much info as possible about my Hardware while waiting for Yosemite to be available in GM or Final. I already have an old machine running Mavericks with everything working except iMessage.

Now on to my build :

- GA-X79-UP4 Mobo (Latest Bios F7)

- Core i7-3820 LGA2011 CPU

- 32gb Kingston HyperX Beast 1600 RAM

- nVidia 650Ti Boost OC GPU

- Kingston HyperX 120gb SSD

- Tons of regular Hard Drives

I am planning on using Yosemite as my daily driver over Windows, simply because I love OSX but can't afford a real Mac. Will be using Parallels for any minor Windows tasks and Windows 8.1.1 on a separate Hard Drive that I will leave disconnected while using OSX. Just for security reasons.

Now I usually wait for myHack to get updated as that tool always worked out of the box for me, but am seeing lots of reports that Clover is better for Yosemite than Chameleon. Finally I hope someone can help me get ready for Yosemite when it comes out as to what tools or Kexts I will need etc...

Thanks guys, 

Stay awesome ;)

I would highly recommend Clover over Chameleon, although it is mostly a matter of personal preference. The Clover wiki has improved a lot since it started, there are now a lot of great guides including the official one here on IM, and it's a lot simpler and less intimidating to configure now thanks to Clover Configurator. I can't say how well Chameleon works with Yosemite compared to Clover as I no longer use it, but it is compatible now. I haven't really had any problems with Clover and Yosemite, and support continues to improve rapidly. As for kexts AFAIK you shouldn't need anything for X79 besides the usual FakeSMC, audio, and power management fixes. The only other problem I can foresee is possible issues with the bootscreen (only happens on some cards/configurations) as seen here and here, which have for the most part been solved. The only other small issue is that Clover can't boot without the kernel cache on Yosemite yet, which isn't too big of an issue. Also, the trim patch is different in Yosemite: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/298507-enable-trim-on-non-apple-ssd/

I would recommend getting Clover working on your current install before you prepare to upgrade to Yosemite (it's easy to test and configure from a thumb drive before actually installing it). You can even find a Clover config.plist and SSDT for your board using the X79 DMG from RampageDev. You will probably want for your Windows install to be UEFI when using Clover, otherwise you will probably only be able to boot it from the F12 menu since Clover doesn't play well with MBR drives. 

Keep a Mavericks clone for a while until you can confirm that all your applications are working properly on Yosemite. BTW need the latest Parallels 9 for Yosemite.

That's about all I can think of, most of it should be pretty much the same as a typical Mavericks install. 

Hello,

Thank you for the detailed explanation buddy. But I have never used Clover before. I am testing it with Mavericks now on that X79 rig of mine. Still in the creating USB part as we speak. It's taking forever no idea why. Also I will be using an old Transcend SSD 128gb. As for Trim I have no idea what it is as I have never used it.

I have gone through the AIO Guide here. I cannot understand much since I have been a myHack user since its early days. I will keep testing but that requires more time than I got. I need someone to guide me through in person via Skype or any IM since it's faster and might require much less time.

Anyways will keep trying within the limited time I got. In case all fails I will have no choice but to give up although I really need to move away from Windows because am sick of it and no longer game. 

If anyone here can help via IM please let me know I am kinda desperate now...

Thanks for your time ;)